1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Humanist celebrants/officiants - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by ViolentPanda, May 13, 2016.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

As thread title: Has anyone used a local Humanist celebrant for a funeral, and if so, who? More importantly, were they any good?

Thanks.

2. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

She's not local but the Reverend Pam Haynes did my friend's in Leicester and she was brilliant. She really 'got' him.

I know she did a funeral for a friend's dad in Rochdale so it may well be she travels. I would recommend her definitely.

3. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

4. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

The one we used was great. Her name was Hester. I can't remember but I think she was recommended by the funeral director. I honestly can't recall anything else. She did a superb job though.

5. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

My colleague Susan Rae, who's a R4 newsreader, is also a humanist celebrant. She lives in Crystal Palace. I can put you in touch if you like.

Greebo likes this.
  6. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I think she did, am I right Mrs Miggins ?

This celebrant was very good in our experience. Also South London based.

Greebo likes this.
  7. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

That's her! I'm glad, and relieved, that you also thought she was so good.

Mrs Miggins and Greebo like this.
  8. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

This is just the sort of reason why I like this place.

editor and Greebo like this.
  9. choochi

choochi Well-Known Member

I saw a sign in a window in Herne Hill the other day www.markhayfordhumanist.com

10. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

You don't need a celebrant.

When my friend Mark died, we did his funeral ourselves.

Greebo likes this.
  11. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?

Good for you, and it's useful to know that it is both possible and allowed to do that yourself, if you feel up to it. :)

In this case, the person dealing with it (not me, and not VP), specifically wants a celebrant. So that, come the day, after handling with all the red tape, and sorting out and shifting various bits, and the logistics of relatives coming from quite a long way away, they won't have one more thing to deal with.

12. Greebo

Thank you - recommendations were being asked for; if it was only the address which was needed, the humanist website would have sufficed.

13. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

Drop me a pm if you want Hester ' details. I'm sure I can dig out her email address at least xx

14. Greebo

Thanks, she shows up on the find a celebrant bit of the humanist site - the main thing was/is finding somebody with a sense of humour and within travelling distance. If Hester was good enough for you, then that'll do. :)

15. Natashahumanist

Natashahumanist New Member

Dear all,
    Understand that this is out of date but just for future reference, if you are looking for a non-religious humanist funeral celebrant, to fulfil someone's wishes to have a humanist or non religious funeral ceremony, then you can be assured of that all our celebrants are humanists, trained and accredited. Find a Funeral Celebrant. Just for reference, a Reverend is a Christian minister. Thanks

Gramsci likes this.