1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Sewing Machine Museum, Balham High Rd

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jan 25, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bahnhof Strasse and Maharani like this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Surprised that is still there. The guy that started it had a shop nearly next door which he said he was closing many months ago and he was retiring.

3. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I've been (I live just round the corner).

i think they have around 700 machines, dating back to the 1830s.

Because sewing has always had an important role in Fairy Tales, I like the fact that the gates to this museum only appear for three hours once every month and then they close again and the museum disappears once more.....:cool::cool:

First Saturday of every month from 2pm.....

4. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

I've been. I went buy some bits fir my 1901 singer from the shop below. Really beautiful machinery in upstairs museum. The company supplied the sewing machines for the all saints shops.

Maharani and editor like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I always found it a bit sad seeing all those lovely old sewing machines being relegated to props for a trendy fashion store, but I guess that's better than them being binned.

6. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

7. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

I always thought that when I passed an All Saints store. They must have thousands of them...

Ironic really cos you generally need a sewing machine buying their stuff. It ain't all that well made.

editor and Sirena like this.
  8. Sirena

Wimbledon Sewing Machine do that too. Or maybe they pass machines which are handed into them to the charity.

I gave them my old Singer a few years ago.

9. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Wow. My mum used to be a seamstress and comes from a family of taylers so I have an interest in this sort of thing. Another place I didn't know existed. :thumbs:

10. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

They should set up a sweat shop in there :oops:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  11. Once was dragged to a make-up museum in Hollywood, it had just opened and was 4 floors of exhibits; a compact used by Marilyn Monroe and so on...

I imagine it lasted longer than three hours, but not much.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  13. Sirena

lang rabbie and editor like this.
  14. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

There were millions of singers made and a lot of those supplied were ruined. All useful spares were removed as all saints only wanted the bodies. I got some original bobbins for my machine which had come from the all saints machines.

lang rabbie and editor like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus