List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2019

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by colacubes, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

It does indeed deserve those nominations and more. It’s a shame that it didn’t get a nomination for best picture imo.

2. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Fighting with my Family. Everything you would expect from a Stephen Merchant film with Nick Frost in it - but actually better I thought it would be. Based on a true story, it's a very sweet, somewhat formulaic feel-good film but I really enjoyed it. I had felt it was rather cliched but by the end it became apparent that some of those cliches were indeed word for word true! Don't want to say more because it will give too much away. One to go and see when you need cheering up or just a good laugh.

Maltin likes this.
  3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

onesheet.jpg
    Surprisingly good animated feature about Spiderman and his multiple personas in a multiverse. Very funny, warm and visually exciting and inventive - it looks like nothing I've ever seen and it has an inclusive and positive message for the kids. 4 Spider-Pigs out of 5

krtek a houby and May Kasahara like this.
  4. Orang Utan

HO00004964.jpg
    My enjoyment of this was tainted by what I read about the disquiet the family of Dr Shirley expressed about how this story was told and their lack of involvement in the film's gestation, as well as the past behaviours of both the director and one of the writers. Rather than punching precisely the right buttons, it just mashes the keyboard with its fist. It does have some very funny moments and a couple of moving ones but it's yet another one of those Oscar-baiting Hollywood movies that exist to make white liberals feel good about themselves.

RubyToogood likes this.
  5. gaijingirl

oh yes - I forgot this one. We went to see it on my birthday with the kids. NOT my choice and I was most unenthusiastic at the start! However, we all loved it and the kids have since asked to go and see it again. I agree with what you say about it being "visually exciting and inventive" - it was very clever.

Orang Utan likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

watership-down-film.jpg
    Watership Down
    Shown at The Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds as part of LGBT History month, to celebrate the work of score composer Angela Morley, a Leeds-born trans woman.
    I hadn't seen this since I was a kid, but this is NOT a kid's film, as it's like Apocalypse Now for bunnies. It's so odd - part pagan fable, part critique of man's treatment of the natural world with some amazing animation, (which, surprisingly doesn't look as dated as you'd think) and some great voice acting from British theatrical luvvies.
    "They'll never rest until they've spoiled the earth" - quite a prescient message in this film. :(
    5 scary rabbit gods out of 5

krtek a houby and Callie like this.
  7. Orang Utan

Also scheduled today to watch at the beloved Hyde Park was Bergman: A Year In Pictures, Burning and a repeat viewing of If Beale Street Could Talk, but a new niece came along, so had to leave after the first film. But what genius programming is that? I fucking love that cinema. And it only cost £5.50 a film.

8. Orang Utan

Reno likes this.
  9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Instant Family
    I'm in love with Rose Byrne so pretty much watch anything she's in. Mark Walberg also stars in this true story/comedy about a couple that foster 3 kids. It's a pretty standard affair for what to expect from this type of scenario, but of course it's a nice feel good film, that's worth a single watch, maybe not at the cinema unless of course you love Rose or Mark.
    6/10

10. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

What should I go and see tomorrow?
    Stan & Ollie or Beautiful Boy or The Favourite - all on at the same time locally.

11. Orang Utan

Not Beautiful Boy.
    Stan & Ollie if you want to be cheered up and have your cockles warmed.
    The Favourite is loads of fun though it's not for everyone

Throbbing Angel and Sue like this.
  12. gaijingirl

The Ponds - lovely, heartwarming documentary about Hampstead Ponds. The audience was almost entirely lido and open water swimmers.

Go if you want to be persuaded to go swimming outdoors and just want to share in the glow of happiness that open water swimming gives one.

13. Orang Utan

220px-Katharinablum.jpg
    The Lost Honour Of Katharina Blum
    The first in a series of Margarethe Von Trotte films that have been remastered and represented with introductions by Von Trotte.
    I knew nothing about the film or the director going in, so was grateful for the rather stilted introduction. It's about a young housekeeper for a liberal bourgeouis couple who goes to a party and meets a charismatic man who we know has been followed and filmed by the authorities. She spends the night with him and when she wakes up, he is gone but her flat is raided by armed cops and she's taken in for questioning. Here ensues a tale of persecution and calumny by the press colluding with the authorities. It's very of its time (why do even the new buildings in the 70s look grim and dilapidated?) and on the nose, but it's very relevant now considering the media's behaviour these days and because of the continuing relevance of terrorism. I also enjoyed spotting the actors who've done other things. The lead, Angela Winkler, is one of the witches in the recent Suspiria remake, the terrorist is Jurgen Prochnow from Das Boot and Dune, and the oily creep tabloid journalist who wrecks Blum's life is played by Dieter Laser, who's the mad scientist in The Human Centiped (you wouldn't have thought it, but he was quite pretty when he was young)

redsquirrel and Sue like this.
  14. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

The Passenger. For some reason, I'd never seen this all the way through before. Great film and very of its time -- it's also easy to forget just how many excellent films Jack Nicholson's been in.

The City Without Jews. An Austrian 1924 silent that was thought lost until recently -- a heavily edited version without the ending was found in the 90s in Amsterdam (likely the version that was last shown there in 1933) and a French version was then found in a Parisian flea market in 2015 and they managed to piece the film together from these sources. (The woman in charge of the restoration did an intro explaining all this -- find this kind of stuff fascinating.)

