List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2018

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by metalguru, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Lady Bird - shite. switched off in 20 mins.

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

So you a) didn't watch the film and b) didn't watch it at the cinema :facepalm:

Virtual Blue likes this.
  3. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

wrong thread! :(

4. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

I, Tonya

It is a magnificently entertaining two hours. Margot Robbie is superb as Harding, as is Alison Janney as her mum. The two main fellas are utterly ridiculous, but so they should be. It plays with the line between 'what really happened?' and 'we know you did it' very nicely, just a few lines here and there to undermine (but not totally destroy) the denial. It's impossible not to feel massive sympathy for Harding, struggling to overcome a shitty lie and rigged system. Even though,she almost definitely did know what was going on, really.

5. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Went to the Banff Mountain Film Festival tour last night.

Personal highlights:

Into Twin Galaxies

Stumped

belboid likes this.
  6. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

The Shape of Water.

Think everyone else already nailed it. Strong start that just turns into a starman remake.

6/10

Kaka Tim and Wilf like this.
  7. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

A Fantastic Woman - 9/10

Really loved this Chilean film about a transgender woman coping with the aftermath of the death of her older lover. The lead performance is incredible, but the film is actually very trance-like with a subtle hallucinatory soundtrack and camerawork.

Ultimately an uplifting film, and best one of the year for me so far.

8. Wilf

Wilf Aghast.

Saw it tonight, really enjoyed it. I normally hate films that breach the 4th wall, but it really worked in I, Tonya. As you say, great performance by Robbie. Thought they might have included a bit more of Kerrigan, but still loved it.

T & P likes this.
  9. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Black Panther. Looks marvellous, great cast but a bit flabby in parts and BP is all a bit straight and noble. 3/5.

10. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

Game Night

Top cast, great chemistry between Jason Bateman and Rachael McAdams. Jesse Plemons who plays the creepy cop and their next neighbour is great. Funny, clever and lots of twists.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  11. belboid

Black Panther

Just bloody brilliant. Best Marvel film yet, great script, great performances, looked fantastic, well paced, and even had decent politics! All it lacked was a bit of Sun Ra.

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Black panther *****

13. Pickman's model

It had bast

belboid likes this.
  14. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

I, Tonya

Highly competent performances by Margot Robbie and Allison Janney. But I can't say overall I really enjoyed this film as there aren't enough breaks from the depressing, nastiness of the main characters. However; Paul Walter Hauser is a scene stealer: he plays Tonya's bungling, delusional bodyguard and brings some much needed comedic relief.

Wilf likes this.
  15. Wilf

Wilf Aghast.

Yep, even though you know he's a chronic bullshitter and saddo - and is being portrayed as exactly that - he's still very amusing.

16. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

The Shape of Water

Excellent. The story is a pastiche of other stuff but the design, direction, acting, world building, dialogue and basically everything else about the movie is pretty perfect. Visually it reminded me of Delicatessen which can only be a good thing. The shifts in tone and mood are well handled and it works as a piece of entertainment as well as a piece of drama or visual art.

Still not as good as Pan's Labyrinth though, and I doubt I'll watch it as many times as I've watched Hellboy 2 but those are two very high bars.

Mab likes this.
  17. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

T'Challa himself is arguably the least interesting person in the movie but sometimes that's the job of the protagonist, to be a fixed point around which everything else revolves. Wakanda itself is the real star.

krtek a houby likes this.
  18. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

I think GDT got his masterpiece in relatively early with Pan's Labyrinth, but Shape of Water is a worthy Oscar winner for him. Gawd, I really wish he'd been able to do The Hobbit.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  19. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

Black Panther

Very disappointed: main character dull. The villain played by Andy Serkis was probably the most interesting. Anyway, generally boring I had trouble trying to stay awake. Also confusing choreography and overlong. One the worst Marvel films I've seen.

20. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Hahah it's surely the best - you can actually tell what's going on and why people are doing the things they do and the villain is actually complicated with nuanced motives. And he's played by Wallace off of The Wire.

21. belboid

Blates.

The highest grossing film ever in West and East Africa.

Orang Utan likes this.
  22. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Well-Known Member

Just been to see Lady Bird and ended up loving it. I was not sure at all for the first half of the film then it just started to tug at me. Tug at my own memories and feelings about that part if my own life. I got quite emotional towards the end. So yeah....I liked it very much.

23. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

Lady Bird

I also wasn't sure for the first third to half of the film; but it creeps up on you and turns out to be a heart warming film. Saoirse Ronan as usual is excellent.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  24. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

The Shape of Water

Style over substance indeed: fine cinematography with impeccable attention to era detail. Unfortunately let down by a sub standard plot. Michael Shannon and Michael Stuhlbarg were the stand out actors, although the rest of the main cast were good. But taken as a whole, I just don't understand how this won the Oscar for best picture over Three Billboards or Get Out

25. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Well-Known Member

Me either. Three Billboards is a much better film IMO. And Lady Bird. I liked Get Out but I don't think it's the best film of the year.
    But then the Oscars are a load of old nonsense anyway.

26. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

Red Sparrow

Dark and gritty spy thriller. Jennifer Lawrence does a great job as the Russian Ballerina who has a career change and becomes a spy but not before undergoing a sadistic training regime. Good supporting cast as well. Be prepared for scenes of torture and sexual violence. This is a 15 cert; but if I hadn't known I would have thought I was watching an 18 cert. Can be slow burn at times; but it's never boring. Somewhat complicated story line always keeps you guessing, and it's got a good ending.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  27. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

Gringo

Despite the messy plot it's entertaining

28. Pickman's model

Taxi driver. Good film

29. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Went to cinema to see Shape of Water for the second time and it had lost none of its charm for me. It's a lovely fairy tale, that looks fantastic, has some really good performances, great score. That relationship between Eliza and Amphibian Man is made believable, and the world is made believable, and that is great fantasy film making.

I did spot a lot of plot holes second time around though....but they were all trivial points...although my main issue was if the Neighbour guy was narrating the story to us, how did he know about Eliza's 'private time' in the bath?????

This happens a lot with films that are narrated.

30. Kesher

Kesher 마지막처럼

Finding Your Feet

Let down somewhat by it's predictable storyline, though saved by it's first-rate cast.