List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2018

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by metalguru, Jan 2, 2018.

1. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

(1) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    (2) A Cat in Paris
    (3) Lean on Pete

Based on the Willy Vlautin book , loser America/coming of age /road trip /western . I loved it , Mrs21 thought it was depressing :D

Badgers likes this.
  2. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I feel pretty

A nihilistic destruction of entertainment. This film ruthlessly strips away humour., narrative, acting and meaningful dialogue from the movie until all the viewer is left with is the spectacle of capital pissing on their dreams and selling it back to them. The denouement of the closing "empowerment" monologue actually being a sales pitch deftly encapsulates capital's ability to commodity and recuperate reform, leaving the viewer no choices left.

That said, I had eaten about half a kilo of chocolate mice from the pick n mix...so it could be it was just a really shit film.

3. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

Herediatry

A case of a hype being bigger than the movie. Good points first...collett is fucking outstanding in it. I mean REALLY outstanding. Her performance of a mother struggling with things going on outside of her control are surely worthy of an oscar. Her grief after the losss (plot spoiler) is all too real and you feel the pain. Her characters efforts to hold the family together or so brilliantly composed-I was completely sucked in by her effort.

The film has some real memorable sequences that will forever be seared onto my brain in the same way Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch did for days, weeks and years after. Byrne also excels as a supporting role.

But ultimately the film is directionless. It struggled with where it was going and the direction it was going in. There were long protracted sequences that seemed to fizzle out quickly. And whilst it started out incredibly promising with an early plot twist that literally came from leftfield and really shocked me-the film started to veer between psychological horror mixed with good old slasher flick. It started out promising-and just got more and more typecast with the usual tedious tropes-and settled back into your run of the mill horror flick

Purely on performance alone and some of the unsettling imagery I'd give it a 7. Thats being generous. It had little scary moments. Wasted opportunities after building up the audience and ultimately fell back on the usual run of the mill storylines you find it most horror films.

porp, U-R and Orang Utan like this.
  4. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

The scariest thing about it was how much the girl reminded me of Piers Morgan.

5. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I also saw Hereditary. I loved everything about it, apart from the direction it went it, which completely spoiled it for me. The score and use of small noises is incredible, but the way it was resolved was a real let down. There were even sniggers from the audience at one ludicrous scene towards the end - maybe that's why there's been so many comparisons of this film with The Exorcist.

Grandma Death and U-R like this.
  6. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Re Hereditary, if they'd sorted the plot out and made it a bit scarier (in the sense of the psych horror and really building the tension) it would have been a genuine classic. Saying 'sort the plot and make it scarier' sound like major criticisms, they are I suppose, but there was a lot there that was really good. Looked like it almost needed someone else to come in and re-edit the thing - a good first draft situation.

7. Orang Utan

There's one real moment of horror which made me react physically. Felt like it took a few minutes just to breathe after seeing it.

8. Wilf

I must be a really insensitive sod, I've seen a similar claim in a review but didn't notice anything watching the film. What was it (if you can say it in a non-spoilery way)?

9. Orang Utan

When the 'little girl' is killed

10. Wilf

Ah, yes, cheers! Must admit, I was more affected by the reactions to that from the rest of the family than the 'event' itself.

keybored likes this.
  11. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

It might have been more effective if I didn't see it comming a mile off. Urmm so to speak.

Overall I thought it started well but in the end just felt like a better version of paranormal activity, without the found footage aspect.

Wilf likes this.
  12. Grandma Death

yeah this. I was completely and utterly gobsmacked. And the silence and the way it was handled seemed to be in complete sync with my utter shock and gasps of horror. It almost felt like the shock was being carried for several minutes after that scene-such a shame the film didnt live up to that scene

13. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Hereditary
    Just seen it and thought it was the biggest pile of poo I've seen in a long time. The wee lass was awesome - shame she wasn't around longer. Toni Collette overacted her pants off and Gabriel Byrne was - well Gabriel Byrne. There was the one shocking moment but after that it descended into a muddle of ridiculous toss.

Glad I didn't pay full price to see it. When are we going to get a new really thumping scary film?

14. Dragnet

Dragnet Well-Known Member

Hereditary

I have to agree with what Grandma Death said up-thread; started off well, but not long after the
    decapitation
    it started to run out of steam fairly quickly, reaching in to the bog-standard horror bag-of-tricks.

I actually didn't mind the final scene,
    the 'crowning' in the treehouse
    one that I've seen a few reviews elsewhere criticise, but they had to tack on a load of exposition that really wasn't needed in the last 30 seconds. Waste.

15. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Leave No Trace. Really good, better than I thought it would be.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  16. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

Jurassic World 2, with my 9yo. He's the perfect company for such a big, dumb action flick - we thoroughly enjoyed it :D

17. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Duck Duck Goose.

I'd make some daft claim that it was about the tension between individualism and collectivism in modern China, bit I suspect it really is....

18. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

I loved this. A heart-wrenching tale of love, solidarity and growth.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  19. porp

porp Well-Known Member

I saw this too - I very rarely get out to see a film, so I expect it be perfect. At least half the pleasure is in moaning abut the ticket price (£11.50?)

I was genuinely unsettled and scared for some parts of the film, particularly early on. But the reversion to the 'horror bag of tricks', as Dragnet puts it, really revealed that this story had no where to go. I even noticed it while it was happening - far too many scenes of folk slowly approaching doors with creepy music. Then close up on horrified face. Gabriel Byrne was dialling in his performance. Also another outing for 'US teen party where no one seems to be enjoying themselves' but that's by the way.

Am I wrong for thinking that the 'crowning' was fairly wholesome and life affirming?

20. Grandma Death

Calibre | Netflix Official Site

Watched this week on Netflix. Really enjoyed this. It took some usual themes already played out in various other films. And it nearly veered into a rehash of some of those movies. But the performances were great-the mood and atmosphere was quite unsettling too. Supporting performances were great and I felt uncomfortably paranoid in some of the scenes. Worth a watch

21. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

Mission Impossible 6:

Quite slick and watchable, but found it about half an hour too long. Paris looks fantastic in it, but sadly London looks a bit drab.
    It's certainly entertaining, but instantly forgettable and not really worth the rave reviews it been getting.

Incredibles 2:

Liked this a lot. Really inventive animation style and entertaining. Not a great deal to say about it overall - but it looks great.

22. Wilf

Saw MI6 tonight. Can't stand Cruise but we've got one of those ugc monthly passes and there was nothing else on. Yes, slick and good visuals as you say, but I just lost interest in the motivations of the various baddies. Simon Pegg is good, but Cruise really should give up on those roles, he's looking old.

23. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

I'm glad it's not just me who hasn't been to the flicks in ages :)

Saw Blackkklansman last night, which was bloody good. Surprised at just how soft Spike was on the cops, there's only one really bad dude amongst them. It's lightness of touch (yes, really) counterbalances the ferocity of the actual story (that the Klan really are murderous bastards, not just cartoonish figures of fun). The modern day allusions are all very obvious, but no less necessary for that. And includes the most unexpected instance of Emerson, Lake & Palmer I've come across!

Cloo likes this.
  24. Wilf

I enjoyed as well and picked up many of the same points, particularly how soft he is on the cops (and the Lucky Man things was certainly... unexpected). The modern day allusions were there throughout as you say, but because the dominant tone of the film was comedy, even farce, the contemporary footage at the end sort of hits you like a sledgehammer.

In retrospect it's odd how soft he is on the cops. Before you are hit with the contemporary footage, the message is almost 'one good man can make a difference'. Maybe of course building that up and then knocking it down with images showing nothing has changed is the message.

25. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

I also throughly enjoyed the film and it was very powerful at times, but I agree that it's softness on the police was a downside. Boots Riley (directer of upcoming Sorry to Bother You) wrote an interesting 3 page critique of it on twitter in which he pointed out, amongst other things, that the protagonist Ron Stallward played a much bigger roll in infiltrating black radical groups than the movie let on.

Wilf likes this.
  26. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Cold war, Polish film about a tortuous relationship after ww2. Very good, and sad.

27. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

King of Thieves: watched this on Sunday mildly hungover after a lovely family wedding. It was the perfect film for that day. I laughed a lot.

Crazy Rich Asians: truly awful film, I read somewhere it was funny. It really isn’t. I haven’t cringed so much in ages.

American Animal: saw this evening, fab quirky film with good soundtrack too.

28. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

Yes I saw Crazy Rich Asians on Sunday after reading a 4 star review from Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian. Unbelievably bad, cliched, stereotyped, offensive and unfunny film

29. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

The Nun

Gothic, retro horror film set in a convent, a former castle built by a Duke who was into the occult, in Romania. Well produced and a lot better than most critic reviews would have you believe

Reno likes this.
  30. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Waiting for Nae Pasaran at the World transformed festival. Not been this excited to see a fillum since Digby the biggest dog in the world.:D
    20180923_191803.jpg