Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liverpool '08

soulman

is no more...
The fuckers carved up the city centre. Knocked down places and areas with some real claim to be cultural centres, and gave us the shittiest shopping area around, and a whole lot of apartments that will remain unlived in. So who visited Liverpool as a result of the capital of culture thing this year?

Bernie Gunther

Fundamentalist Druid
Duke of Westminster?

I'm sort of imagining him dealing out these Millwall/Apocalypse Now style cards.

'Your city has been had over by the Duke of Westminster, I'm very slightly richer, thanks to the EU and you are fucked ... hahahahahaha ... proles.'

soulman

is no more...
Well yes that twat and his like now owns swathes of the city centre, that's a lot of 'collateral' for further loans. But I do wonder what good it will do them when no one can afford to pay £1200 for a fucking handbag, and all those empty apartments start to rot because there's no one living in them.

Fledgling

And the porpoise?
Well there's always someone who can afford expensive items, depends really on whether they wish to shop in the city centre. If things did go downhill though I doubt His Grace would be too bothered, would probably be holed up in sunnier climes. I sometimes wonder if all these city centre flats are going to end up as our generation's tower blocks or soulless shopping centres. For a while I went round thinking about how luxurious they all are, then realised that actually many are a) overpriced and b) actually quite pokey and c) dependent on a lot of potentially expensive energy. If you bemoan Liverpool come over to Manc, you can't move for these trendy new flats. Some of the older buildings look pretty good as conversions but the new flats are not all they're cracked up to be.

Nah, haven't been over for culture capital thingy; I'd rather spend my cultural fund here instead of on a train fare, there's plenty to immerse yourself in nationwide.

bluestreak

HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica
I visited Liverpool briefly last year, and only saw the shitty bits. They were shittier than anywhere in London, so shitty that I found myself wondering how any town with that amount of grim poverty could possibly get all smug and self-satisfied about being a city of culture. I have no doubt that there is plenty to love about Liverpool if you know where to look, but the bits you visit as you move towards Bootle are fucking Victorian.

soulman

is no more...
There are some lovely parts of Liverpool when you know where to look, but a big part of the city centre has been flattened and rebuilt as some kind of monument to consumption. It's a truly horrible place to walk around. All the nice little shops, pubs and cafe's have gone.

rosa

anger is an energy
There are some lovely parts of Liverpool when you know where to look, but a big part of the city centre has been flattened and rebuilt as some kind of monument to consumption. It's a truly horrible place to walk around. All the nice little shops, pubs and cafe's have gone.
It's not all horrible,there's still plenty of decent, mostly independent places around Bold Street area.

What really worries me about the Liverpool 1 development is that a huge chunk of the city centre's been privatised and nothing's really been said about it. The whole area's no longer a public highway so technically you don't have any right to be there, you're only allowed in at the owner's discretion.And even by its own terms i can't see how it's so great;it's supposedly bringing loads of new shops into Liverpool but what's actually happened is that the shops that were already here have moved into Liverpool 1, leaving loads of derelict buildings along the existing shopping area along Church Street. And i miss Quiggins. :(

soulman

is no more...
It's not all horrible,there's still plenty of decent, mostly independent places around Bold Street area.

What really worries me about the Liverpool 1 development is that a huge chunk of the city centre's been privatised and nothing's really been said about it. The whole area's no longer a public highway so technically you don't have any right to be there, you're only allowed in at the owner's discretion.And even by its own terms i can't see how it's so great;it's supposedly bringing loads of new shops into Liverpool but what's actually happened is that the shops that were already here have moved into Liverpool 1, leaving loads of derelict buildings along the existing shopping area along Church Street. And i miss Quiggins. :(
If you look closely there's really not you know. There's one decent independent bookshop (news from nowhere) and a couple of places off Bold Street.

L1 is a horrible place, full of private security, and I didn't feel comfortable there.

I miss Quiggins too :(

I just hope the twats who made the money live to rue their decisions.

sojourner

Where's me readers?
If you look closely there's really not you know. There's one decent independent bookshop (news from nowhere) and a couple of places off Bold Street.

L1 is a horrible place, full of private security, and I didn't feel comfortable there.

Me too

Totally agree with you. I'm fucking angry and gutted with what's been done to the place.

Did have a little chuckle to myself the other week though. Just came out of Lime Street, down by the bus station, and some bloke came up to me with a confused look on his face, asking 'where's liverpool 1?'. 'You're in it mate' I replied...hehehe

soulman

is no more...
Exactly and I wonder how much someone got paid to come up with a stupid name like 'Liverpool One'

Thinking on what rosa said there are still some decent little places.

rosa

anger is an energy
had a bit of a wander through town last night and the contrast between Liverpool 1 and the rest of the city centre was really striking. Loads of street performers along Bold Street/Church Street/Williamson Square, including 3 angels on stilts playing Acceptable In The 80s on the tuba (no really,there was, i wasn't that drunk),really nice atmosphere. Then as soon as you turned along Paradise Street, no music,no soul,you could feel Debenhams sucking the Christmas spirit right out of you.Horrible place.And if they're gonna spend all that money 'regenerating' the area, they could have fixed the drains, it fucking stinks.

soulman

is no more...
I don't bother going in to town much any more but it does seem like they've designed that Liverpool one to draw you in to the place. I was looking for a decent bookshop and noticed that the bluecoat bookshop has gone, and even whsmiths has gone now, replaced by what feels like a fucking newsagents in that hell hole...

I wondered where Quiggins had gone. :( Which part have they 'flattened' :confused: y'know compared to Leeds the city centre had changed very little.

It's still got tonnes going for it, and, yes, we visited it this summer.

stereotypical

hospitality king
Yep I proper miss Quiggins too and what the hell is that shitty little walkthrough they have put there in its place with the Ted Baker shop and loads of other shops that Ive never heard of and look like they only sell expensive stuff.

L1 is crap, I work there and its so unbelievably bland. A good portion of the people who you see there are tourists who are checking out the 'capital of culture'. Pret a Manger, Starbucks and loads of shitty ovepriced chain restaurants for christs sake we're civilised here but not that civilised, still love a but of rough and tumble dont we :D

Loads of dead expensive shops and new flats whilst no ones got any money, great, good fucking idea.

The only people who seem to think its good is tourists or non-scousers who live here (e.g. I work with a fair few people from London at they all go on about how great it is :confused: ).

The Beehive is still there and the Bluecoat bookshop has moved further down the road (its the first shop in the Gostings arcade) towards the new bus station

soulman

is no more...
Yep I proper miss Quiggins too and what the hell is that shitty little walkthrough they have put there in its place with the Ted Baker shop and loads of other shops that Ive never heard of and look like they only sell expensive stuff.

L1 is crap, I work there and its so unbelievably bland. A good portion of the people who you see there are tourists who are checking out the 'capital of culture'. Pret a Manger, Starbucks and loads of shitty ovepriced chain restaurants for christs sake we're civilised here but not that civilised, still love a but of rough and tumble dont we :D

Loads of dead expensive shops and new flats whilst no ones got any money, great, good fucking idea.

The only people who seem to think its good is tourists or non-scousers who live here (e.g. I work with a fair few people from London at they all go on about how great it is :confused: ).

The Beehive is still there and the Bluecoat bookshop has moved further down the road (its the first shop in the Gostings arcade) towards the new bus station
The Beehive still there? I couldn't see it, maybe it was behind boards or something. I'll have another look for it next time I'm in town, which isn't going to be any time soon.

Santino

lovelier than lovely
I visited Liverpool for the first time ever this year to see the giant spider. I also enjoyed Go Superlambanana! So I will return next time there is some kind of giant animal event on.

soulman

is no more...
Don't encourage them rosa. They'll probably rent an apartment in the city centre and try to start some kind of foodie business.

rosa

anger is an energy
Don't encourage them rosa. They'll probably rent an apartment in the city centre and try to start some kind of foodie business.
They should start some kind of foodie business at the safari park. i used to work at the cafe there. Never ate the food there once in 2 years. Take a packed lunch, that's all i'm saying.

soulman

is no more...
I went there a couple of times when I was a kid. It was like our day out...

Never try to smuggle a monkey out of there.

In Bloom

Joyless and full of hate
The whole capital of culture thing is bollocks, but I don't get why people get so misty eyed over Quiggins. Shit, overpriced "alternative" shopping centre run by a BNP supporter.

harpo

Listening to Radio Jackie
I never knew that about Quiggins:(. But yes I liked the place well enough at the time, tho I was just moving out of Liverpool when it was reaching its hayday. In all fairness the city centre was a proper windswept, derelict shite hole in that period, with bomb sites still left rotting after the war and up London road all boarded up or burned out. When I was a young scouse chick we had Probe (when Pete Burnes was still handsome and male), the Swan, Wilsons, Erics, 69a, Blacklers, Skelhorn St bus station and we knew no different. Looking back it was like living behind the iron curtain. So I think their heart is in the right place with what they are trying to do in Liverpool but yeah, L1 is as bland and disappointing as fuck. They could have been really brave and what is it? Low rent chain stores and more of the same mass consumer outlets. To match the other 'developments' in recent years..Metro centre, Cavern Walks, that big glass one by central station (can't remember name now).. all just more layers of the same predictable shite. The rot set in when George Henry Lee became John Lewis if you ask me.

But the arts in Liverpool are fucking magnificent for a provincial city, and getting better.

soulman

is no more...
I remember all those places you mention. Skelhorn St bus station was a right fucking seedy shithole, I hated that place. The artistic and creative side is about the only thing that makes visiting town worthwhile.

harpo

Listening to Radio Jackie
I remember all those places you mention. Skelhorn St bus station was a right fucking seedy shithole, I hated that place. The artistic and creative side is about the only thing that makes visiting town worthwhile.

Yeah that's true..but there's a lot on the artistic/creative side. I recently spent an entire day in the Maritime museum. I can't believe it's the first time I ever went there; it's probably one of the most comprehensive and entertaining museums I've ever been to. Free, and all.

I went to that News bar a year or so ago. All very stylish..until a girl came past, was sick, then just carried on walking.

BTW..do you by any chance also remember radio Jackie North?

soulman

is no more...
Yeah that's true..but there's a lot on the artistic/creative side. I recently spent an entire day in the Maritime museum. I can't believe it's the first time I ever went there; it's probably one of the most comprehensive and entertaining museums I've ever been to. Free, and all.

I went to that News bar a year or so ago. All very stylish..until a girl came past, was sick, then just carried on walking.

BTW..do you by any chance also remember radio Jackie North?
No I've never heard of it.

Santino

lovelier than lovely
When I was there I got the distinct impression that there was some kind of link between the city and the popular music group 'The Beatles'. Is this true?