Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Local Newspaper Headlines!

el-ahrairah

forward communism, forward gerbils!
Was it Bill Bryson who wrote at length about the glorious incomprehensability of local newspaper headlines, quoteing his favourite "Letter Box Rapist Strikes Again"...

Citizen66

splash the cistern
Not a headline as such but a title over a letter in the Whitby Gazette -'tips for catching crabs!'

Would upload a scan but can't do images with my tablet.

MooChild

Made of Straw
Sandwell Chronicle 4th Oct 2012

Hazards of Wheelie Bins.
Accident and emergency staff treated three people for accidents involving wheelie bins in a year, including a 68 year old woman who fell into one. Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs Sandwell, City and Rowley Regis hospitals, said the woman lost her footing and fell into the bin. A 39 year old man went to A&E after a bin ran over his foot, and a 42 year old man was hit by a bin weighing four and a half stones at work, leaving him with chest pain.

bi0boy

Power User
I'm currently enjoying the comments section of my local rag:

"The clowncil is being stupidly one-sided as usual, for the benefit of cyclofascists. Perhaps the reason that the taxi drivers are overranking and blocking the main carriageway is because the cyclists have provoked them into doing this. One-sided journalism and politics AS USUAL."

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
I had to laugh at this, coley will probably have spotted it too :D

Jeff Reid: Northumberland council boss apologises for calling home town Blyth a "dump"

4 Mar 2013 00:00
A council boss last night apologised to 35,000 people in his home town after branding them dump dwellers.

Lib Dem leader of Northumberland council Jeff Reid angered voters in the historic port of Blyth by saying he would never shop there.
The Plessey representative said at a business forum: “I live in Blyth and Blyth is a dump so I drive to Cramlington to shop.”
Furious Blyth Valley Labour MP Ronnie Campbell said: “Jeff Reid has a nerve. He’s having a go at his own town and talking it down. He is hammering people who are striving to make a go of their businesses.”

Cramlington is shit as well. Decent butchers and markets in Blyth though... but it is a fuckign dump, parts of it look like the projects in The Wire.

neonwilderness

What would Badgers do?
Cramlington is shit as well. Decent butchers and markets in Blyth though... but it is a fuckign dump, parts of it look like the projects in The Wire.
A couple of colleagues are from Blyth, I'm looking forward to a bit of office trolling about this when they are in tomorrow :D

It's even worse over the river, Cambois is like something from The Hills Have Eyes :hmm:

coley

I had to laugh at this, coley will probably have spotted it too :D

It is a dump, literally,the CC are trying to dump the GRT community there and many of the people with learning difficulties who are being 'resettled,in the community end up there,as do many with drug and alcohol problems.

coley

A couple of colleagues are from Blyth, I'm looking forward to a bit of office trolling about this when they are in tomorrow :D

It's even worse over the river, Cambois is like something from The Hills Have Eyes :hmm:
SE Northumberland, desolation city, you expect to see Kurt Russell lurking in the doorways