List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2018

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by metalguru, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

Black Panther.

Strong performances and great afrofuturist design.
    More serious than a lot of the MCU.
    Plot is decent. Some interesting points raised if not explored that deeply.

And it has rinos.

Thimble Queen and Mation like this.
  2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Fifty Shades Freed.

Awful, just awful. 15 minutes of plot, the rest may have been a weeks worth of episodes of Neighbours. Also for a couple that get married at the start, there seems to be a lot of questions they discuss that you'd normally have had BEFORE you get married. Utter toss.

3/10 and that's being kind.

The39thStep likes this.
  3. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Why did you even bother??

emanymton, gosub, Sue and 2 others like this.
  4. cybershot

Sometimes you take one for the team, rather than being a stuck in the mud.

rubbershoes and Mrs Miggins like this.
  5. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Just seen the Shape of Water. Enjoyed it, visually pretty good, but not quite as good as the critics have it...
    10% anti-racism, 40% nice love story and 50% rather predictable 'spooks have an exotic creature that treat appallingly' tale. Sally Hawkins was great. Real rival to McDormand for the Oscar (for anybody who gives a shit about Oscars), it was just that the whole thing lacked intensity, was a bit predictable and maybe a bit cluttered.

Kaka Tim and Maltin like this.
  6. Mrs Miggins

God forgive me I went to see The Greatest Showman last night. Exactly what you'd expect. No more no less. Hugh Jackman's face must have been killing him after all that smiling.

7. gosub

gosub ~#

who are you trying to convince? us or you

8. cybershot

I couldn’t give a toss what anyone thinks to be honest. I replied with what film I’ve seen at the cinema. I guess no ones seen a bad film at the cinema before with someone who really wanted to go to see said film.

9. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Loved, loved, loved Black Panther. Thought it might be too long at 2.14 mins but I was entertained throughout. Stellar performances all round and so much fun to watch.

krtek a houby and Thimble Queen like this.
  10. ginger_syn

ginger_syn (my) Insanity laughs under pressure

I did once, it was awful and they went to sleep twenty minutes into the film.

11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

That's why I always go to the cinema on my own.

Mab, Mrs Miggins and emanymton like this.
  12. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Went to this last night and was also very impressed. Not quite sure about 'staggering' but it is immensely powerful and beautifully made. But it is just so motherfucking bleak, everything about it is so depressing, without a hint of hope. And, sadly, that is most likely an all too true portrait of Russia today.

13. komodo

komodo Well-Known Member

‘Three Billboards outside Ebbing Misouri’, brilliant- and did not realise until I read yesterday that Frances McDormand is married to Joel Cohen. Also it’s got Lester from the Wire in it doing a Mr Tibbs from Heat of the Night.

14. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

The shape of water and Black Panther back to back last night x

15. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

You sure that's the only reason?

16. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Aye, I try and avoid going with others. Not a worthwhile pursuit.

17. gosub

gosub ~#

Liked it too. Wouldn't have seen it on the back of it being called sci fi / fantasy. But it was the only intelligent choice on offer on £4 night. It's not, Its a beauty and the beast that felt French ... Hard to pigeon hole. If you've spent the year having to watch comic book adaptions and the merch exercise that is Star Wars,, i can see why the critics liked it That said cinema more than half empty.... Probably do alright on Dvd

And she has a shot at best actress

Wilf likes this.
  18. Mrs Miggins

I saw The Shape of Water last night. Agree with what's been said above. It was enjoyable and lovely to look at but I think my expectations were too high.

19. cybershot

Aliens.

Yes, A film from 1986. And it was bloody brilliant on the big screen!

SpookyFrank likes this.
  20. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

The Shape of Water. I loved it.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  21. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Black Panther. Very good. Coogler continues to impress.

22. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Lady Bird.

About halfway in I realised that I wasn't going to provided with any sort of reason to give a shit about any of these people, and I was just going to have to get used to that fact and use the rest of the time to contemplate exactly who it is that's responsible for showering such thin material with award nominations.

I can only assume the screenplay was copied straight out of the director's own teenage diaries, with a few selfconsciously deep lines thrown in for good measure. It's even set in 2002, although if you miss the one line about it being 2002 you could easily not notice this.

I'm sure everyone involved truly believed in the film they were making though, the worthiness practically drips from the screen. A movie that would joyfully sniff its own farts if you gave it half a chance.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  23. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

So tonight Ive been to see:

Black Panther.

Superb. I can see why its doing well and some black people are flocking to see it. Its definitely a celebration of African and black culture. I had a big debate with my mate who said this film was unique-and initially he said it was because of the largely black cast. I argued otherwise-that this had been done with blaxploitation movies, Shaft even a movie like Coming To America. He argued it was much different to those movies. After coming out I can see why. Its a slow burner. A standalone to the Marvel series and everything about it I simply adored. Sumptuous to look at it-real depth to the characters. Real emotional impact and unlike some Marvel movies quite earnest. And I really dont think Ive seen a movie with so many strong female characters in it. Michael Jordon bossed that movie to be fair. I think upon second viewing its likely to be my favourite Marvel movie of all time. Roll on Infinity come April

After that screening I went to see I, Tonya

Its been described as the Goodfellas of ice skating and I can see why. The B2B soundtrack, rapid editing, monologues and breaking through the third wall... I was very impressed with Margot Robbie in the lead role. Ive only ever seen in her Wolf Of Wall Street. I actually had no idea it was even her til about half way through-and it took me half hour for me her character to start that 'I know her from somewhere' narrative in my head. She was so downplayed from that role in Wolf and she pulls it off perfectly. But Alison Janney who players mother is the real revelation. A brutal matriarchal abusive individual, a foul mouthed abusive mother that beats her daughter on a regular basis. I left the cinema feeling invested in Tonya and quite sad at her outcome and how she was the centre of a group of really quite unscrupulous people who eventually brought her down.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Thimble Queen and Wilf like this.
  24. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Shape of water - agree with what Wilf says in his spoiler.
    ITs good - but not as good as its been made out. Lacks the intensity, tension and sheer emotional punch of pan's labyrinth. Its more like ET meets City of the Lost Children. Looks beautiful though.

Wilf likes this.
  25. Wilf

I must have a nose around to read some black political responses to the film. I was running a temperature when I went earlier in the week, so probably didn't really take it all in. However I'm not sure the relationship between Wakanda and the rest of Africa would be regarded as very positive (it's late, can't be bothered to do the spoiler code and give details. Might do that tomorrow).

26. Grandma Death

Its interesting that. Because Wakanda are exploiting the natural resources-but surely thats balanced out by the actions in the end sequence. A realisation by the main protagonists they need to share what they have?

27. Grandma Death

28. Wilf

Yeah, it's precisely that. Admittedly, I shouldn't try and look for precisely lined up pan-Africanist politics in a Hollywood film, but it's the fact that for all of it's history till that point, they don't share/help out. It's an unenlightened enlightened regime.

29. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

lady bird, pretty good

gosub likes this.
  30. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

i think that people paying attention would note that not all of it's set in 2002, being as the gulf war itself in 2003, as per tv reporting in film.