1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Gentrification

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Belushi, May 30, 2015.

1. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

ddraig, frogwoman, Greebo and 5 others like this.
  2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

wheres the end point here. Call me thick but someones got to sell the hotdogs, clean the bogs, drive the bus etc.

If you've moved all the low paid people out to the back of beyond, then what. Robots or some shit.

Favelado and Greebo like this.
  3. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

You don't need to move them out. They can't afford the rent + commute costs anyway. More overcrowding is where it's at.

And more and more jobs replaced by robots.

Greebo, muscovyduck and Belushi like this.
  4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

People living 12 to a room, which is already happening anyway :(

BigMoaner and Greebo like this.
  5. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It'll just be more like the London of the 19th C. when people would sublet 12 sq. ft. of floorboard to complete strangers, etc.

Greebo likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    panpete and Greebo like this.
  7. Belushi

Some of the quotes from estate agents :facepalm:

Nanker Phelge and frogwoman like this.
  8. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I see what people are saying re just stuff em in like sardines and build ever higher etc. Recipe for to bring back the London Mob. It'll burn again! /doom

9. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

SLUMS is where it's at Tory Slums!

Favelado and Greebo like this.
  10. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I guess the end point is that people who are going to clean toilets etc. for minimum wage or below will have hour-long bus commutes added to their lives - might even be government-subsidized buses because that'd be cheaper and easier than building affordable housing or asking big companies to pay a living wage.

frogwoman likes this.
  11. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Gosh, the natives sound ever so picturesque and quaint. :hmm:

muscovyduck likes this.
  12. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

Belushi reading that last quote makes me wonder if they get done over would they still feel the same way. There's a bit of hoping there too.

frogwoman and Belushi like this.
  13. Belushi

Greebo likes this.
  14. Belushi

15. Belushi

16. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Subterranean dormitories for workers; the non-working poor liquidated and used as fertiliser or pig-feed; The wealthy living in a greater London remodelled into a giant parkland with occasional grand houses staffed by dormitory-dwellers.

17. ViolentPanda

And right-wing shit-suckers such as yourself will be in there, hiring out the square footage to the poor.

18. ViolentPanda

I think you're right, except for "build higher". I think that future-London will be remodelled as a playground for the wealthy, without conspicuous pov housing. They'll try to turn us into Morlocks.

19. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

But basements are essential playgrounds for Eloi wealth creators. They are needed for swimming pools, underground cinemas, and gyms. The days when Morlocks could be coddled in expensive subterranean facilities are long gone. No, the dormitories will have to be out of town.

20. Belushi

21. Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    frogwoman likes this.
  22. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

rent until you die

23. Orang Utan

This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Greebo likes this.
  24. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

A question for all you Londoners - is there going to be a point with all this where you say "I've had enough" and move out? Or can you see a point in the future where you simply won't have a choice?

Or is the lure of London strong enough that you'll find a way to stay whatever the cost/bullshit?

25. Maurice Picarda

It's a question to renters, rather than home owners, presumably?

Greebo likes this.
  26. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Primarily, yeah. But I guess the prospect of selling up and getting away from a rapidly changing London might appeal to some homeowners as well. Sell a 2 bed flat and get a 4 bed house with a garden etc

27. Belushi

If I were 22 again and looking to move to a big city I don't think I'd choose London, it's much tougher for young people to get established than it was when I moved here 20 years ago.

Fortunately I have a nice flat, job I enjoy etc and still enjoy living here - but I hate seeing so many people priced out and so many friends forced out of their neighbourhoods.

28. Maurice Picarda

I've got a 4 bed house with a garden. And rising property prices mean that I'm more likely to keep adding bits to it (posh shed? basement dig-out?) so that my kids have somewhere to live in their twenties, than I am to move out. I wouldn't want to leave London until I was properly retired, and that's thirty years away.

29. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

yuck!

30. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

ask these yuppie cunts if they will be sending their offspring to the local schools!

half of em will laugh in your face!

it's a playground. somewhere to swan around in and feel cool before fucking off for good.