1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Sep 15, 2013.

1. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Thanks! Lots of clean cars in Loughborough junction!

2. footballerslegs

footballerslegs Well-Known Member

IMG_4522.JPG IMG_4523.JPG LJ Christmas fair is on at Sunshine Cafe - definitely worth a look around. There's an artist there selling prints of his paintings of LJ and Brixton. I'm no art expert but I loved them.

friendofdorothy, Angellic and Gramsci like this.
  3. Harbourite

Harbourite Eggnog

Does anyone know if Adrian at the Blue Turtle cafe is OK? It's been closed for a few days now ...

Also I heard a rumour that the shop being refurb'd between Costcutter and the Blessed takeaway will be an estate agent :facepalm: someone please tell me this is not the case

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Warrior Studios (in the arches opposite Tescos) have open studio next weekend:

Camberwell Open Studios this weekend - Saturday Night Music and drinks!

[​IMG]

Just wanted to invite you all to Warrior Studios' open weekend this Saturday and Sunday. We have a host of great stuff going on throughout the daytimes and a bit of a party on Saturday night with live music and drinks, so come on down!

One feature this time, being almost Christmas, will be Jane Campbell selling her seasonal collaged cards. She says:

"These cards are hand made with vintage buttons and fabric, using water based adhesive. I love fabric and enjoy the juxtaposition of colours and textures. Every card is different and often not documented, so each is a truly unique piece of work" ...and they're only £3.50 each!

5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Arrived into LJ yesterday, for the first time, on one of the shiny new Thameslink trains. These will gradually replace the existing ones from now on.

They do seem to have quite a bit more standing room space. We'll see if that helps with the morning peak capacity problems. I expect they'll simply continue to be packed full, but with a larger number of people, on arrival at LJ.

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.25.30.jpg

Gramsci, Angellic and brixtonblade like this.
  6. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

People were apparently fainting and fighting due to train overcrowding this morning (according to twitter).

7. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Got one of the new train a while ago. Really like them. Luckily I only use them to go Sutton route. Doubt I'd like them if I were going the other way.

8. goldengraham

goldengraham Well-Known Member

The railway arches at the bottom of Herne Hill Rd (soapy moos, alpha motors etc) have now been repossessed by Network Rail for redevelopment. Alpha has moved round the corner to the industrial estate on Hardess Street.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

*fingers crossed* waitrose?

Waladli, goldengraham and Gramsci like this.
  10. teuchter

For those following the Carnegie Library plans... there is a planning application in at the moment, to add a gym to the basement including various external extensions. Comments/objections need to be made by next Monday, 12th December. I have put a summary of the proposals on the Carnegie thread here:

Save Lambeth Libraries and the Carnegie Library occupation

11. Gramsci

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Gramsci likes this.
  14. Gramsci

Few shots of the now closed car wash. 20170102_143131.jpg 20170102_143147.jpg 20170102_143212.jpg 20170102_143218.jpg

15. Gramsci

I like the Blue Turtle coffee bar do 20170102_143701.jpg or

CH1 likes this.
  16. Gramsci

Loughborough Farm will be open Saturday selling vegetables and herbs.

17. bolgerp

bolgerp Well-Known Member

This thread has become very quiet since I moved away to Forest Hill... coincidence?

Joking aside, I do like to check in from time to time to see how the old 'hood is doing. But it has seemed very quite on the forums. Is this a good sign that things are quiet and not much is happening? Hope so...

18. Gramsci

19. Gramsci

20. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

C&P from my Inbox for circulation:

"In the links below is information about a forthcoming enterprise programme taking place on the Loughborough Estate. It is part of the LJWORKS PROJECT that has been funded by the Mayor of London's office to develop the Loughborough Farm and nearby railway arches into workspaces and offer opportunities to local people to establish their businesses.

I would be grateful if this info in Love Lambeth and LJAG websites could be circulated to your networks and put up on websites or anywhere where local people may become aware of it.

Although the start date has already happened people are still welcomed to join.

http://www.loughboroughjunction.org/tree-shepherd-local-business-training-premises-and-other-opportunities-at-ljworks

http://www.loughboroughjunction.org/ljworks-free-business-course-and-jobs-events

http://love.lambeth.gov.uk/lj-works-jan-2017/?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17118-372469-Community+round+up+-+25+January+2017 "

21. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

22. teuchter

The smell from the dreadful cheese incident still lingers on in the Co-op, I note each time I'm in there.

Harbourite likes this.
  23. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

24. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Gramsci and CH1 like this.
  25. Gramsci

This came up at the LJ Neighbourhood Planning Forum. People from estate said the publicity was uninviting .

The post meeting chat voiced scepticism that this kind of thing is not proper training for secure jobs. One of the concerns for the estate is that this is all LJ Works will offer.

26. Harbourite

Harbourite Eggnog

the volume of dog shit on pavements around LJ seems to have reached record levels

27. teuchter

I note someone has been outlining some of them in pink spraypaint.

28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Seems to be a rave type event at the evicted car wash on HHR.
    Bassy ambients evident even in the Costcutter Off licence.

Harbourite likes this.
  29. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Looks like squatters. They've left an impressive legal notice on the shutters.

30. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

I have never noticed the cheese issue in the co-op. However, this grey cold morning, as I was buying some eggs, the PA system interrupted the music to try to sell me a co-op funeral. It explained that due to regional variations the cost of my grave will not be included in the price.
    Not sure about this advertising strategy. I walked out with just the eggs, when usually i might've added something frivolous like juice or biscuits, but there didn't seem any point.

technical, Gramsci and CH1 like this.