List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2018

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by metalguru, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Downsizing - ok, I liked a lot of the commentary about people's attitude to the environment but I felt that one of the main character's foreign accents was played for laughs and that really made me uncomfortable.

Coco - I liked this film, an easy watch. The set-up is the best thing about the film and I slightly lost interest in the second half but it wraps up nicely in the end.

2. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

All The Money in the World

Agree with Grandma Death upthread that is dragged rather a lot. The cinematography was pleasant, but the film was not very gripping or involving. In fact, I even nodded off at a couple of points briefly.

5/10

3. gosub

gosub ~#

Gary Oldman was not channelling Harry Enfield, he will deserve the Best Actor he will undoubted get, unless it's Day Lewis again(not seen Phantom Thread)

4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Happy Ends. I generally really like Haneke's films but this was disappointing and pretty dull. A load of characters I really couldn't care less about doing things I wasn't interested in. Waste of an excellent cast.

Private Confessions. Liv Ullman directed film based on a Bergman script. So they decided to show the Swedish tv version rather than the advertised cinematic release so 3.5 hours rather than 2 hours 10 of unrelenting misery. Very well shot, interesting narrative arc and use of an unreliable narrator but the version I saw was way too long and ponderous. And very miserable indeed.

Reno likes this.
  5. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

All the Money in the World
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
    Darkest Hour
    Downsizing - Well, this is an Alexander Payne film through and through, so if you don't like his style of bittersweet downbeat satire then you are likely to think this is not much cop. It's probably a bit too long, but there's much fun to be had in the detail, and there's some great performances from Christopher Waltz, Hong Chau and Udo Kier along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed it on a wet January afternoon and the message that it's alright to be average and not have to change the world is one that is often missing from the world these days.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    jusali and Grandma Death like this.
  6. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

The Commuter

A bit like Non-Stop; but on a train. If you like Liam Neeson action films then you'll probably like this.

7. gosub

gosub ~#

Three billboards - Really enjoyed it. Cinema was full even though its been out 3 weeks. Engaging plot and three solid performances. Middle America hasn't moved on that much from the days of in the heat of the night

DJWrongspeed likes this.
  8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Hong Chau has had a lot to say in various interviews about her role in the film.

...She has expressed frustration over having to defend the character, and, by extension, her performance, to the journalists who have questioned her about it: “I have to sit there and explain to another human being why somebody who looks like me and sounds like my parents deserves to exist onscreen,”

More here:

‘Downsizing’ Breakout Hong Chau On Her Controversial Accent and Playing a Disabled Character Respectfully

Grandma Death and Maltin like this.
  9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

The Post

The golden age of the press, all star cast. Reporters, whistle blowers, stuff that's probably almost the norm these days, and perhaps because of that this fails to make an impact on you. People take risks, but not at any point does it feel like anyone is in any kind of danger. For a Spielberg film, it feels flat.

6/10

10. gosub

gosub ~#

I'd thought about that, and I agree, BUT Spielberg clearly wants it to work as a companion piece to All the Presidents Men where the scope and ruthlessness of the Nixon White House is slowly revieled as the tension builds.. Too much menace in this would muck that up and probably not be historically accurate either.. But there's enough jeopardy to colour in 'when Bradley and Graham grew a pair' which adds to a rewatch of All the Presidents Men

11. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

12 Strong

Based on true story: Chris Hemsworth plays the captain of a US special forces unit who teams up with a warlord to fight the local Taliban. Jingoistic though exciting with well staged battle scenes, wry humour raises a few laughs as well. Also impressive cinematography and an interesting look at a clash of cultures.

12. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

UK critics have given it a proper slating

13. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

And, tbf, it does look bloody awful.

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  14. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

There's a big difference between what critics think and audiences think according to Rotten Tomatoes: 12 Strong

15. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is. It still looks bloody awful.

Nanker Phelge and emanymton like this.
  16. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Dirty little feet

Just seen Phantom Thread - an excellent movie. Daniel Day Lewis was brilliant but the stand out performance for me was from Lesley Manville. She was superb.

17. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Agree, Manville is excellent. Bizarre story. Greenwood's scored bits were over bearing otherwise great performances all round. Fascinating to see into one of those London town houses.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  18. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

Three Billboards... Is McDormand up for an Oscar? She should be...

19. gosub

gosub ~#

Tough category though... Teenage girl coming of age movie a woman falling in love with a bucket of water (seen neither but reckon there both acting challenges)

krtek a houby likes this.
  20. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

Three billboards - after having tried to see it twice when it was sold out. Sold out again last night but we'd got our act together and actually booked tickets. Good performances all round, especially from Woody Harrelson. Felt almost like an old fashioned western in some ways - in a good way. Enjoyed the music as well.

krtek a houby and Kesher like this.
  21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I'd wager Margot Robbie is in with a massive chance of winning. I think Ronan won't get it (she's young, she'll get another chance). I think McDormand is odds on favourite, but there could be an upset.

Please don't give it Streep again, she's got 3 already and The Post was hardly a stretch.

I reckon Sally Hawkins will be left out in the cold this time. Oscars don't go to female leads in fantasy films.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  22. Mrs Miggins

Padmaavat.

Big Bollywood production controversial due to religious types getting upset about a scene they imagined but that wasn't actually in the film ( :facepalm::rolleyes:).
    Beautiful women, beautiful costumes, fine moustaches, battles, singing and dancing, an awesome baddy....great stuff.
    It was a special screening in Blenheim and a sell out which is unheard of - the local Indian community were out in force! I was the only non-Indian in the audience.

Mab likes this.
  23. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

Downsizing

Main characters are excellent. Loved the party scene: Matt Damon really impressed in this. Interesting story and worth seeing.

24. Mrs Miggins

I, Tonya.

About Tonya Harding - highly entertaining - especially her mother who is a magnificently foul-mouthed evil bitch :D

T & P and Nanker Phelge like this.
  25. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

Den of Thieves

Intense action. A really authentic performance by Gerard Butler it's probably the best he's done in years. Derivative yes; but the film has a twist. If you're into heist films with blazing shootouts then see this on the big screen.

26. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

The Phantom Thread

Danial Day-Lewis' final role, supposedly, about a dressmaker and his latest muse. A story about obsession, manipulation, and more than a hint of Oedipus. It's all beautifully shot and wonderfully acted, and has some very clever, and occasionally funny, dialogue. But Day-Lewis' Woodcock is no Lermontov, his obsession is slightly sad and already past. He just isn't at all sympathetic. And Alma, his victim/muse, while she is more interesting, and somewhat sympathetic, never quite becomes fully rounded, there's just something missing that makes her not ring wholly true. And then the ending....still not quite sure what to make of that

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  27. Kesher

Kesher #Cookie Jar

Darkest Hour

Top performance by Gary Oldman. Well produced, although some scenes looked like they could have been taken from a music video. Part of the scene where Churchill meets the passengers on the tube didn't work too well: looked like it was going to turn into some corny musical. Apart from that interesting and very enjoyable. Better than the one with Brian Cox.

28. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I would like to see this one. Trailer trash ice skaters what is not to like. :thumbs:

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  29. gosub

gosub ~#

The Mercy
    Reasonable telling of the story and well acted... But filming sailing clearly hasn't progressed since the Onedin line, sailors will giggle in an irritated fashion

30. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Loveless

Maybe not quite as brilliant as his previous film Leviathan, nontheless this is another staggering work of heartbreaking genius from Andrey Zvyagintsev, centred around a Moscow couple going through an acrimonious break-up, and their child who goes missing. A cold and bleak winter's tale of everyday folk from Putin's Russia.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018