1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Street Markets - which is best and why?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by hipipol, Feb 3, 2018.

1. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

For my first few years in London I was a tube addict, if it wasn't on the map - fuck it
    Luckily though I was obliged to move to Stoke Newington and discovered Ridley Road Market - still the best place on the planet to buy flammable garments!!!! - but most importantly, Veg
    Current location means its Lewisham that now provides almost all of my veg, I avoid supermarkets as much as pos - and fake "farmers Markets" - these fuckers have rarely even listened to the Archers let alone ever set foot on/in a farm.
    During this week I got 3 small cabbages for a quid, 3 broccs for a quid, about 1.5 kilos of green beans for a quid, 3 large sweet pots for.., you guessed it, a quid, 3 leeks, a quid, 4 kilos of onions, £1.30 ( well you cant win em all, 6 courgettes for a quid
    Not only is it more fun than any supermarket, BUT, you get loads of good exercise getting your huge sacks of dinner home
    Of the other markets I have used, Walthamstow is fuckin ace, but a tad distant, Ridley Road - still blinding and thanks to the Overground, not that hard to get to, East Street - really sad, used to live on the Pullens and did all my shopping there - fuck me its gone down hill
    So, where do you like?

ska invita and Pickman's model like this.
  2. bimble

bimble noisy but small

What’s wrong with East Street market? I went this morning, love it. What makes you say it’s ‘sad’?
    I got loads of super cheap good fruit & veg plus 3 jumpers (with the high street labels cut off) for £5.

3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Can't be arsed with them most of the time because of weather, being on at inconvenient times, and they mostly insist on cash and don't take cards.

4. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

I still do get some things from there if passing thru, it used to have better veg stalls cos there were more of em, fewer flammable garm outlets;):thumbs:

bimble likes this.
  5. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Been a couple of years since I was there but Leather Lane transformed itself from a tatty clothes market to an excellent lunchtime street food market over a 5-10 year period. Mediterranean salads, curries, falafels, burritos, kimchi... it's all there goddammit.

freethinker and Spymaster like this.
  6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

hipipol Was raining today so those tables near the end piled high with mysteriously sourced clothing were less flammable than usual . :thumbs:

hipipol likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Brixton's many street markets used to be great but they're a pale shadow of their former glories these days :(

hipipol likes this.
  8. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Crystal Palace Market on Saturdays is excellent. Mix of locally grown food and flowers, organic grains and stuff, bread, alongside crafty stuff and street food.

And all next door to the junk/antique place. Mostly junk.

hash tag likes this.
  9. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

Whitechapel great for fruit / veg, flammable garments and Islamic kitsch.

ska invita and hipipol like this.
  10. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I like Romford Market. A little down on its luck at the moment but 750 years old and still very local in character. I sometimes dream of giving up working for cunts and getting a little stall there.

Have a massive soft spot for Ridley Rd. I lived within earshot of it for over three years and had my wedding reception over the road. I dressed pretty much exclusively in one pound t-shirts for quite a while.

Walthamstow's wonderful for the sheer size and narrowness. I used to walk there over the marshes from Hackney, walk the whole length of it then get the train back.

Don't have a favourite really. They're all special.

freethinker likes this.
  11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The thing that made out in east street was the stall selling sarsperella, either hot by the cup or a bottle of the stuff.

12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Deptford flea market is brilliant. So many odd things for sale. Once saw a sonar machine from a fishing trawler that's used to detect shoals of fish

ska invita, Chz, darryl and 2 others like this.
  13. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

The thing that made out in east street was the stall selling sarsperella, either hot by the cup or a bottle of the stuff.
    Yep remember it well

oryx likes this.