1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liverpool Echo Arena car park fire

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Dogsauce, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

It doesn't stop them ramping up the premium though, you still have 9 years NCB, but renewal cost is up by 30%.

2. Sasaferrato

The amount of heat needed to do that to concrete is stupendous. With 1400 cars though potentially 14000+ gallons of fuel.

3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

What does this mean? :confused:

4. Sasaferrato

The ITV News said that was where the foreign horses were taken. I was indicating you called it right. :)

5. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I wonder if anyone will claim their car was there when it wasn't? Might be a bit hard to identify which car is which, and not even safe to investigate given the state of the building. How many were stolen on false plates, or untaxed/uninsured etc.?

6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

So it means that some horses did indeed end up in Aintree?Okay, understood now.

It wasn't me that posted that btw, it was TheHoodedClaw .

7. Bound to be some dodgy motors out of 1400. Imagine if you had a load of drugs stashed in yer boot, claiming for that would be a bit...

8. chandlerp

chandlerp Well-Known Member

Just got into work to find out we've lost our management suite at the arena. Apparently it had been relocated to the lower level of the car park some months ago and I hadn't seen the memo. We do the IT for the arena. All the equipment is naturally destroyed and a couple of staff have lost cars.

9. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

How and why would you falsely report your car destroyed?

10. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Off the top of me head. Your 05reg Beemer X5 needs £3k worth of repairs so basically scrap metal & worth £100 from the scrappies. Insurance might give you a couple of grand. I recall yrs ago somebody pushing their broke down car off Beachy Head to get the insurance back but just claiming the car burnt out reduced to ash with nothing to show it was ever a car is easier I suppose? :thumbs:

11. Sasaferrato

OK :D

12. Sasaferrato

Shit, not good news.

Poi E likes this.
  13. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Mere trifles in the world of insurance investigations.

14. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

It was you wasn't it? :hmm:

I remember another student in the block I lived in wanted to do an insurance job on his car. His plan was to drive it into a lamppost and claim it had been stolen, but he wanted me to drive the bloody thing and jump out at the last minute. I can't drive so that would have been tricky.

I can't remember the outcome now.

SaskiaJayne likes this.
  15. mauvais

Just set fire to the thing yourself at home and save the trouble of having to go to Liverpool.

FWIW, the burnt out cars probably still have legible VINs, and there will have been ANPR in the car park, probably connected to the internet rather than held locally.

16. Dogsauce

Looking at the pictures I doubt they'll be making too much effort to have a close look at the cars, I suspect the building will be demolished with some in-situ as not safe to go near them. Not much chance of being found out if someone claimed theirs was in there. Do it for the cash, then put your car on false plates or break it up and sell it for spares. Opportunity is there, wait until the insurers find themselves dealing with 2,500 claims then they might start asking questions...

17. mauvais

I think this is unlikely in the extreme. A low gain, a high risk of being caught, and a load of work, both physical and administrative.

18. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Very glad to hear that all the horses (&dogs) and people are safe - that was a serious fire.

Going to be a busy few days for insurance companies and brokers ... and premium car dealers.

I suspect that the rules for fire protection of multi-story car parks and high-rise buildings (residential & otherwise) are going to get a serious shake-up !
    (also zoo animal enclosures)

William of Walworth likes this.
  19. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

To back up part of what mauvais said, if there's ANPR at this car-park (quite likely) and footage can be retrieved (also quite likely), then claiming for a "destroyed" car that wasn't there could turn out fairly easily disprovable ...

I speculate I admit, but that kind of claim isn't necessarily as piss-easy as some may think.

A380, mauvais and kebabking like this.
  20. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

not only is it difficult to do and difficult to get away with, its unlikely to be worth the hassle and risk of getting caught - insurance fraud carries heavy penalties, not least of which is that a great many employers would be very unhappy about employing someone at an senior or sensitive level with a conviction for it.

there are of course idiots in every walk of life, but jeopardising a £50k - £150kpa job/career over a £10k disco would seem to me to really scrape the fuckwit barrel...

mauvais and William of Walworth like this.
  21. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

I did read an article yesterday where someone said their family had lost their car plus the two iPads, two ipad minis, four sets of beats headphones, rayban sunglasses and some Christmas money. All left in the car you see. What rotten luck

A380 and likesfish like this.
  22. mauvais

I saw that. Presumably your implication is fraud? Well, they drove from Anglesey with children, so it's not exactly surprising, is it? Plus why claim they had £80 in cash in there, instead of, say, £800 or more?

23. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

Well I'm not saying definitely fraud but it did make me laugh how she made sure to list everything for the papers. Also if you're taking kids to a boring horse show don't they take the iPads in with them? And maybe they do all have beats headphones. Why not? It just sounded like bollocks, doesnt mean it is of course

24. mauvais

It's probably irrelevant anyway. My car was stolen last year and my contents cover (fully comp) was limited to £100. They wanted proof of ownership too.

25. Dogsauce

That level of thinking things through just isn't there for your average chancer, I've known a few in my time. People involved in insurance fraud will be looking for short-term gains, not thinking about future employment. There's even been people claiming to have been involved in Grenfell that weren't there, Ffs. Look at the scale of the 'cash for crash' fraud that was commonplace a few years ago - I bet the majority involved never got caught. It's not worth the insurance company's while to follow up and investigate every claim in detail.

It's the north mate. Those jobs aren't there.

26. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

Contents cover on motor policies tend to be very low, if, however, you have 'all risks' extension on your household policy, all that stuff is likely to be covered.

27. mauvais

Sadly not at the time.

28. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

:eek:

Don't you shop around?

My policy with NCB protection was down about £20 this year, the other newer policy increased from 2 to 3 years NCB & dropped about £50. Mind you, I have a decent broker that always finds good deals, you can get better prices online, but with reduced cover or larger excesses, not worth it IMO. Plus, if I ever need to claim, he's handy to have on my side, it's a bit of a rottweiler when it comes to helping clients with their claims. :thumbs:

29. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

It was an old landrover that started it suprise suprise.

A380 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  30. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

I remember years ago (1996) my father wanted to sell his car (1989 BMW) and get the maximum cash for it. A school friend suggested he 'steal' the car and get the insurance for my father. We never went through with the idea in the end, as it was a Stupid idea in the first place.