Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

editor

hiraethified
This sounds great.
The Loughborough Junction Action Group (LJAG) has appointed award-winning photographer Giles Duley to work with young people in the Loughborough Junction area on an Arts Council and Lambeth funded photographic project “Made in Loughborough Junction” designed to capture the spirit of the junction with an outdoor photographic exhibition featuring all the creative talent at work in the area.

Young people from the Milkwood estate will get a lesson in overcoming the odds from a famous documentary photographer as part of a new art project to capture portraits of local people at work.
‘Made in Loughborough Junction’ – award-winning photographer Giles Duley appointed to work on new local exhibition

teuchter

je suis teuchter
Not yet, although I've been there a couple of times and quite liked the place. Want to write the review?
Because I live close by, I don't really have occasion to go in there, so wouldn't be well qualified to do a review.

On the couple of times I've been in though, it's seemed like a friendly and unpretentious place. With some quite enthusiastic interior decor.

Merlin85

Im looking to buy a flat and am thinking about Loughborough Junction around Hinton road / Flaxman Road but have heard some bad things about safety along Coldharbour Lane and around the station. Is it really that bad? I live in Brixton and like the idea of LJ but as a female i don't want to feel nervous walking home when it is dark.

editor

hiraethified
Im looking to buy a flat and am thinking about Loughborough Junction around Hinton road / Flaxman Road but have heard some bad things about safety along Coldharbour Lane and around the station. Is it really that bad? I live in Brixton and like the idea of LJ but as a female i don't want to feel nervous walking home when it is dark.
Ten years ago it was a very different story, but so long as you're reasonably street wise, you should be fine.

davidaheath

I know what you mean.

Almost daily I start to get nervous approaching the station. My eyes flicker from left to right scanning for danger, and especially if it's dark or it's been raining recently it can be a complete nightmare. Just when you think you're safe and you've made it through the area outside the station *BAM* your shoe clips one of the loose paving slabs and your well practiced swagger is ruined as you stumble forward slightly. No one noticed, but you know. You know.

One of these days someone is going to have a nasty accident on those.

teuchter

je suis teuchter
I've walked through that small park recently and noticed how run down and ill-maintained it is - clearly some work went into landscaping it and providing various benches and other furniture some years ago, but it's now all overgrown and rotting. It's pretty obvious that Lambeth haven't cared about it at all for some time.

I'm not in any way having a go at the organisers of this event but it seems a bit like "come and work for free to sort out the park that your local authority has left to rot. Project generously supported by Lambeth parks dept."

editor

hiraethified
I'm not in any way having a go at the organisers of this event but it seems a bit like "come and work for free to sort out the park that your local authority has left to rot. Project generously supported by Lambeth parks dept."
Sure, but better to have a bit of local initiative than letting it carry on rotting away though, no?

Last edited:

CH1

"Red Guard"(NLYL)
I notice that LJAG have done a good job cleaning up the grassy patch on the corner of Loughborough Road and Coldharbour Lane (next to former Midland Bank and opposite Save More Special Brew emporium).
It really used to look a mess of bottles, cans and rubbish. Now it is almost like a park lawn.

Brixton Hatter

Home is south London mate

beckash

Does anyone know if Degrill on the corner of Wellfit Street has closed? It certainly looks that way, the sign's been taken down.

teuchter

je suis teuchter
It mainly serves the multiple car mechanic operations in various railway arches nearby.

There's not currently the most equal gender balance in that profession.

Whenever I've been in Sem cafe it's been perfectly welcoming and not "blokey" in any intimidating kind of way.