1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Senior Cup Semi-Final Hamlet v Balham (at Carshalton) - Wednesday 4th April

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

In the grand scheme of things what we have seen, no matter how much we kid ourselves, is a strong Dulwich Hamlet side on paper, have been knocked out of the London Senior Cup at the semi final stage to an average, though not incompetent, Combined Counties League side that sit in mid-table of their division.
    At a time when our players have been paid month by month with supporters donating into the "12th MAN" buckets to ensure they do, as well as a lot of hard work behind the scenes from many to just keep the club afloat, this is a real kick in the teeth, and I don't even have many of them left to kick in!
    I realise it's not the greatest of competitions in the 'modern' overall scheme of things, but a final is a final, and not matter what happens it would have been a fitting finish if we had lifted it in what has been one of the most trying seasons not just in my lifetime, but the entire history of the Club.
    What the future holds I have no idea...but if the ground situation isn't sorted...I am extremely worried about the future. We will certainly have to go two steps back to move forward if we do not get home to Champion Hill with it under our own control over the next few months.
    Maybe we are concentrating on the league...but let's be honest, even if Billericay Town implode even more than they have been doing and we won the league [which I don't think they will] or if we make the play-offs, do we genuinely want to win them?
    For, if we go up and the situation stays the same surely the budget will have to cut drastically, and let's be honest how many of the current side will stay if that happens?
    We have done magnificently as a Club and community for them still have been paid their wages since Meadow Residential stopped having any input and loaded their debts onto us in November. I don't think any other club out there would have been able to do that.
    And yet it 'appears' (as fans tend to think, even if it's not entirely rational) that's how 'they' pay us back...with a lacklustre disinterested performance like last night.
    GUTTED doesn't even begin to cover how I feel this morning.
    But hey ho, we move on...I am working on Saturday, so have an 'excuse' not to be there, but will be at Tooting for the three home games next week.
    I will be turning up...I just hope the players do too.

2. Radical-Cliff

Radical-Cliff Old Spice

We move on.... yawn.

And focus on the league title and support those working behind the scene to save the future of the Club.

3. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Balham were well supported last night and their players definitely wanted the ball more when they didn't have it.
    Virtually all of Dulwich's shots were straight at the keeper bar the goal line clearance at the end.
    Their shot that eluded Corey at full stretch and thumped the post midway through the second half might have actually given Dulwich a kick up the arse if it had gone in and given enough time to do something about it.

4. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

100% agree with all of this...

Beaten by a bunch of committed amateur kids. The lack of effort and interest by our well paid semi-pros was embarrassing. Sanchez came up at the end to applaud the fans to say thanks for always being there "for us". Shame the same thing couldn't be said about half the team last night who played at training pace.

Scolly likes this.
  5. Dulwich Mishi

Well supported? Only because family and friends of their players turned up for their biggest ever semi-final in their short history.
    Their last three home crowds have been 30, 31 and 33. Therir highest of the season at home was 43 and their lowest so far is an attedance of 21-TWICE!

Bugpowder Dust likes this.
  6. Balham4life

Balham4life New Member

You fellas are sore sore losers... go get a job COYB!!

blueheaven and GregDHFC like this.
  7. Balham4life

Balham4life New Member

I’m guessing you was the kid always picked last?

Ratface likes this.
  8. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

It does happen occasionally, this kind of giant killing...

Just need to move on from it.

Radical-Cliff and Lucy Fur like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. Dulwich Mishi

Not a sore loser at all....I'd suggest you enjoy the final win or lose, and YOU try to get a life by calling everyone sore losers.
    You won fair and square on the night, that's what the record books will show. But it doesn't alter the fancy you're an average Step Five side, which is where you are and are happy to play, no doubt.
    Sore losers...NO! Where has anyone said that?
    Disappointed to be knocked out by Balham, two levels lower, with the side we put out: WITHOUT A DOUBT!
    Enjoy the final...go and prove me wrong again, for having seen both finalists more than once this season I am plumping for a Cray Valley (Paper Mills) victory.

11. Dulwich Mishi

Insightful, mate, insightful. Now go away and chat with your other two dozen supporters...

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Your team played well and deservedly now progress to the final but you're acting like a bit of a twat here.

clog likes this.
  13. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Completely agree. It's rare that a result really pisses me off, but I'm still absolutely seething today. Given everything that's going on, I think that was an even bigger slap in the face than *that* Tooting performance two seasons ago. Yesterday's performance was a bloody insult to all those (Liam, Mishi, Tom, Shaun et al) that have worked tirelessly off the pitch to keep the club going.

I don't like naming names but Tomlin can't even be arsed to get himself into shape (I know he's been injured, but that's no excuse for slapping the weight on). Why on earth we’ve let Nana and Faal go in order to keep Tomlin and Dumaka is a complete mystery. Neither are match fit yet we only have 8 games left. Beaney, Weatherstone, Chambers and Ferguson want to take a bloody long look at themselves in the mirror, too. They were woefully exposed by a mid-table CoCo side. I know he's only a kid and I'm sure he's very good at youth level, but Guimares is so far out of his depth. Why we insist on playing him in games in which he has no effect is beyond me.

The one thing I noticed last night was the complete lack of urgency or leadership. I always assumed that the noise from the crowd drowned out the communication between the players but I didn’t hear any one of those players try to lift the team or get them to wake up. It was so complacent and arrogant from the first minute until the last. They just didn’t look bothered at all, which, bearing in mind we’re paying their wages at the moment, is an absolute disgrace.

As Mishi says above this was a perfect opportunity to finally get some silverware in, after Billericay seem to have addressed their slump in form. I still can’t believe just how awful last night was – I’m certainly not going to Burgess Hill on Saturday. If they can’t be bothered, then frankly, neither can I.

Final word to Balham who I thought worked their socks off and fully deserved the win. They completely out-fought us and I wish them luck in the final.

pompeydunc, Son of Roy and 3010 like this.
  14. Moroccan Sunset

I bet it's Tamplin.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Were you at the game last night?

16. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

I agree it was dismal. One thing though, although Gavin made the right noises a little while ago about respecting the LSC and League Cup in a post-game interview on DHTV, it seemed pretty clear that neither were really of any interest. So I think that the club's attitude to the game and that of the hard core of supporters who turned up were always poles apart. That's not to say I don't understand the amount of anger about last night. It felt like nothing much more than a glorified training session.

darryl, clog and editor like this.
  17. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

It's not a one-off though. We need to address this, as moving on from it means we have not learnt lessons.

We have lost at the this stage in the LSC and League Cup five times in a row over last three seasons.

This season - Met Police and Balham.
    Last season - Tonbridge Angels in League Cup and Cray Valley PM in LSC
    15/16 - Tooting in LSC

18. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

I suspect Gav isn’t that interested in cups....

darryl likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's almost like they're actually not that interested in how much a cup win would mean for their fans. Last night was pathetic.

pompeydunc, clog and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  20. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

agreed, with exception of FA Trophy run - it does seem Cups are not Gavin's priority

To be honest more concerned about League games (sorry for fans who made the trek last night - seems similar to cup game against Met Police few weeks back)

Hope that curse of manager of month (has now been paid off)

next three League games vital

and yes, winners get to gloat, so fill your boots Balham - your day today

Lucy Fur and clog like this.
  21. Moroccan Sunset

I don't know if this is true or not - there is certainly a school of thought that he isn't - but this ethos is only justifiable if you have tangible success in the league, i.e. winning divisions or winning play offs. Other than in 2013, we haven't done that.

clog likes this.
  22. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

More importantly losing in play off finals. The experience of winning anything no matter how unimportant can only help when the big one comes along.

clog, Poids and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Call me old fashioned, but I kind of think Gav and the team owe the fans a moment of cup final glory given the amazing support they've enjoyed from us. A little bit of fucking effort and we could all have been looking forward to a cup final. FFS.

pompeydunc, clog and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  24. AlanJTerror

AlanJTerror Member

Sounds like sour grapes from some of your supporters.
    Why not accept that on the night you just were not good enough, as we did against Cray Valley.
    Good luck to both teams and I hope they enjoy the final.
    Also all teams have to start somewhere and building up a fan base does not happen overnight.
    Humility is an honourable trait, so why not show some.

25. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

:(

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  26. AlanJTerror

AlanJTerror Member

The young person who posted that is one of the most committed supporters you could wish to meet, both home and away.
    I wish we had more like him.
    He is only twelve and this season has been really hard for him and many tears have been shed so don`t mock him.

27. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Bad times. Poor lad.

hackbridgeharry likes this.
  28. AlanJTerror

AlanJTerror Member

The pain, we as fans have to go through when following our respective teams.
    But we will always remain optimistic for a better future.
    Or in your clubs situation, any future!.
    Good luck against Meadow.

Lucy Fur likes this.
  29. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Its worse when you go home and away every week. Far far worse. Although the ryman south is fun.

30. Clareg

Clareg New Member

The only good bit about last night was talking to Mishi, Philip, Jack and Waggy on the train on the way there.