1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Quirky Animal Statues

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by LukeA, Jan 10, 2017.

1. LukeA

LukeA New Member

First post so please let me know if I’ve done anything incorrectly

I’m a London based photographer and have been taking pictures all over London for a recent project of mine called tubemapper.com. The project showcases my work by nearest tube line or station, and invtes people to explore photography I have captured locally.

During the project I have been discovering interesting infamous local London landmarks like the Tardis at earl’s Court and Platform 9 and ¾ at Kings Cross. Of these my favourites are the Catford Cat and the Elephant and Castle.

Can anyone here think of any other animal based London Landmarks? The only one left I can think of are the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs, but surely there must be more?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was temporarily at Westminster
    [​IMG]

2. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

There are wire lions outside the Tower of London (near the gates) and a wire elephant on the escalators down to the Jubilee line at Waterloo.

Theres also the grave of Giro at the base of the Duke of Yorks column in Picadilly.

3. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Spunky Slug

A bull in King St Hammersmith, Penguin in LSE Aldwych and the animals in war memorial thing in Park Lane spring to mind.

4. ash

ash Inittogether

Dr Johnsons cat outside his house and Dr Salters cat in Bermondsey - there's a lovely story attached to that one:

Dr. Salter's Daydream

Thames Wall, Bermondsey Wall East, London.
    Commissioned by London Docklands
    New version commissioned by Southwark Council and the campaign group.

On the 30th November 2014 the new Dr Salter's Daydream was unveiled, this time a sculpture of his wife Ada was included. In November 2011 the first Dr Salter sculpture was stolen - probably for its scrap value. Local people campaigned and fund raised to replace the work and add the sculpture of Ada. Southwark Council match funded the money raised.

Dr. Salter now sits on a granite bench looking towards his daughter, Joyce, who leans against the embankment wall. Further down a cat sits on the wall, whilst Ada walks with her spade in hand from the planting beds, towards her daughter. The idea was to show Dr. Salter in old age remembering his young daughter when she was still alive. Ada is represented with a spade as she was so instrumental in tree and planting schemes for Bermondsey. Her left hand is designed to hold real flowers. It was important to celebrate the work of this couple who dedicated their lives to helping the local community. Click here to learn more about these remarkable people.

Dr Salter's Daydream was first unveiled in 1991, the sculpture was repatinated and re-located in 2003 from the Cherry Garden Pier to a nearby site by the Angel pub. So the work has had three unveilings! Castle Fine Arts Foundry cast the new sculptures and installed all the work with Damon Bramley - Sculpture Transport and Installation. Sue Wright, Anna Palmer, Dave Morris and Herbert Gorvin posed for the sculptures. Thanks to Robert Lordan for the use of the photograph of Ada and Joyce.

Puddy_Tat likes this.
  5. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Brixton's rooftop "fox and cherries" sculpture

And there's a corner of Hyde Park full of Victorian pets' graves - mostly looks like just gravestones with comically awful sentimental-Gothic inscriptions (Here Lie Spot and Dash - "We're only sleeping, Master" and so on) but you might find the odd good image there...
    Inside Hyde Park's secret pet cemetery

6. charlie mowbray

charlie mowbray The Enforcer

The Egyptian Cats at Mornington Crescent outside the (ex) Carreras Cigarette Factory
    The sea monsters on side of Milestone Hotel, 2 Kensington Court and not far from there the winged lions at the Baglioni Hotel, 60 Hyde Park Gate

SheilaNaGig and Puddy_Tat like this.
  7. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

as art goes I've always really liked the elephant.

8. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Trafalgar Square Lions and the Southbank (Westminster Bridge) Lions. Not exactly in or right near tube stations but...

9. Minnie_the_Minx

and the Animals at War memorial

10. Minnie_the_Minx

Guy the Gorilla

11. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat vote proletaricat democracy

there's the fish statue at erith

eta

[​IMG]

there's another elephant & castle pub (may not no longer be a pub) at vauxhall with an elephant and castle at roof level - certainly visible from the railway if not street level

and on the subject of elephants, some burtons (or former burtons) shops have elephants above ground floor level - more here

lombard street has a golden grasshopper and a few other animal signs - more here

and there are more cats as well as hodge and dr salter's cat. more here

and in the interests of species equality, there's the brown dog of battersea - more here

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    AuntiStella and Pickman's model like this.
  12. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Just round the corner from the CP dinosaurs.

13. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Dolphin and boy/girl statues at the north end of Albert Bridge and just east of Tower Bridge on the north bank.

[​IMG]
    Girl with a Dolphin Fountain
    by Roy Reed, on Flickr

And the heraldic dolphins on the lampposts along the Embankment.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

There's that horse's head standing on the tip of it's muzzle at Marble Arch.

[​IMG]

15. SheilaNaGig

Does this one count?

Elisabeth Frink horse and rider just off Piccadilly.

[​IMG]

16. SheilaNaGig

And the Frink sheep on Paternoster Square...

[​IMG]

17. SheilaNaGig

And all those imperial animals all over the Albert Memorial

18. SheilaNaGig

That horrible mawkish horse statue with the big dicks at Shaftesbury Avenue.

Not quirky, that one though.

19. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Dick Whittington's cat in Archway

SheilaNaGig likes this.
  20. SheilaNaGig

There are snails and rabbits and other critters on the Peter Pan statue at the Long Water in Kensington Gardens.

21. SheilaNaGig

The Sourhwark Lion is certainly quirky. He has such an odd look on his face.

I think I've misunderstood the remit here. Not all of my suggestions are very close to Tube stations.

22. SheilaNaGig

And the kingfisher weathervane on top of the PoW in Brixton too.

23. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Neither is the OP's one of the Catford cat.

SheilaNaGig and ash like this.
  24. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

The gorilla at Sunshine Garden Centre, Bounds Green.

25. LukeA

LukeA New Member

WOW!!!!! :eek:

You guys rock. What an amazing response. I Haven't actually had the time o read through them alll, I will at lunch time. I did notice someone mention the trafalgar lion, I actually do have this!

[​IMG]

SheilaNaGig likes this.
  26. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

27. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

spanglechick likes this.
  28. classicdish

classicdish Well-Known Member

29. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

30. SheilaNaGig

There are loads of little critters all over the outside walls of the Natural History Musem too.

[​IMG]