London areas given New York names in a pathetic effort to sound cool

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

The Old Street roundabout, now referred to as Silicon Island in a pathetic attempt to make a few here-today-gone-tomorrow tech startups feel like they’re Britain’s answer to Cupertino.

It might not be called that for much longer though as it’s about to get a pedestrianisation makeover after which it won’t be an island or roundabout at all.

2. strung out

strung out (",)

They both end with the same syllable, of course they rhyme.

Celyn likes this.
  3. Both their syllables rhyme!

This is just scon/scone again I think.

Edie likes this.
  4. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Not quite sure what you are about here. How about name of Houston might be from Houston in Scotland, which might just possibility have existed before Dublin stations.
    or any train stations.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  5. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

I thought Houston was in Texas? :confused::hmm:

Celyn likes this.
  6. Yep, “Houston, we have a problem”

7. prunus

prunus Gone

The NY one is pronounced “house-ton” just to catch people out I seem to remember.

The Texas one is hoos-ton or whose-ton depending on whether the speaker has a New England or southern accent in my experience.

Yossarian, editor, Edie and 2 others like this.
  8. I don’t know Houston in Scotland, I’m on about the one in the US pronounced Hyoo-ston with the train station pronounced yoo-ston.

9. It’s like saying you and hue don’t rhyme.

10. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

"They both end with the same syllable".

Are you being deliberately a bit daft here?

11. Dr. Furface

It's named after Sam Houston who led the Texas revolution (breaking from Mexico) and was the first president and later governor of the state. I believe he had Scottish ancestry.

And it's pronounced Hyew-ston.

Celyn likes this.
  12. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

It's named after an Irish patriot (the Dublin station). Haven't a clue about the other places.

Celyn likes this.
  13. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

LA = Lower Acton?

Broadway... Ealing?

Man-Hatton Garden?

Sue likes this.
  14. strung out

strung out (",)

"A rhyme is a repetition of similar sounds (or the same sound) in two or more words, most often in the final syllables"

15. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

There's a Fifth Avenue in Kensal Rise.

[​IMG]

But which came first? :hmm:

16. Dr. Furface

NoGo - the area North of Goodge St up to Mornington Crescent as there’s fuck all there anyway and for the next few years it’ll be a HS2 construction zone nightmare

editor, AnnO'Neemus and Celyn like this.
  17. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

The answer prunus gave is that the NYC one is pronounced house-ton, which I never knew. I always thought it was Houston like the Texan one, which does rhyme with Euston. Fuck knows where Scotland and Dublin come into this :D

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  18. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

And it's pronounced Hyew-ston.[/QUOTE]
    Surely only a scwha?

19. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

20. skyscraper101

One thing I've always found strange is the use of American ambulances for the private Heathrow Air Ambulance service.

I will admit they look pretty cool but what possible benefit is there to using imported American Vehicles? I can only presume they are more expensive to ensure, maintain and run. Never mind import. Is it simply a stylistic choice? Strange anyway.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  21. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

When the riots happened they suddenly unleashed a few hundred American style SWAT vans on the London public that no-one had ever seen before. That was weird.

London often looks to New York - from retail to finance to property to - most things. It's the city London wants to be really.

Celyn likes this.
  22. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

I am very sorry that you don't like ordinary facts coming into this. I thought most people would be happy about bits of new facts or general knowledge.

23. skyscraper101

yeah these do look pretty American

[​IMG]

Though, it looks like the Met are getting last season's hand me downs when the US SWAT teams these days look like this...

[​IMG]

24. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

Also, check out the drill act/street gang Harlem Spartans from... Kennington. :(

25. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

First Avenue obvs.

[​IMG]

26. skyscraper101

At last.

27. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

There have been sightings of West Norwood being called WeNo

Celyn likes this.
  28. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Oh ye gods no! :eek:

That is even worse than the 1980s joke about yuppies calling Streatham "St. Reatham". :D

29. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

The new york one is just a street and is named after a different person to the texas one. Also the spelling was origanally different it says here:

Why Is Houston Street Not Pronounced Like the Texas City?

editor likes this.
  30. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Last weekend I heard someone jokingly say St. Ockwell - won't be long before that becomes a thing... :facepalm:

Celyn likes this.