Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Sep 15, 2013.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Pretty formulaic like a lot of this stuff.

2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Tagging as opposed to street art started out on New York subways. A way for alienated youth and those in dead end jobs to get noteriety.

It wasn't connected to art market or done for monetary gain. Partly done at night as people were working in the day.

It wasn't even meant to be that artistic.

Though as one sees above in photos it's become more like high quality graphic design.

3. teuchter

4. Gramsci

The one behind Tesco's is cut above the average. I don't know who did it. Look at how colours and design fit in with background.

5. teuchter

My impression (which has changed a bit in the past few days as a result of what happened in LJ and what I've been reading up on as a result) is that a lot of this scene - in the UK at the moment - is not really 'alienated youth' but kids from relatively affluent backgrounds. And that's also my (slightly surprised) observation of the kids showing up to leave flowers and so on - I passed several groups wandering around last week.

6. ricbake

ricbake working out how

It does look in place, but they are just a graphic, formulaic is about right. Also this One looks unfinished, the shading on Trip is unfinished.

7. Gramsci

Well I like graphics. Reminded me my brother said there is exhibition of graphics at Somerset House.

I thought the shading being left off Trip was intentional. Meant to look that way. Fits in with the schema.

8. Gramsci

I was talking about New York.

As a lot of street art and graffiti is underground I wouldn't make assumptions on class background.

Kind of surprised you say this. Is this not making assumptions about a group of people? Something you've criticused me for.

editor likes this.
  9. teuchter

It is I guess. Feel free to criticise as you see appropriate.

10. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

CH1 likes this.
  11. Ian Clark

Ian Clark Active Member

I had a long chat with a pair of them on Sunday whilst pulling in our A-boards. They said to me that it was partly to deter damage to the station and mostly to stop anyone else getting up on to the tracks to either fulfill the challenge of tagging whatever was intended or more horribly to stop sympathetic suicide at the same spot.

editor and teuchter like this.
  12. teuchter

13. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

Welcome back. Hope your telling off wasn't too horrible.

I'm not sure that it is worse and I'm not sure LJ isn't down to 3 trains per hour. This timetable doesn't show the Southern trains running through Beckenham Junction. I'm presuming that these are still running?

14. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I don't think so. If you ask nationalrail.co.uk for LGJ-ZFD on Monday morning, there's an 0745, 0800, no 0815, 0830, 0845, no 0915, 0930, 0945, 1000, 1015, no 1030. If you're only going as far as Blackfriars, there's Southeastern 0819, 0849, 0919 to fill the gaps.

That 0830 train is going to be absolute mayhem.

15. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Honestly, how badly do you have to screw up in order to get a franchise taken off you? Wish they'd let TFL give it the overground treatment.

16. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right. I was thinking about the route to Blackfriars. The fillers work, but you need to swap at BF, if you want a through train

17. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

They're all Platform 4 stoppers too, so you have to go the long way round.

18. teuchter

The situation is currently such that it's impossible to fix it quickly. Whoever took control of the franchise.

NB that if TfL took over, they wouldn't be stepping into Govia's shoes but the DfT's shoes as franchise specifier rather than operator.

19. goldengraham

goldengraham Well-Known Member

Yep - Arriva currently operates the London Overground franchise if that's what you're thinking of

20. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

Ah interesting.. didn't realise that!