London Junior Cup Final| Friday 12th April @ Carshalton| Ft. Ian Daly

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Jules P, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Jules P

Jules P #noprestonnoparty

A couple of colleagues play for a primarily Irish outfit called UCC Diaspora who, helped by their newest recruit, one Ian Daly, have made the final of the London Junior Cup (it's still better than the Turvey)!

Fixtures

It's being played under the lights at Carshalton, 7.45pm KO on Friday 12th April. I'm heading down with GeriatricMascot, Jack and hopefully the ForwardHamlet lads. What better way to start the Hungerford weekender.

2. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

3. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Make it like this

Pink Panther likes this.
  4. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

To be honest I’ve never understood the obsession with him... a silly song & a good goal at Enfield Town. He hardly had a good run with us did he? Don’t get me wrong he’s not the worst player we’ve had down the years by a long chalk, but just another ex- player to me. Interesting enough game to go to though. Albeit both this & the London Junior Cup are as insignificant as each other as we no longer play in either...;)

5. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Genuinely think he's one of the best players of the Gavin era. Ridiculously talented and didn't get the run he deserved, IMO. His (supposed) falling out with Gav probably helped cut his spell short.

the 12th man likes this.
  6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Why is it silly?

7. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Chance to go to The Hope pub AND dig out the old Ian Daly banner. What's not to love?!

Jules P likes this.
  8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20190406-144146_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    editor likes this.
  9. Dulwich Mishi

Because it’s an opinion... I’m not asking anyone to agree. It mentions G Man’s hat, & that makes it silly enough for me.

10. Dulwich Mishi

11. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

Pink Panther likes this.
  12. Jules P

Just been reminded that it's cash only on the door. Think it was £5 last year, incl. free programme!

13. Jules P

14. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

Ian Daly's gravy
    He wore the G-Mans hat,
    And when he saw the Conference South,
    He said I'm Having That!
    Woooooooah

**repeat a few times**

OK, it wasn't my classic Vidal of Dulwich or play off final "And we Follow Gavin Rose" - but hey, it had a certain charm post Margate when Ian did indeed place G-Mans hard hat on his head.

I was absolutely pissed that game. Not sure if its an urban myth that Danny urinated in the very same hat?

Moroccan Sunset and editor like this.
  15. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

The problem with Daly was he was so slow it was almost an art form.
    I'm not saying all footballers need pace, but he seemed to not have any ability to run at the required speed to play football at this level.

Mad skills though.

Pink Panther and editor like this.
  16. Pink Panther

His natural position to me was as a "number 10". But we had Erhun that season.

17. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

Ooooh yes!

18. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Think I’ll go to this for my footy fix this weekend. At a wedding on saturday (congrats Al Crane)

pompeydunc and Scolly like this.
  19. Dulwich Mishi

Did he place the hat on his head before or after Danny had pissed in it?

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

He pissed in it in the coach down so after.

21. Jules P

Happy Ian Daly Day everyone.

I've checked in with the UCC Diaspora lads and there's a healthy nervousness amongst the squad. Rumour has it Ian Daly has got himself a brand new pair of boots for the occasion. Blue... unsure if there's any pink involved!

Few of us grabbing a pre game pint at the hope beforehand. Forward the Diaspora.

pompeydunc and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  22. Cyclodunc

The Hope... WHATAPUB!

takkforalt likes this.
  23. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Completely agree. He was a no. 10 shoehorned into the strikers role. Too slow to lead the line, I'd agree, but you don't have to be super quick to play behind the striker. Always felt he was the natural successor to Erhun.

24. Jules P

25. Pink Panther

Of course we also had Xavier Vidal in the same squad playing as a half back, and he became the anointed successor in the number 10 role the following season, but that didn't really work out as I don't think he had the necessary confidence and authority.

Whether Daly could have made a better fist of it we'll never know. He did have a couple of games there at the end of the season when Erhun got injured without making an impression, but that was during a Spring Slump when we'd started tinkering with the squad so not really a reliable gauge of his suitability for the role.

26. Cyclodunc

Fixed that for you ;)

Jules P likes this.
  27. Pink Panther

I purposely didn't say "annual" as that was the first one (of 3 in a row) so it wasn't annual at the time. We've now had 3 seasons without one, albeit with a New Year's Neurosis last season and a Midwinter Malaise this time.

jnrknight likes this.
  28. Jules P

Useful intel for those attending....

upload_2019-4-12_15-41-6.png

29. Cyclodunc

Hindsight though

30. Dulwich Mishi

Well Ian Daly wasn’t gravy tonight as the London FA twitter feed says his side lost 4-3 after being two up.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019