London hipster foodie/bar buzzword nonsense

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Mar 6, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Let me start you off with, "An Evening Of Meat" - a "powerful conceptual dining experience that explores the all-fours position" presented by "American multi-hyphenate artist-cumentrepreneur, Kate March."

Key quote: "As guests sink their teeth into a six course dinner, they are confronted with performers struggling to reach the vertical position."

The bullshit begins:

Launching at The Vaults in Waterloo on the 27th March 2018, An Evening of Meat is a unique and provocative dinner installation: a feast of femininity where expressive dance and indulgent food meet to thoroughly inundate all the senses.

Having gained a cult following across the world, American director Kate March along with her all-female creative collective, I AM, brings her unique mixture of choreography, performance art and food to London for a limited run this Spring.

Featuring a fine-dining menu and dancers using a table as a stage, An Evening Of Meat is a powerful conceptual dining experience that explores the all-fours position. As guests sink their teeth into a six course dinner, they are confronted with performers struggling to reach the vertical position.

The dancers explore various aspects of the on-all-fours position, such as vulnerability, strength, stability, sensuality, power, domestication, and unbridled wildness.

In this exploration in femininity, the audience and performer build a unique relationship, and as the diner becomes part of the dancer’s struggle, screaming for her to stand up, she in turn destabilises their gaze and becomes more than just a piece of meat on the table.

Following from hugely successful runs in Asia, Europe and Australia, American multi-hyphenate artist-cumentrepreneur, Kate March is going full circle and returning to the city where she first conceived An Evening Of Meat.

Based now between Hong Kong and New York City, Kate completed an MA in choreography in London, and it was here that she began exploration of the all fours position, placing performers on tables and creating a powerful collision of the culinary, performance and fashion worlds.

She began creating conceptual dining experiences in Dalston and reinventing ‘dinner theatre’ which lead to the eventual creation of I AM.

Kate says: “I AM performances have brought me around the world, allowing me to engage with diverse audiences and to experiment with innovative concepts. Returning to London to share my creative evolution with this audience is more meaningful than words can express -- I can't wait to let my body do the talking.”

This show will feature a menu created by Michelin trained Head Chef Chavdar Todorov. Featuring six courses, every dish has been designed to tempt and tantalise the senses. With a complementary wine and cocktail list, the menu will, of course, have a strong focus on meat, while also featuring vegetarian options, as well as fish and seafood courses.

Tickets from £35 - £60.

PippinTook, Voley, Plumdaff and 2 others like this.
  2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Wow :eek: :facepalm: :D

sealion and Fez909 like this.
  3. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

The phrase "only in London" also comes to mind. :D

keybored, sealion and Fez909 like this.
  4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

tbf, £35 for a Michelin-quality meal is pretty good value anywhere, never mind wanky London.

But the rest of it: Wow indeed :eek:

5. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

What the fuck is dinner theatre ?

6. sealion

:D:D:D:D Full house on the bullshit buzzword bingo

7. sealion

Hahahahahahahaha :D:D

keybored likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I suspect those £35 tickets wont be for the full experience.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's come from Sydney, Hong King and Berlin.

10. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

That's not foodie nonsense, that's modern art nonsense that is.
    *nobody mention Karen Finley and the yams*

11. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Apparently it is.

TICKETS
    General Admission: From £35
    Prices include Booking Fee

IMPORTANT NOTE
    Tickets may only be purchased as a couple or mixed groups
    No single ticket purchase available

TICKETS INCLUDE:
    Pre dinner lounge
    6 course fine dining feast
    Installation dance performance
    Dancing after dinner into the midnight hours

I'm sure there's only about 4 available at that price, though :)

12. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Er could you just pass the salt please.

13. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

"Challenging performance art and the middle of the table you're eating dinner on - together at last."

eveningofmeat.JPG

8115, Fez909, editor and 1 other person like this.
  14. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

I remember attending a performance in the early nineties (91/92) where a small limited number audience were seated at tables and served a meal by the performers who had apparently prepared the food earlier. As the meal progressed and we ate, the various actors/performers/waiting staff unveiled different aspects of their lives, jobs, hopes dreams etc. The food was perfectly edible (although all I can remember is carrot and coriander soup which was pretty novel back then) This was in the midlands and I think they took it to Edinburgh.

sealion likes this.
  15. sealion

The people in the backround havn't even noticed her :D

16. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

If you got to eat the 'artists', that could be interesting.

Not so much dinner theatre, but theatre for dinner.

sealion likes this.
  17. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It's 60 quid if you want a table without a fucking artist kneeling on it.

keybored, Maggot, Fez909 and 3 others like this.
  18. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

Is it some sort of social experiment just to see how we respond to its awfulness? Because otherwise we might need to try some sort of killing spree. It would be fair.

sealion likes this.
  19. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I wouldn't go, but I'm glad that people are trying new things (even if they sound silly). All this curmudgeonly "down with this sort of thing" makes you sound like the people who phone in to local radio.

snowy_again and Bonfirelight like this.
  20. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Is this person related in any way with the lot that did some kind of "laugh at the Cockneys"* dinner theatre some while back?

*Might not have been Cockneys. Was some kind of "poke fun at the plebs" thing.

21. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

22. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Mais non, my dear connoiseur, read it again:
    What is 'Michelin trained'? Did he look at a motoring atlas? Did he once work for Kwik Fit? Who knows!

Maggot likes this.
  23. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Chef who worked under a Michelin starred chef.

i.e. - Someone who produced Michelin-quality food.

Should be pretty fucking good, even if he's not the chef with the star.

24. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Winter is coming......

tbf...lots of meat plus people struggling to stand up sounds like a typical Aussie bbq..

25. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

That's what it might mean. But not technically what it says, or any indication of his success at it. Also anyone can be said to have created a menu - does he run the kitchen at the time?

I'm being pedantic, of course, but it does sound too cheap to be true.

Celyn likes this.
  26. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

You're mistaking being scathing of utter wank for not being interested in or encouraging of new things.

keybored and Celyn like this.
  27. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

"Scathing of Utter Wank". :D That really has to be someone's title. Lord Scathing of Utter Wank.

28. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog Well-Known Member

I'm clearing my diary in anticipation of the vegan production

PippinTook likes this.
  29. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

What?.....with dancing people as carrots. :D

Celyn likes this.
  30. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be carrots though, would it? It would have to be very fine and obscure veg in a menu "created by" whatsit chef man.

On second thoughts, is Jasper Carrot still around?

PippinTook likes this.