London SlutWalk - now *11th*June, 1pm Trafalgar Square

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm right with the ladies with the cause but I'm not sure that the name (which relates to an incident in Canada) is the most effective way to frame the protest. But I'm probably wrong.

http://slutwalklondon.tumblr.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=197363420301422

2. where to

where to Well-Known Member

protesting about an off-the-cuff comment made by a copper in Canada who has already apologised and says he is embarressed by the remarks, which don't appear to have gained any traction or struck a chord in Canada or here.

bigger fish to fry.

3. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

cheers for posting - i was going to, but didn't want to start the bunfight :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/10/slutwalk-hollaback-sexual-assault
    i'm there. on rollerskates :D

4. TruXta

TruXta tired

5. tufty79

(EQUAL genderopps protest, btw ;))

6. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Maybe but the larger issues about how sexual abuse and rape victims are viewed and treated deserves to be looked at and constantly reviewed.

7. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Innit - I was waiting for TopCat to come and jump up and down about it.

8. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

I'm not sure how Mr _it would take it. I may go anyway. I will more than likely be far to busy though.

9. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

I might go on this, y'know, in solidarity with real victims rather than ones who make shit up.

10. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I've got nothing in the wardrobe; I might have to buy something . .

11. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

The framing has to do with reclaiming shaming words and turning them back around on the people who use them.

12. stuff_it

You know that's exactly what my family said when they found out I'd been attacked - that I shouldn't make things up and take attention away from real victims :(

Probably why I'm slightly worried about telling Mr _it (also there isn't really an easy way to drop that unless the opportunity presents itself.....it's not exactly 1st date material, but then when *do* you bring it up? Not really any need to unless it becomes relevant for one reason or another)

13. tufty79

always a tricky one, stuff_it, and i ain't really got any advice on that - different times for different people, innit? x

14. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Or you could have a massive argument (while drunk) about the slutwalk, this covering the whole 'ever been attacked?' subject, and work out actually your points of view aren't so different.
    ahem. :oops:

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm fully aware of the reason they've chosen the name of the event. I'm just not convinced that it's going to help them reach the widest possible audience. But that's just my opinion.

16. AKA pseudonym

AKA pseudonym Well-Known Member

so basically reclaim the streets in another guise?
    dunno how it went in England, but it ended up pretty divided with internal spats over here...

17. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

well then they are cunts, I'm talking about those other type of cunts what go telling people that their accusation was malicious etc. poor form.

18. stuff_it

With all the other stress I am under atm I wouldn't do that, even for the make-up sex.

Reclaim the sheets...

19. stethoscope

Do you mean Reclaim The Night and/or Million Women Rise?

Reclaim The Streets is the anti-car/eco direct action one.

20. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

I think there is a danger of that, another website I frequent has a thread which is basically full of "oh I better get out my white stilletos and boob tube...ha, ha ,ha " posts without anyone saying what the march was about...until muggins pointed it out and posted a link to the slutwalk website

However you are never going to convince or reach all of the people all of the time. And I suppose it may get a few more column inches because of the name and some people who may not have known it was on will read about it and support it, hopefully.

21. tufty79

[​IMG]

22. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I think challenging ingrained notions of gender are worthwhile.

And quite frankly, fuck 'em if they don't get the point. :)

23. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

No, sorry. that post was more about me than you. and not particularly sensitive.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But a poorly attended protest does no one any favours.

25. AKA pseudonym

AKA pseudonym Well-Known Member

oops reclaim the night....
    :oops:

26. tufty79

Ok, so the circles i mix in might be biased, but i've not come across a single one of my friends yet who's been put off attending by the name...

27. lopsidedbunny

lopsidedbunny Well-Known Member

I shall be there naked :)

28. tufty79

SUPERB *hands over the "nudest (wo?)man alive' crown* please, if you're serious and need a nakedbuddy, let me know? Elbow pads don't count as clothing, right? ;)

29. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

But originally in the mid 1980s "Reclaim the Streets" referred to anti drugs and prostitution protests in Kings Cross. So its been used for different purposes at different times.

30. stethoscope

So?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.