London Marathon

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Griff_Turnstile, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

This may come as a shock to those that know me but next month I’ll be taking part in the London Marathon, hoping to raise funds for the Cancer Centre at Guy’s Hospital specifically the Translational Oncology and Urology Research (TOUR) Team whose remit covers Bladder Cancer which I was diagnosed with back in November 2017. Despite being the 7th most common form of cancer research into its causes is one of poorest funded. If you would like to sponsor me you can donate here, thanks...
    Read Paul's story

2. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

I'd bet an old fella like you couldn't run 26 miles. Good luck Griff

3. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Great work pal! I'm running too! Just donated you a fiver!

4. Griff_Turnstile

Thanks to everyone who’s donated so far, there’s incredible donations there, really touched. At least I’m carrying a lot less weigh now so aim to complete the course a little faster than my previous effort. Was overtaken by a man carrying a life sized tiger on his back, the race’s oldest runner & a marching band... or maybe I should not buy ex Russian Army surplus energy drinks in future.

5. Griff_Turnstile

It’s not the 26 miles that get you it’s those last 385 yards, just ask Dorando Pietri

Taper, DonkeyAssessor and iamwithnail like this.
  6. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

An appropriate time to give this a bump. Hope the run went well, Griff

7. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

" those last 385 yards"

When London held the games in 1908, there was still no official marathon length. The British Royal family requested that it start at Windsor Castle and end at the Olympic Stadium's royal box.

Congrats Griff - respect to you

8. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Well done Griff, I have checked results. Time doesn't matter. Main thing is you finished it.

9. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

well done griff

10. Griff_Turnstile

Knocked half an hour off my previous time as well as finishing in the top two & a half thousand for my age group!
    Massive thanks to every one who donated, at last count just over a thousand pounds raised which is going towards much needed funding for research & treatment of Bladder Cancer at Guy’s which should help more & more of those with this disease beat the survival odds. Thanks again ❣