Lord Carrington has died

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by JuanTwoThree, Jul 10, 2018.

1. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

2. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Heck, I didn't realise he'd been around that long.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Never mind eh

Badgers likes this.
  4. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Humiliated by Johnny Foreigner in the south Atlantic- they didn’t play by the rules

5. Pickman's model

JF or MT? Or both?

William of Walworth, tim and Badgers like this.
  6. JuanTwoThree

Not beside myself with grief. But an Old Etonian tank commander with an MC who resigned because he accepted personal responsibility for the Foreign Office's failings in the lead-up to the Falklands and who headed up the talks that led to the end of Rhodesia is the kind of Tory that I think of with more affection than I do the current crop of spivs, buffoons, chancers, and blowhards that make up the present-day Tory-boy wankers. Carrington resigned because it was, he thought, the right thing to do. Johnson has resigned because he is an opportunistic pedigree wanker.

Radiatori, Riklet, Nylock and 16 others like this.
  7. Pickman's model

I hope bj dies much younger than 99

8. not-bono-ever

Carrers believed in honour amongst gentlemen as he tried to negotiate leasing back the god forsaken place to the Argentinians but the junta saw this as a weakness and piled in - so carrington I suppose

Lots of dead for fuck all

9. Pickman's model

How soon 9 June 1983 is forgotten

10. Idris2002

Idris2002 Christmas eve, you know?

Could part of the story have been that the Conservative and Unionist Nicer Togethers assumed that General Videla "a good chap for a dago", as they were all on the same "free world" team?

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

nope, even the FCO - as craven a bunch as you could have the misfortune to meet - knew that the junta was a deeply unpleasant regime, one of the things that spun out the negotiations for the best part of four decades was the constitutional protections the FCO wanted the various Argentine governments they dealt with to put in place for the benefit of the Islanders. they wanted rid of the Islands, to please the LatAms, the Americans and the Treasury, but even they baulked at just handing them over - it also should be noted that one of the central planks of the various deals the Argentines were offered was that while Argentina would have sovereignty, or joint sovereignty, the administration of the Islands was supposed to be either done by the UK, or the Islanders, or the UN. i'm not entirely sure the FCO ever actually came to a working proposal with Argentina that the FCO considered to be 'good enough' to be put to cabinet, it was all just dancing around an aspiration that no one could find a viable path to...

12. not-bono-ever

Kissinger was cool With the junta

13. not-bono-ever

Cool with the junta - now there is a catchy song title

14. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

'ells bells, I thought he'd died years ago.

15. JuanTwoThree

He was no flake

16. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

I forget who said it, but the Official History of the war quotes someone as describing the Falklands as "islands entirely surrounded by advice".

kebabking likes this.
  17. Idris2002

Idris2002 Christmas eve, you know?

That sounds fair enough, but I actually wasn't thinking of "Carelton-Browne of the FO" so much as I was thinking of "Lucky Lucan of the Monday Club". After all, wasn't there a proposal for a "South Atlantic Treaty Organization" that would include Portugal, Apartheid South Africa, Argentina and Brazil, when the latter were both under military juntas?

18. not-bono-ever

SA nukes,Brazil virtual nukes, Argentina potential for nukes

Would have been a delightful organisation

US mooted to counter international communism.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  19. not-bono-ever

We forget that S A wanted to nuke Angola at one point whenits advisors were getting spanked by the Cubans

20. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

mal jaapies

21. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

22. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Thank fuck it's not over.

He who laughs last laughs longest. Britain 1 - 0 Argentina.

As always though, mixed feelings.

23. Sasaferrato

A long and worthy life.

24. Sasaferrato

I always feel that someone dying at 99 was a bit unlucky, it's not quite the century.

25. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

I liked Blake.