Anyway, the film's based on a 1922 novel. In Vienna (re-titled Utopia in the film), the people are hungry due to hyper-inflation and speculators taking advantage of the collapsing economy. They start to blame the Jews and the anti-Semitic chancellor -- who's also in hawk to a rich, American anti-Semite -- expels all Jewish people, including children of 'mixed' marriages. It has unexpected and negative consequences on society and the happy ending -- different from the novel apparently -- is that the Jews are re-admitted to the city and harmony is restored.

Very interesting in a historical sense -- if the politics are kind of simplistic -- for its depiction of Jewish life between the wars and of course prescience. The author of the original book was killed by a Nazi shortly after the film came out (presumably the party was still banned at that point) and the actor playing the main Jewish character later joined the Nazi Party and performed at Auschwitz. Was a one-off screening I think but worth catching if you get the chance (and like silent films).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  15. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

Got to be honest I thought this film was boring, predictable and some of the scenes were just absurd (the father's mate punching out his holy-roller wife in front of the other family when they were over for tea, just felt completely unconvincing to me).

Same director as the (to me) brilliant Moonlight, but I think he came over with a bad attack of over-reverence for a Great Author here. Couldn't get the point of this film at all and damn it was slow and long.

Sue likes this.
  16. Orang Utan

I watched it again tonight. Can't see why people think it's slow. It's full of incident abd everything is so rich in detail. I never rewatch films, yet felt compelled to see this again

17. Orang Utan

maxresdefault.jpg
    Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    A concert film made by Lance Bangs of the band playing a Don't Look Back gig of their album Daydream Nation. It was an exhilarating nostalgia fest of perhaps limited appeal, but the audience loved it and it was an emotional experience to watch it in a venue (Hyde Park) that I have similar warm nostalgic fuzzy feelings about. It was also preceded by some shitty old footage of them performing songs from it when it came out in 1988, but the real bonus was a 35 minute portion of a film by Charles Atlas called Put Blood In The Music, about the New York No Wave Noise scene. It mostly talking heads (not Talking Heads) of NY scenesters on a green screen filled out by New York street scenes, with lots of wacky 90s video effects that grate occasionally, but with some great footage of a young Sonic Youth goofing around hilariously while the like of Glenn Branca and John Cale get all deep and serious. Bangs and Shelley were there to introduce the films and talk about the album and they were charming and illuminating with many anecdotes . It was great to see some teenagers there getting into it, not just a bunch of 40 something blokes.

18. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Watched the original Alien (it's out this weekend for it's 40th anniversary) last night at the cinema on a massive screen at cineworld. Screen was practically full. It was great seeing it on such a huge screen and with something you’ve seen countless times you do spot a few things, mostly scenery that you hadn’t seen before.

I think it’s on until Tuesday/Wednesday at most cinema chains. Even if you’ve seen it countless times. It’s worth it.

19. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Going to see this tonight at Leeds Vue :thumbs: Can’t wait :cool:

20. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Really wanted to see this. But I finish late on Tuesdays. :(

21. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

The Lego Movie 2. Entertaining, with more great earworm pop songs.

22. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Sauvage. Follows a young male prostitute as he hustles to survive. Not much happens but the lead actor is excellent. Good but bleak.

23. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

Black 47...A western revenge played out against the backdrop of the Irish Famine. Not too much of a history lesson, good characters and story, I really enjoyed it.

24. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Meet John Doe. Barbara Stanwyck as a journalist who fakes a letter from 'John Doe' bemoaning society's ills, causes a sensation and then has to produce the 'real' John Doe (a homeless Gary Cooper). The John Doe 'be a better neighbour' movement sweeps the nation but the newspaper owner plans to use it to boost his own political ambitions. Another Frank Capra tale of the little/ordinary man up against corruption/power. Stanwyck and Cooper are great, as are the supporting cast. Enjoyed it but it's very, very sentimental.

RubyToogood likes this.
  25. gaijingirl

oh yes - we went to see this during half term. I fell asleep in the middle (just 'cos I was knackered, not 'cos it was bad or anything).

Kids loved it, gaijinboy loved it the most.

May Kasahara likes this.
  26. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse

Saw this in 3D IMAX which was spectacular. Am still processing the film, which retains the comic book vibe but also feels like a quantum leap forward.

27. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Yes - although I can’t agree that not much happens. I thought rather a lot happened to him. Whatevs, it’s an astonishing film.

28. gaijingirl

I went to see Capernaum this afternoon. Really an incredible film but a very harrowing watch. I cried several times. It's a documentary style film and the main character - a 12 year old boy - is just really incredible.

It also provides a lot of food for thought. I also enjoyed the portrayal of Beirut and the many people who live there. The only downside was that at points I felt a bit queasy from all the wobbly handheld camera action.

Orang Utan likes this.
  29. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Ah, good call, one for me to avoid then with my chronic motion sickness.

I was fine with the Favourite which was nice and static, but had to close my eyes a lot for the other two films I've seen on the big screen this year: Three Identical Strangers which was quite static subject matter so they jazzed it up by constantly moving the camera, and Green Book which to be fair is a road movie.

Fortunately I don't like action movies anyway but I foresee myself going to a lot of sedate interpersonal dramas.

gaijingirl likes this.
  30. gaijingirl

I did think of you actually whilst I was watching it... it's not something that normally would affect me but it was noticeable with this film.

RubyToogood likes this.