Look out Apple and Samsung: Xiaomi announce new stunning new models

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

What maomao said, but also as a guide to (Mandarin) Chinese pronunciation get this app. There's an app called pinyin chart too which is good... It's actually not that hard to get your head around the basics, pinyin is nicely phonetic and the number of phonemes used is quite limited. Learning characters is a whole different kettle of fish of course, but even that is somewhat blown out of proportion.

2. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I'd read that it was pronounced like Show-me. Is that right?

3. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Only if that's show as in shower.

4. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

Yay, I knew how to pronounce it :cool:

5. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

Looks like an iPhone killer to me! :D

6. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Here is how or c&p 小米 here and click to listen... The first is a bit wrong because the voice is obviously saying the two parts separately. Also, as noted, when you have two falling rising tones together, the first becomes a rising tone. The google translate version seems more accurate. Here is a BBC piece precisely on how to say it. I think Shao-me (like we would say Shaolin) is probably the simplest and closest and seems to be what they're using. Just to confuse things the 'sh' sound in pinyin uses a slightly more curled tongue and is quite different from 'xi' which uses a straight tongue.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seeing as they've just knocked them into third place, I think they might have something to worry about.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well, here's an interesting handset
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Nivag, cybershot and Throbbing Angel like this.
  9. dervish

Yeah, for the asking price that is a beast of a phone.

And no notch!

10. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

I've had a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 for the past 18 months or so. It's been a decent phone and it cost £150 or something ridiculous. 64GB storage. I've always had a budget phone and this is probably the best one I've had.

Recently the battery was running down really quickly (altho that seems to have stopped now, god knows what was causing it) so I decided to splash out on a Xiaomi Pocophone F1. £280 and its got 128GB, the same processor that's in a Samsung G9 or whatever it's called and "liquid cooling". Probably massive overkill for what I will use it for but it's still about a tenner month over the same period as most companies insist you sign up for.

Also got a SIM off Virgin for £6 a month for more minutes than I will ever need and a bit of data.

Only thing is it will take about three weeks to arrive. :(

Pocophone F1 Review | Trusted Reviews

editor likes this.
  11. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I've been buying Xiaomi phones for a few years now. I'll soon be replacing my Mi6 with the Mi8, which is better in pretty much every way than the newest iPhone, and it's 1/4 the price.

Badgers likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No NFC? That's a killer blow for me.

13. tommers

I don't even know what that is.

Oh right, I've just googled it. I can't use it to pay for stuff. I've never done that anyway.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I use it most days for the tube and paying for food.

tommers likes this.
  15. tommers

How does it work? Do you link it to your bank account? And how does that get recorded? Do you see every journey on your statement?

I still use an Oyster card. :D

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Works the same as a contactless card.

Badgers likes this.
  17. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Official uk presence?

27613317-31EB-4E43-9747-265FA39E6D32.jpeg

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

What's going to happen to Apple's sales when it becomes trendy to own a phone made in China* at a fraction of the price of an inferior offering.

*as opposed to a phone made in China.

20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

UK pre-orders from today

Screenshot_2018-11-09-06-41-07-1.png

tommers likes this.
  22. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

No difference whatsoever. Apple zealots only buy Apple because Apple. People who objectively compare & contrast different brands in order to make an informed, intelligent & unbiased choice may be swayed by the cheap but impressive tech coming out of China. But Apple folk will still buy Apple, because it's Apple.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  23. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I bought one of their fitbit things a couple of years back but couldnt get it to sync even when I pretended to be in China. I presume that will no longer be an issue.

Badgers likes this.
  24. tommers

Pocophones are £279 on Amazon for Black Friday.

I don't know a vast amount about phones but I love mine.

amzn.eu/d/eh28sHr

Oh, that's the 64GB version, 128GB is £330. So it's still cheaper off of that GearBest.

25. dervish

I've got the Mi fit 3, it's actually pretty good. Battery life is excellent, it shows some of the text when a message comes in and it works as a watch pretty well. It's also dirt cheap.

Badgers likes this.