Live8

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by YouSir, Jul 2, 2005.

1. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

some sharp insights from the IOS

'Live8 appeared to be heading for exactly such a defining moment yesterday when Coldplay's singer Chris Martin finished his set by introducing " the most important film you'll see today", adding: "If the BBC switches it off then it isn't doing its job properly." The film would show why the concert was happening. It would remind viewers that a child dies from hunger and preventable diseases every three second.

The BBC, clearly, was thrown into panic. It started showing the film, then switched it off. Jonathan Ross, in a lemon and lime suit, promised we would be seeing it. Instead the political editor of the BBC, Andrew Marr, who had been "rocking out" with his shirt out of his trousers, waffled about how "we used to have movements now we have moments". Then the director cut to a children's television presenter encouraging members of the crowd to say woah, yeah, they were having a great time, wooh!

When Coldplay appeared for post-performance interview, their lead singer was unusually lost for words but managed, "Who were all those people in the front?" "Special people," said the interviewer, the DJ Jo Wiley.

Wiley meant "the golden circle", where a £1,000 each had bought 5,000 corporate clients champagne and canapés and the best view. The fans who had camped out, travelled far and run across the field when the gates opened had found themselves about a quarter of a mile away from the stage. Even before the music started some had to be lifted out with exhaustion.

''I came here at midnight and slept on bubblewrap,'' said Emma Pentith, 19, a student from Manchester at the front of the barrier. "They let us in at noon and we sprinted all the way to the front. We were shattered but it was worth it.''

Meanwhile the VIPs visited Portaloos or snoozed on their picnic rugs in front of them occasionally dipping a hand into a hamper. Some missed large parts of the concert as they sat drinking at the bar behind the stage where a bottle of Dom Perignon cost £99, a large Pimm's, £6.50.'

Victoria Gould, 19, a student from Cardiff, said: "It's a class system. They are the first class and we are the standard class. It feels like they are mocking us. I arrived at nine last night. It's completely hypocritical, we are trying to save people from poverty and they are here having bought the privilege. If we had wanted to watch it on TV we would have stayed at home.''

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article296471.ece

2. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

I did wonder what they clearly segregated bit at the front was...

3. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Geldof says they needed the VIP area to fund the event, but i doubt it, i think this sort of demarcation is hardwired into the sort of people who organise these massive events.

4. HarrisonSlade

HarrisonSlade say NO to the vaccine

It's not supposed to be funny. The point I am making is the connections between rallys and hypnotic slogon on both sides. I do believe that PJ O Rourke mad a similar comment about it once.

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Probably in a far more pithy and useful way.

6. corporate whore

corporate whore oh, thought you were dead

Did ya get past the booze police?

7. alfajobrob

alfajobrob Well-Known Member

Golden Circle

was actually in the VIP bit for the concert & I felt sorry for those behind us packed in like sardines without any alcohol (wouldn't have gone in that situation), but fuck it wasn't going to miss the opportunity to see Floyd et al.

btw not all of the "Golden Circle" tickets were for corps or celebs, some were for competion winners & others for people who have worked on the MPH campaign etc.

anyway fuckin great day. :D

8. duvel

duvel Well-Known Member

fantastic show, although it didn't have that 'vibe' that Live Aid did.

liked:

U2 (i'm a fan so.....)
    Richard Ashcroft (if only the Verve were still together)
    Annie Lennox
    Stereophonics
    Travis (although, in Australia we only got to see one song. Um, how many did they play?)
    The Who (may be ageing, but they still rock)
    Pink Floyd (absolute highlight for me to see Roger back on stage with them...musically superb, didn't 'crap on about themselves' and nearly brought me to tears, 'nuff said) :cool:
    Stevie Wonder (legend)

although, it must be said....nobody will capture a world wide audience like Mr. Freddie Mercury did 20 years ago at Wembley. We'll be talking about that one for another 100 years.

9. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I haven't read about this anywhere else. Is it really true??? </sceptical>

The Tory/Daily Mail phrase 'nanny state' doesn't half get my back up ....

10. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

But PJ O'Rourke's an obnoxious right wing bighead, prone to drawing absurd, wildly exaggerated pseudo-analogies -- rather like you've lamely attempted in this instance.

11. J77

J77 residing

It sounded a bit rubbish but then again I wasn't there - the atmosphere was probably good for those there but having to listen to U2 and Coldplay in the same afternoon :eek: and that fella from the Libertines seems like a right twazzock too...

Radio1 was in sleb heaven too - the sleb suckers like Mills and Cox were loving the amount of twazzocks around them... that was until I found the commercial radio coverage...

Still it wasn't gonna be something that I liked anyway so I could have preposted this appraisal.

And what happened to Sail8 - that was my moment of the freak show :D

12. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I watched some of it at a barbie in the afternoon and it looked like the most boring gig ever, we switched over for the tennis in the end as even the dad-rock fans were begining to slip into a tedium induced coma.

Caught Pink Floyd when I got home and they were excellent.

13. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

And what was with the apartheid style separate concert for African artists in Cornwall? :confused: