1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Open House Weekend 16/17 September 2017

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Puddy_Tat, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

London Open House Weekend is coming.

Registration for volunteering is now open - more here

I've done this a few times - usually selecting a smallish museum but there's a variety of heritage / architectural sites open. Means committing to a morning or afternoon somewhere, and as a steward, usually doing the basic meet / greet / front of house stuff / queue management where necessary - to give the regulars a chance to answer the more complicated questions.

you can volunteer as a guide if you're a bit more knowledgeable / prepared to learn about wherever it is.

you get a free copy of the printed guide book thingy, and a priority badge that (i've never tried it) gets you priority admission at venues (not the really high profile ones where they draw names out of a hat or whatever) and (in my experience) get fed tea and biccies.

marty21 and hash tag like this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I have only just remembered this. The on line guides open tomorrow. I still resent Maggot getting a place to visit the post office tower, whereas I have tried and failed many times.
    this year:thumbs:

Maggot likes this.
  3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Website opens today, except not yet... Maggot you have much to answer for

4. Puddy_Tat

Gentle reminder that the ballots for places like the post office tower close on Friday 1 September

5. Puddy_Tat

ETA - the printed guide says Thursday 31 August, so not sure if it's midnight Thursday night / Friday morning or what.

Guess the message is Get On With It

A personal recommendation would be to do the master shipwright's house at Deptford (no pre-booking required) - enormous 18th century pile that's pretty much invisible except from the river.

And tea and cake available to support the project to construct a replica 17th century warship in Deptford's former Royal Dockyard

More here. Cannons might be fired to repel marauding invaders from north of the river :p

(which reminds me, I haven't got my photos from 2 years ago when i went there up online anywhere yet)

hash tag likes this.
  6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

But when do we find out if we have a place?

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Anyone? Have people been notified yet? Have I missed out again?