London Anarchist bookfair 2020

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Rutita1, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Rhyddical

Rhyddical May or may not look sexy in Hi Vis.

Fair points, notes taken.

2. TopCat

TopCat It's hard now...do it faster

I read that name and despite the years that have passed, my hackles rise.

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Sound like the LARPing left.

4. TopCat

Well make sure you get a venue with a decent pub nearby and be polite and warn them of hordes of pissed anarchists. More bar staff to take the money and dispense pints saved a lot of agg in the past.

5. Rhyddical

A bit of live action work place organisation and empowering of working class people will be ok with me. You can bring your own elf ears tho.

6. Rhyddical

The venue in mind is near some semi disreputable establishments and you can be sure we're going to put on one hell of an after party so there will be plenty of space to get pissed, make merry and moan about how the kids took over bookfair.

7. TopCat

There is a long standing tradition for many to rock up in a nearby pub and stay there all day, undermining revolutionary activity by drinking and taking drugs. After party is good but no substitute.
    Semi disreputable sounds like my sort of pub.

Pickman's model and Rhyddical like this.
  8. Rhyddical

We'll do our best to prepare the locals and mines a pint of brown.

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

i hope it's better than the fiasco in the wetherspoons that led to the 2005 battle of holloway road

eoin_k and TopCat like this.
  10. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Aaah the halcyon days where we used to end up fighting the police rather than each other.

11. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

This is normally what I do. I look round the stalls, go to a couple of talks then straight for the social. I overdid it too early last time so didn’t make T-Chances but there was a decent after party the year before (?) in some squatted building in Farringdon (?)

Actually I’m talking about the second and third but last time there. The last time ended up in some Spoons in Turnpike Lane but went home early again.

12. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

Does SolFed still exist in London? I like what they’re up to in Brighton.

Nigel and brogdale like this.
  13. Pickman's model

Some spoons in turnpike lane = the tollgate

14. Rhyddical

They have a North London and South London branchs with active FB accounts so presumable still active.

15. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

No posts since 2018 doesn’t strike me as particularly active.

16. Rhyddical

2018 ! oh yeah. My bad. South Londons last was in March? So I guess not particulary active, least not on fB...

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  17. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

"arrogant", "corporate takeover", "pathetic liberals", assorted lifestyle anarchist cliches , "millenial melts" "not real anarchists" ... so much for the principles of mutual aid, solidarity and co-operation...vanguardism alive and well though...seems a thankless task just got a lot more thankless

SpookyFrank and nyxx like this.
  18. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

There wasn’t many “principles of mutual aid, solidarity and cooperation” from those who cunted off the previous organisers, was there?

Nigel and Pickman's model like this.
  19. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

Did I miss something? I'm not sure that's what the thread has been saying...

20. Rhyddical

We informed them and invited them to join us/ support us, be the tidy comrades I'm sure (despite some disagreements on how to handle certasin issues) they are.

No where in the statement do we insult them or make demands. Infact they've done a wonderful job holding it together and keeping it going for so long. It's a shame bookfair stopped in 2018 and we're just bringing it back.

Should we as Anarchists have to ask and receive permission from other Anarchists to do an Anarchist bookfair in a city they used to do an Anarchist bookfair?

There has been zero animosity between the two organisations as far as I'm aware.

I expect when they do share an answer it'll be like "g'luck guys, you'll need it" and a couple of them with more energy will come and pass on their smarts.

Chilango, unfortantly pretty much all of that has been banded about on the thread. It's why I (one of the organisers) made an account ;p

Easy to chat shit through rather than it be some totally anon folks I guess ;p

21. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

Hi again. I wasn’t making accusations against yourself (or any of the new organisers as far as I know).
    This relates back to the letter of disassociation (?) to the then present organisers from quite a significant amount of groups. I’ve no way of ascertaining if you were a signatory or not.
    Hope that clears it up.

TopCat likes this.
  22. Rhyddical

Ah right o.

Yeah we'll be having to try and work through some of that Statement ourselves obviously.

I mean even aside from the Transphobia issue, there were other concerns which we'll no doubt get a chance to fuck up on and piss people off over, but we'll be trying to live up to the issues and not give anyone too much to reason to hate us afterwords. ;p

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  23. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! Live Baby Fabric!

God your SUCH a fuckin victim in all this.

24. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Are you really saying you haven't read any of those things on this thread? None at all?

25. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

It's not been the general response, has it?

26. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

What does 'general' response mean? Those things have been said on this thread so I don't understand why you don't want that acknowledged.

27. Pickman's model

Liberals are pathetic

Nigel and Magnus McGinty like this.
  28. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

Do you even go to the book fair or is this just some academic bust up you want online for the fun of it?

Nigel and Pickman's model like this.
  29. Pickman's model

Let's have a look...

30. Pickman's model

She didn't post on the 2016 thread and 60 posts on the 2017 thread most of them bilious and none of them I could see saying either 'I'm an anarchist' or 'I was there' - so, no to 1 and yes to 2