Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

www.facebook.com/groups/LoughboroughRDSW9history

Saturday 16th June 2-3.30pm
    At Lambeth Archives, Minet Library, 52 Knatchbull Road, SE5 9QY

Join us to find out more about our project exploring the history of the Loughborough Road. We'll be sharing some of the documents we've been looking to undercover the stories of people and businesses. We want to hear your memories of the area too.

We would love to hear from you.

leaftra@gmail.com

www.twitter.com/roadsw9

My note. This is Heritage Lottery funded.

" we will be running training in spoken history interviewing skills or help with research."

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I see from a flyer in the DIY shop that this is on today

Capture+_2018-06-16-14-32-52.png

Gramsci likes this.
  3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Warrior Studios in the arches opposite Tescos is open to public this weekend

20180616_135807.jpg 20180616_135816.jpg

Pickman's model and CH1 like this.
  4. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

69F53CA7-3262-4A1A-BFCF-CAAAB599E0A1.jpeg The band that played on the bandstand in Myatt’s Field today at around 4.30 were great. They got all the young children up on the stage to sing on the last song. It was proper fun. Photo doesn’t do it justice but it was a great moment.

editor and Gramsci like this.
  5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Three people have died after being struck by a train near Loughborough Junction in south London.

Emergency services were called shortly after 07:30 BST to reports of multiple bodies being found.

Three killed by train in south London

6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

7. teuchter

8. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Christ! I’ve just seen that on the news. I wonder what would lead people to be on the track.

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

unlikely to be a triple suicide...

10. teuchter

It's likely that they were not struck by a train but touched the live rail.

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

It says they were hit by train, but hopefully that's wrong. helicopter directly above station, probably news gawping.

12. Smick

Could the electricity from the live rail jump from one person to another?

They might have been trying to nick cable. I hope it's not kids taking a shortcut.

13. Smick

RT have got a video on twitter of the bodies in body bags and trains going past. I feel a bit ghoulish for trying to find out more, but that is a whole other level!

14. Mr Smin

Mr Smin Registered Luser

Electricity takes the path of least resistance. I think they'd have to be very close or even holding hands.

15. teuchter

I see it's not the line through Loughborough Junction station but the main line that crosses at high level, running between Denmark Hill and Brixton.

16. Smick

Yeah, beside those blocks of flats on Loughborough Road.

I don't think it's London Overground nor the train from Tulse Hill to Blackfriars. I am not sure which line it is.

17. Sea Star

Sea Star My gender is not up for debate

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 at 12:22 PM
  18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Guardian story has a still from sky news’s helicopter footage of the body bags. just horrible.

19. teuchter

It's the Overground line. There are 4 tracks there; it looks like it happened on the northernmost pair of tracks which are not the ones the Overground trains actually run along but they are right beside.

20. teuchter

News helicopter still circling around. Haven't they got what they want? There's no more useful information to be gained. It's ghoulish. Go away.

bimble likes this.
  21. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Both the BBC and the Guardian say all three were hit by a train rather than electrocuted although they may have been electrocuted before the train hit them. Looks like a raised section of track so unlikely to be people taking a shortcut.

22. teuchter

I actually saw people walking along there once. Luckily a train stopped and the driver told them to get on board before anything nasty happened. That was in broad daylight. However it's clear from where graffiti is that people must go up on the tracks sometimes, presumably at night.

23. ricbake

ricbake working out how

From the Guardian picture taken from Sky it is the section of track between Coldharbour Lane and Belinda Road where the Tesco Express is. It is exposed and over looked all along that section - no business being up there. Got to assume that they must have been electrocuted before being hit by a train, one gets caught on the live rail then the others try to pull him off - all gone.

24. teuchter

TV crews are lined up outside LJ station like numpties. No point asking anyone using LJ station whether they saw anything, it's a different track. They should be at Denmark Hill asking their pointless questions there instead.

Mr Smin and bimble like this.
  25. teuchter

...and various folk prowling around in Wyck Gardens with telephoto lenses.

26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I’ve fled for a few hours feels like a gruesome feeding frenzy at the end of the road and overhead.

27. bolgerp

bolgerp Well-Known Member

BBC now saying spray cans found by the bodies.

28. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Metro has that now and according to the Grauniad

BTP said it was carring out a “number of inquiries” to establish how they came to be on the tracks, amid speculation that the three were hit by a freight train overnight.
    The victims are believed to be three men, who were possibly on the railway tracks to spray graffiti. According to people working in rail, the accident is thought to have occurred at about 5am, before passenger services were running in the area. They believe the victims may have been caught by the slipstream of a passing empty train on its way to a depot.
    Police were alerted to the fatalities after a driver saw bodies on the tracks while operating an early morning service. Trains in depots were being examined to identify the train that was involved in the incident.

29. this is what I have heard - terribly terribly sad

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That is so fucking sad. Three people dead over some artwork that most people won't even notice. And I feel sorry for the drivers and those people who have to clear up these scenes. It must be unbelievably distressing,