1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liverpool Echo Arena car park fire

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Dogsauce, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

A story that sounded like a minor event earlier, now transpires that they think every vehicle in the 1600 capacity car park has now been destroyed in the fire and it's in danger of collapse:

Liverpool Echo Arena car park fire destroys 1,400 vehicles
    Car park fire destroys 1,400 vehicles

Quite a few people not going to have a very good start to 2018, including the insurance industry. Horsey people tend to have quite expensive cars too.

2. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw "Ride me sideways" was another one

Hopefully the horse-boxes weren't in the car park, because otherwise someone's frantically ringing round seeing if someone can put a 100 horses up for a few days. "Hello, Aintree, hi, yes I know it's New Year, but I wonder..."

Rosemary Jest, MrSki and Miss-Shelf like this.
  3. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Who would have thought that a fire could spread so quickly through a multi storey. You would have thought they would have had a sprinkler system.

Smoking kills likes this.
  4. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

So glad the poor horses are safe, however rich their owners :(

5. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Me too - and hope they weren't frightened by the fire. The cars and building can be replaced.

6. Smoking kills

Smoking kills Well-Known Member

At a Scouse barby?

likesfish and Terry Manners like this.
  7. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Chubby brown/Bernard manning lives on :facepalm:

Bahnhof Strasse, Celyn and harpo like this.
  8. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Range Rover will have a prosperous new year. :D

9. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

If the fire started in one car, does it all go on their insurance? Ouch.

Seems unbelievable that it couldn't be brought under control and spread between floors. Can't imagine the stink from 7,000 burning tyres in a city centre, grim.

10. SaskiaJayne

Each car owner will claim on their own insurance presumably without loss of no claims because it wernt their fault. I think then for car insurers to recover their losses they would have to prove who was actually liable for starting the fire which might be difficult. Liability has to be proved. For example if your house catches fire & sets your neighbour’s house on fire they cannot claim off you or your insurer if they cannot prove it was your fault your house caught fire.

11. chandlerp

chandlerp Well-Known Member

I could smell it last night here in Aintree

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  12. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Its a NO CLAIMS BONUS! Not a No fault no Claims bonus.

Slo-mo likes this.
  13. SaskiaJayne

I thought if the claim was not your fault you did not lose n/c bonus? I think thats correct with a traffic accident but maybe in this case if liability for fire cannot be proved then car owners will lose their n/c bonus unless they have paid the extra for n/c protection?

14. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

No. It's not about fault but about whether the loss is successfully recovered from another party. If your car is stolen, say, it's not your fault but you lose NCB. It may be protected as part of the policy.

It's unlikely in this case that the loss will be recovered from anyone.

Terry Manners and Slo-mo like this.
  15. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Yes it's a no claims bonus, not a no blame bonus.

You make a claim, you lose your no claims discount.

Terry Manners likes this.
  16. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

That does depend on the policy, for example my policy guarantees that I don't lose my no claims bonus if an accident is caused by an uninsured driver, even if they are unable recover their pay-out from the driver them self.

In respect of 'fire & theft' claims, the summary just says 'you may lose your NCB', which implies a level of discretion depending on circumstances/fault.

Mind you, I've got my NCB protected anyway.

Slo-mo likes this.
  17. mauvais

Uninsured drivers are a bit different because this potentially brings in the MIB, sadly not the alien-fighting organisation but one put in place to pay out to innocent parties in the case where no insurance policy is in effect. So effectively you may be provided with this benefit anyway, and your insurer just makes the process smoother for you.

Slo-mo likes this.
  18. mauvais

Not if it's recovered, as above.

Slo-mo likes this.
  19. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Yes, sorry. Just making the point about not being directly related to blame.

mauvais likes this.
  20. cupid_stunt

It's a long time since I've worked in insurance, so things may have changed, but the arrangement was that the Motor Insurers' Bureau wouldn't reimburse insurance companies for pay-outs for vehicle damage under comprehensive policies.

I also remember the policies issued by the company I worked for excluded fire & theft claims from the NCB side of things, but, admittedly this was the early 80s, and the company concerned was considered the 'Rolls Royce' of the industry*, which was reflected in their higher premiums!

* In the claims department we were always told to be fair to the insured first, then to the company.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  21. mauvais

Actually I think the MIB policy may still be as you describe, so maybe your policy does have a supplementary benefit.

This stuff gets complicated because if the offending car is insured by someone but the person driving it isn't, then potentially its insurer still has to pay out.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  22. cupid_stunt

Just on the BBC news, some cars on the roof floor were largely undamaged, and dogs within them have been reunited with their owners. :eek: / :)

RIP any doggies that were in cars on lower floors. :(

23. cupid_stunt

SaskiaJayne likes this.
  24. chandlerp

Stupid bastard shouldn't have left dogs locked in the car in the first place...they should be rehomed.

ddraig, tonysingh, Celyn and 3 others like this.
  25. cupid_stunt

What?

There's nothing wrong with leaving dogs in a car for a short time.

seeformiles likes this.
  26. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I just had the same argument with Mrs SFM - they only expected to be away for an hour or so so no malicious intent. I wonder how many dogs were in the cars that were destroyed :(

27. chandlerp

This picture from inside shows the floor has gone, the car park will have to be demolished for certain

[​IMG]

28. chandlerp

I retract my comment about the dogs as I thought she had brought them with her to attend the show and left them for hours.

29. twentythreedom

twentythreedom don't wanna get me vex, don't step on my creps

Apparently all dogs were saved. Not sure how they can be certain, but let's hope they're right

30. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

That is where the foreign horses went. :D