1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*London cafes: your very best recommendations, please!

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

M.Manze and Manze are different places. The Deptford one is not related to the Bermondsey/Peckham/Sutton one.

Well they're related, in that the same family opened them once upon a yonks, but it's not the same management.

tim and Greebo like this.
  2. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

if in askew road, adam's cafe is still there and good till 2pm, then in the evening for your tunisians goodies.

3. teahead

teahead always on the up-ramp R.I.P.

Pretty firmly at the poncified end of things, but the Society Club's definitely got its uses. Their write-up describes it as a cocktail bar, but during the day it's a little haven of peace, random chats, dogs, books, pics and coffee in west Soho.

4. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

great cafe by turnpike lane bus station, can't remember name

5. teahead

See post #9 on this thread?

6. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

yes, could well be the same one, and I defer to Hollis every time on all matters Wood Green-tangential. he did however say it was slap bang next to the tube, whereas this one is a bit further down, by the bus station

7. teahead

I'm not far from Wood Greed but tbh I wouldn't travel there for any kind of pleasure I can think of. Cheap pleasures feel cheaper and less like pleasures in that area, to me. Better off up the road in a Tottenham turkish cafe, or all sorts around Hackney (if you've got two wheels to give you the choice).

8. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

i'm doing this the wrong way round i know but can anyone recommend me a nice cafe for brunch in and around Soho on Saturday.

have pram + baby. want brunch before wandering around Record Store day in Berwick St

already know about the Breakfast Club, even its google images pic has a queue so guessing its very busy :D

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

DrRingDing likes this.
  11. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Don't for god's sake go to the Breakfast Club. Queues round the block and full of teenage tourists.

hash tag likes this.
  12. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry Banned

Malaysia Deli, Crofton Park

Ace

oryx likes this.
  13. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Keep meaning to try that.

14. Dynamo

Dynamo Banned Banned

15. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

there are 2 that get my lunch time business - Temptation Cafe on Murray Street (off Camden Rd) run by Jose (Portuguese) mixture of fry-ups and Portuguese - has a licence as well for long lunches :hmm: and Villa Sandwich Bar on York Way - trad breakfast/lumch cafe - good quality - cheap prices

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Crown Cafe on the Waterloo Bridge north approach, cheaper than the Pret next door and portions are bigger. Plus the staff are good fun.

18. Cami

Cami New Member

whats a good place for sunday brunch?

19. Dougal Dodo

Dougal Dodo Member

20. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

blossie33 likes this.
  21. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Seconded about the Jamyang.

Re the previous posters mention of the Breakfast Club, can someone tell me what's supposed to be so amazing about them that people actually queue to get in? I have passed both the Hoxton one and the one in Camden Passage, Islington and there's always queues.

22. hash tag

whats amazing about breakfast club are queues and price.

blossie33 likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

I went to Manze's in Peckham on Saturday. It was nothing special. Their tea was way better than the meal. :D

[​IMG]

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  25. MellySingsDoom

MellySingsDoom Decimated by the shrapnel of his rhetoric

Though I don't live round them parts these days, I do recommend the Victoria Cafe and Restuarant on Lavender Hill. It's towards the Wandsworth Road end, and they do a cracking full English breakfast with a proper stewed cup of tea. No posh business going on here - this is a good old-fashioned cafe that all the locals in that part of the world frequent.

(Link/photo etc be here: http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1924/124541.php)

Greebo likes this.
  26. hash tag

lavender hill is my neck of the woods and ill try it, thanks. had a very indifferent brekkie in bellvue rd this am :rolleyes:

Greebo and ash like this.
  27. Casaubon

Casaubon Well-Known Member

Just heard that the Wong Kei has shut.
    I know that opinions of the place vary widely, but I've had a soft spot for the place for more than 30 years.
    Where will I get my Singapore noodles now?
    Anyone got any recommendations for quick, cheap Chinese in the West End?

28. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Nooooooooooo! :eek:

Where else is so cheap and has such *ahem* abrupt service?

Edited to add: VP reckons it's possible that Wong Kei might just have moved. They've done it more than once before...

29. hash tag

Maggot likes this.
  30. hash tag

I have just been accepted for the clink! It's not for ages mind!