Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Sep 15, 2013.

1. davidaheath

davidaheath Well-Known Member

As soon as I am not hungover one morning I am definitely going to visit on my way to the tube to pick up a coffee.

2. editor

editor hiraethified

3. editor

editor hiraethified

This sounds great.
    ‘Made in Loughborough Junction’ – award-winning photographer Giles Duley appointed to work on new local exhibition

4. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Because I live close by, I don't really have occasion to go in there, so wouldn't be well qualified to do a review.

On the couple of times I've been in though, it's seemed like a friendly and unpretentious place. With some quite enthusiastic interior decor.

5. Merlin85

Merlin85 New Member

Im looking to buy a flat and am thinking about Loughborough Junction around Hinton road / Flaxman Road but have heard some bad things about safety along Coldharbour Lane and around the station. Is it really that bad? I live in Brixton and like the idea of LJ but as a female i don't want to feel nervous walking home when it is dark.

6. editor

editor hiraethified

Ten years ago it was a very different story, but so long as you're reasonably street wise, you should be fine.

7. Merlin85

Merlin85 New Member

I am so hopefully that means it should be ok! I like the idea of seeing it change in the next few years.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

Let's hope that that change doesn't price out the community who have been living there through the good and bad times.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. Merlin85

Merlin85 New Member

No but it would be nice if small business could start up there benefiting them and also the local community.

10. davidaheath

davidaheath Well-Known Member

I know what you mean.

Almost daily I start to get nervous approaching the station. My eyes flicker from left to right scanning for danger, and especially if it's dark or it's been raining recently it can be a complete nightmare. Just when you think you're safe and you've made it through the area outside the station *BAM* your shoe clips one of the loose paving slabs and your well practiced swagger is ruined as you stumble forward slightly. No one noticed, but you know. You know.

One of these days someone is going to have a nasty accident on those.

leanderman, Brixton Hatter and editor like this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

12. teuchter

I've walked through that small park recently and noticed how run down and ill-maintained it is - clearly some work went into landscaping it and providing various benches and other furniture some years ago, but it's now all overgrown and rotting. It's pretty obvious that Lambeth haven't cared about it at all for some time.

I'm not in any way having a go at the organisers of this event but it seems a bit like "come and work for free to sort out the park that your local authority has left to rot. Project generously supported by Lambeth parks dept."

Gramsci likes this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

Sure, but better to have a bit of local initiative than letting it carry on rotting away though, no?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I notice that LJAG have done a good job cleaning up the grassy patch on the corner of Loughborough Road and Coldharbour Lane (next to former Midland Bank and opposite Save More Special Brew emporium).
    It really used to look a mess of bottles, cans and rubbish. Now it is almost like a park lawn.

15. teuchter

The Cambria is spreading rumour that Heston Blumenthal has been filming something there :hmm:

16. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I think editor said there was an unidentifiable to him TV chef (not Jamie Oliver) filming on Station Rd last week. Could these 2 events be linked? :hmm:

17. editor

editor hiraethified

18. editor

editor hiraethified

It wasn't the baldy one.

colacubes likes this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

20. editor

editor hiraethified

I was chatting to the young lad who started up the Blue Turtle Oasis cafe by the station. He said that business was a bit slow, so if anyone's in the area and needs a ruddy good cup of coffee, I can heartily recommend the place. It really is worth supporting.

thatguyhex, Gramsci and goldengraham like this.
  21. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

22. beckash

beckash Member

Does anyone know if Degrill on the corner of Wellfit Street has closed? It certainly looks that way, the sign's been taken down.

23. boohoo

boohoo No.

If you think Lambeth don't care, you should take a look at Croydon parks!

gaijingirl and teuchter like this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

Review of SEM cafe coming up soon!

goldengraham and teuchter like this.
  25. editor

editor hiraethified

han, Brixton Hatter, Gramsci and 3 others like this.
  26. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

27. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

The interior is amazing and now on my list to visit.

28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

29. teuchter

It mainly serves the multiple car mechanic operations in various railway arches nearby.

There's not currently the most equal gender balance in that profession.

Whenever I've been in Sem cafe it's been perfectly welcoming and not "blokey" in any intimidating kind of way.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  30. teuchter

editor feel free to use my photo of Sem Cafe East Berlin style from earlier in the thread, for the review, if you want.

[​IMG]