London as a National Park?!?! Yeah, why not?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by girasol, Jan 27, 2015.

?

Would you like London to become a National Park? (read before voting!!!)

1. Yes please

56.3%
  2. mmm, no - and here's why (post below)

37.5%
  3. pigeons, foxes, squirrels and parrots, cats and dogs too! (obligatory pointless 3rd option)

6.3%
  1. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

What don’t you understand about NPPF Paras 115 and 116, as posted by me earlier?

2. kabbes

Oh my God, that video explains literally nothing. All it talks about is its green and “blue” spaces. If you make London a National Park, it applies to all of London, not just its parks.

muscovyduck likes this.
  3. kabbes

Here we go. Buried on p17 of their full document they recognise that the legislation doesn’t currently exist to allow this to happen. They need to create a new designation because cities aren’t compatible with National Parks.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...er+London+National+Park+City+Proposal+1.2.pdf

Of course, they weasel their problem by hand waving it away and saying that the legislation can be changed in some non-specified way to make this hubris work. But I am strongly against any change in legislation that weakens the protections of ours National Parks, which is what would be needed to make this happen.

Ponyutd and muscovyduck like this.
  4. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

How do they relate to the city park legislation?

5. kabbes

There is no “city park” legislation. There’s no such thing as a “city park” and no details about what the designation would mean. All we have is the National Park designation and the claim that London could be made into a National Park

Ponyutd and muscovyduck like this.
  6. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Cool, so no one is suggesting that a city park would put London in aspic. Glad we sorted that out, a most productive Wednesday on urban.

7. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

girasol likes this.
  8. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

9. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

WTF does it mean? What are the criteria for this self-described thing? Can I be a national park city?

Spymaster and kabbes like this.
  10. kabbes

In particular, how have they solved the problem I raised 7 posts above this one?

11. Do national parks have any stronger protections than AONBs?

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yes

13. Spymaster

Spymaster I'm alright Javid

And the rest of us don't fucking care.

kebabking likes this.
  14. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

theoretically similar, but with an AONB the rules are applied by the local council who a) are democratically accountable, and b) think about the wider picture. NP's have an NP authority which takes all the responsibility for planning decisions away from the respective councils - it ends up being a self-selecting bunch who want to live in a national park and who care about nothing except the view. kabbes point about aspic is very accurate - living in an NP is a bit like living in a Grade I listed building, it sounds great from the outside, but it swiftly reveals itself as a prison.

i've lived in two.

kabbes and Bahnhof Strasse like this.