List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2019

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by colacubes, Jan 1, 2019.

1. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Well someone has to start it :cool:

1. The Favourite. Weird, wonderful and some absolutely extraordinary performances from the female leads. If Olivia Coleman doesn’t get an Oscar nod I’ll be amazed. Any film that uses the word “cuntstruck” in the dialogue is obvs going to be great, but the stylistic cinematography, and the funny but deeply touching performances were just fabulous :cool:

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

220px-His_Girl_Friday_poster.jpg
    HIs Girl Friday
    Fast talking screwball comedy about a newspaper editor plotting to keep his chief reporter (and ex) from leaving by getting her involved in a story involving a wrongly convicted man facing the death penalty and the dark forces of establishment and media corruption. Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell shine as the reporters who are as corrupt and opportunistic as the government officials and politicians they're supposed to be exposing. The rest of the cast are equally good, especially John Qualen as the accused. There's so much rapid dialogue that it's hard to keep up with, so all the better for seeing at the cinema. 5 ruthless shitheels out of 5

3. S☼I

S☼I there must be something wrong, boys

Beaten to it by 2 mins.

colacubes and Orang Utan like this.
  4. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Amazing costumes too. Rachel Weiz's outdoor outfits....oh my!

Guineveretoo, A380 and colacubes like this.
  5. Orang Utan

Sorry, I'm starting the new year as I mean to go on - immersed in films!

S☼I likes this.
  6. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

You've been to the cinema already??

Good effort :thumbs:

Thimble Queen and colacubes like this.
  7. Mrs Miggins

Sounds like you've got an amazing cinema nearby. I'm very jealous.

8. colacubes

Proper bank holiday activity :cool: Went on my own and treated myself to a glass of wine and a small salted popcorn #livingthedream

marty21, wtfftw, romeo2001 and 2 others like this.
  9. Orang Utan

I have - though it beats me why I've been living here for two years and hadn't visited it until last October. I'm making up for it now though!

Thimble Queen and Mrs Miggins like this.
  10. colacubes

Innit. I really loved how there was a sense of gender play in some of her outfits which worked well with the overall theme :cool:

Guineveretoo likes this.
  11. Mrs Miggins

I'd love somewhere nearby that showed the current more interesting films and old classics. Yes, I could go to the NFT and the ICA more but it would be great to have it within walking distance or a short bus ride from my home. And everything seems to be on at like 9pm these days and that's just too late for me now I'm a miserable old fart.

12. Orang Utan

(has anyone seen both His Girl Friday and The Hudsucker Proxy? The former must have been a huge influence on the latter)

13. Orang Utan

Only £5.50 in too.
    It's also the only remaining gas-lit cinema in the country!

moonsi til likes this.
  14. Mrs Miggins

Maybe I should move to Leeds :D

5t3IIa and Orang Utan like this.
  15. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Jennifer Jason Lee‘s performance is definitely modelled on Rosalind Russell‘s.

Sue and Orang Utan like this.
  16. Orang Utan

Everyone should move to Leeds

5t3IIa and Mrs Miggins like this.
  17. Mrs Miggins

Indeed. And also with the men's costumes which were more elaborate than the women's. Those wigs!

I loved eveything about that film. I may be going to see it again at some point this week.

A380 and colacubes like this.
  18. colacubes

I’d be tempted to watch it again tbh. It was so rich that I suspect I’ve missed some details.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  19. colacubes

20. colacubes

21. Orang Utan

colacubes likes this.
  22. colacubes

It’s fine :D Just being needlessly outraged for the lols :cool:

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  23. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I’ll merge them. I’m not moving to Leeds though.

marty21, paul mckenna, 5t3IIa and 7 others like this.
  24. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

I went to see Spiderverse at 10.30am this morning on my own. I enjoyed it & laughed often. Likely to see The Favourite next.

I go to Cineworld as I have a unlimited card.

A380 likes this.
  25. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

An Ordinary Man. Ben Kingsley (with Yorkshire accent) plays a war criminal in hiding in the former Yugoslavia. Kingsley overdoes it a bit, nothing really happens and it's very hard to care about the main characters so pretty meh all round.

Wouldn't normally have gone to see this -- and didn't when it came out some in the UK some time ago -- but it's just opened where I am now and there are very few English language films on so...(My Spanish isn't good enough yet for Spanish language films).

passenger likes this.
  26. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Just saw the New Mary Poppins movie. It really does mesh well with the original, complete with one actor's bad attempt at an accent. Dick Van Dyke, in his 90s, can still dance the toes off anyone around. (He wasn't the one with the bad accent this time).

A380 likes this.
  27. Orang Utan

Dick Van Dyke was the best thing in it by far.

Maltin likes this.
  28. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

With my unlimited card - Mary Poppins returns- I thought is caught some of the spirit of the original and I liked it. Pity Julie Andrews didn't take the cameo that was obvious written for her that Angela Lansbury did. (A bit like the Albert Finney /Sean Connery role in Skyfall.)

The Favourite - Agree with everything written so far, great to have a film where the three leads are women. It's beautifully shot too.

Guineveretoo and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  29. Orang Utan

The Favourite
    Giddily surreal but hilarious period comedy from Greek weirdwave director Yorgos Lanthimos. Brilliant performances from the three leads and some cracking dialogue - 'let's shoot something!' Lots has been said about Coleman, Weisz and Stone's characters, but the male characters in this a great source of comedy - popinjays in ridiculous wigs and more makeup than the female characters. Loved the soundtrack too, apart from the Elton John song at the end.
    One of the best acting credits too: Nude Pomegranate Tory and Wanking Man, almost beating my all time favourite, Threads' Woman Who Urinates On Self
    4 rabbits out of 5

A380 and Nanker Phelge like this.
  30. Orang Utan

images.jpeg
    Three Identical Strangers
    Fascinating documentary about identical triplets who discovered each other as adults, having been separated at birth. The initial story is unbelievable in itself, but when you find out why they were separated, in the skilfully constructed narrative, it's flabbergasting and enraging, but also thought-provoking on the perpetual nature/nurture debate. 4 amoral psychologists out of 5

blossie33, Nanker Phelge and 5t3IIa like this.