1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2018

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by metalguru, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Darkest Hour

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Oldman was quite captivating. The tube train scene was rubbish, but I am sure American audiences will lap it up.

2. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

Couldnt live without mine. Had one years ago at the old UGC chain. Havent had one for 16 years. Then Odeon started doing one-and it paid for itself within 6 weeks. I love the freedom of going to see what I want knowing if its shit the card has paid for itself anyway so it doesnt matter

3. Grandma Death

This week I saw All The Money In The World. For me it was interesting because of the fact Scott completely re-shot spaceys character with Christopher Plummer in 10 weeks. There was no way of telling to be honest and Im a big fan of Plummer-he's superb in The Insider

The film was so so. Whalberg was being himself by numbers. It dragged somewhat and I had no sympathy for any of the characters so didnt give a shit whether the boy lived or died. I thought the bad guys were a bit by the numbers too. Set pieces were good and great cinematography.

Ridley Scott hasnt, in my opinion, made a great film for ages.

4. gosub

gosub ~#

Finally worked out how to get them... Vue don't make it easy

Badgers and Orang Utan like this.
  5. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Coco. Top class Pixar. Music, family, memory, loss. You will cry.

The Shape of Water. A love story with the creature from the black lagoon, handled really well. Incredible palette. Sally Hawkins is great as Elisa. Touches of Pan's Labyrinth here and there.

Badgers likes this.
  6. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Thought that wasn't out until February? Was it a preview?

7. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

solar movie dot net

Badgers likes this.
  8. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

Coco - Preview last weekend (2D only). Nice use of colour and visually interesting, but the story takes just a bit too much time to get going . The ending is quite sentimental - but just about works, I think. 7/10

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Very strong performances, especially from Frances McDormand. However the script needed a bit of work in my view including the Police just giving up on trying to work out who firebombed the police station, and a couple of the characters misguidedly played for laughs - the 19 year girlfriend and James (aka 'town dwarf'). 8/10

toblerone3 and Badgers like this.
  9. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

So not at the cinema then :rolleyes:

10. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Coco

I was trying to tease out the allegorical narrative about the tension between Guevarist and more anarchist currents within the Mexican guerilla movements, but I kept getting bits of grit in my eye or something...

Great film.

11. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Molly's Game.

I usually like court based stuff, but the court part of this isn't really until the end and by the time it get's there the film has already been going for 2 hours so you just want it to end. The story is ok involving an illegal poker game, it's been done before. Its enjoyable, but I wouldn't go out my way to watch it again.

7/10

metalguru likes this.
  12. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

All The Money In The World

Enjoyed it; maybe a bit overlong. Christopher Plummer does a fine job and so does Romain Duris as the kidnapper

13. gosub

gosub ~#

Acting isn't a stretch but probably a shoe in for best picture

14. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

No doubt. I yhought it was pretty average but that doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to the Oscars...

15. gosub

gosub ~#

A story that needed telling and wasn't told badly... But a bit like a star wars prequel (to All the Presidents Men)

Not smokey enough.

16. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

Insidious: The Last Key

Disappointing especially when compared to the first film, though it picks up in the last 20/25 minutes.

17. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Coco - lovely Mexican-influenced Pixar story about death and remembrance, which left me in bits. If you've recently lost a loved, beware! :oops:
    Had to go back to get my cycling helmet and caught the end of the credits and glad I did. Stay to the end if you want to get your full value!

18. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Excellent. Great cast: especially Woody Harrelson

19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

20. Grandma Death

Just got back from downsizing. I'm a huge fan of Paynes movies. Quirky and all have a indie quality about them all. This is probably his biggest in scope. But still having those big huge themes running through it. I adored it. A really wonderful journey and I felt completely wrapped up so much by the last 15 minutes I felt completely serene and had a huge smile on my face. Some great performances with Hong Chau completely bossing it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  21. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Haven't been to the pictures for about a year , glad I finally went , absolute stunner of a film.

Badgers and SpookyFrank like this.
  22. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

The Post

You have to put up with the slow 1st hour to enjoy the 2nd hour which greatly accelerates in pace and is well worth watching

23. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

I didn't know about that and thinking about it, even without recent events, I am much more interested in Christopher Plummer in that role than I ever would have been in Kevin Spacey doing it. Funny how things turn out.

24. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Darkest Hour

Oscar bait at its most transparent and least convincing. Oldman's Harry Enfield-grade impression is an embarassment, the story adds nothing we haven't seen a hundred times before and the script is full of bum notes and hollow schmaltz. Ben Mendelsohn's George VI is about the only highlight.

25. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Lover for a Day - French film about a young woman who's just broken up with her boyfriend, her father and her father's new girlfriend who's her age. It's a contained piece, concentrating the relationships of these three characters but that's all for the better, the characters are well drawn, acting is good, is nicely shot in black and white, and actually has a narration that works. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be getting much a release but I would definitely recommend seeing it if you get the chance.

Badgers likes this.
  26. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

Coco
    Nice film though I prefer The Book of Life which is, for example, visually far more impressive.

27. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

I'll give that one a wide berth then!! Entertainment opportunities are scarce in Blenheim and I sometimes get desperate but I was already thinking "oh god do I really need to see another film about Churchill/WW2?". You've convinced me that I do not! Bloody Dunkirk was almost a bridge too far for me (d'you see what I did there ;)).

DexterTCN likes this.
  28. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

The Darkest Hour - OK on the whole, although skirted over anything very negative about Churchill far too quickly. Reasonable to watch though with some quite nice period details.

The Post - slow start, but some decent moments, especially in the second half. It helped to have watched the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary series last year.

29. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

I finally got to see Loving Vincent on a flight and it was beautiful. I absolutely loved it.
    It's now coming to the cinemas here and I have to decide whether I will see if again on a big screen....I think I might as it is all about the visuals after all.

30. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Darkest Hour - Echo what pretty much everyone else here has already said. 7/10