London house prices before 1980

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Slo-mo, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

What we are seeing now is exceptional of course, but for as long as I can remember London house prices were higher than the rest of the UK.

But my memory only goes back to the mid eighties. What about before that? Has London always been dearer? What about 50 or even 100 years ago?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

fill your boots chuck https://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/materials/papers/13922/number-134.pdf

Slo-mo likes this.
  3. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

My parents in law came back to this country from Australia in the 1960s. They reckoned you could get a house in London for the same price as one in Liverpool at that point.

They chose Liverpool. In fact, not even that. They chose North-East Wales.

Slo-mo likes this.
  4. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

hard to consider London as a unit - some areas would always have outranked the regions, some were pennies to buy because they were in the wild hinterland. Even through to the mid 90s, you could buy for not much in some of zone 2/3

pinkmonkey likes this.
  5. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

London was depopulating for years after WW11 - so i would imagine you could pick up some inner city bargains in the 50s/60s/70s.

porp, not-bono-ever and Slo-mo like this.
  6. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

They were very affordable in 97 when we bought, I feel lucky that we bought then as we wouldn't be able to buy now

Slo-mo likes this.
  7. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

example I looked at for comparison - 2 bed lower g/f flat share of freehold in Lewisham/ New X c. 1996 was less than 25K off the top of my head. not particularly wonderful, but affordable

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Slo-mo likes this.