1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2017

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Kesher, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

After enjoying Thor Ragnarok, I agreed to go see Justice League. I think it's probably quite a feat to make a superhero movie boring but somehow, they managed it. Terminally fucking dull. Even Kiwi Boyfriend who likes this sort of codswallop nearly fell asleep.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  2. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

I'll keep an eye out for The Florida Project as I loved Tangerine.

3. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Went to the NTLive showing of Young Marx on thursday, the first production in the Bridge Theatre, by the dudes who did One Man, Two Guvnors.

It was enjoyable, fast moving, proper funny in places, and not terrible politics. But it was odd watching Rory Kinnear playing a role which quite often turned into something you'd expect from James Corden. I haven't seen One Man... but it becomes obvious that his entire act must have been based on what he learnt in that role, and can't do anything else. Kinnear, obviously, can do a hell of a lot more than that, so it seemed just odd to see him channelling the buffoon. The rest of the cast are all excellent, it's worth a see when it's back in the cinemas on December 30th.

4. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

You have to have been seen by enough Academy members to stand a chance. It’s up to them individually which films they choose to see and which films they vote for.

5. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

The Disaster Artist

Very enjoyable and great acting by James Franco who plays Tommy Wiseau the eccentric Hollywood outsider who made the cult film "The Room" which some claim is the best worst film ever

Dr. Furface and DJWrongspeed like this.
  6. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Ferdinand

*spoilers*

A crude, liberal propagandist allegory for Catalan independence provocatively employing bullfighting, that symbol of Spanish patriotism, as it’s central motif.

Ferdinand (Catalonia) is a bull who just wants to be free to do his own thing. The Matador El Primero (The Spanish State) is determined to prevent this.

Ferdinand is also determined that his path to freedom should be a peaceful one and points out the errors of fights by to the other more militant bulls - Guapo (Galicia), Valiente (The Basque Country) and Angus the highland bull who seems utterly incongruous until you consider the failed Scottish referendum.

Eventually in the climax of the film El Primero faces off Ferdinand in the ring desperately trying to provoke him into a violent response. Ferdinand refuses - despite the painful memory of the murder of his father (the Spanish Civil War).

Ferdinand’s non-violent resistance eventually embarrasses El Primero and wins over the crowd (Spanish public opinion) who call for him to be set free. They shower him in red carnations, a clear nod to the Portuguese revolution of 1974 and the relationship between the people and the army.

Oh, and there’s an “amusing” goat.

7. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Bunker 77

The live fast die young true story of Bunker Spreckels, surfing genius and non-stop partying lunatic, heir to the Spreckels sugar fortune and stepson of Clark Cable. LSD and yoga in the morning, surfing the big ones in the afternoon. Beautiful women, kung fu, cocaine, heroin and guns also make an appearance. Bunker checked out at 27. This is his story.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Dr. Furface likes this.
  8. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Sounds great!

9. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

Ferdinand

Entertaining; but nothing special

10. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

I have seen moonlight and blade runner. Wow!

11. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Just seen it - one of the funniest films I've seen for a long time :thumbs:

DJWrongspeed likes this.
  12. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Tommy's on twitter now.

And is doing another movie.

13. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

Enjoyed the Disaster Artist last night.

Minor irritation was that two seats away was a 'performance laugher', who had to not only enjoy the film but demonstrate how much they are enjoying it.

14. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Just seen Pitch Perfect 3.

As good as the first. Even more knowing but also fun. Should banish the ghost of the dire second one.

Of the 50ish people in the audience I was the only man... I don't know if that says more bout me or the film.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  15. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

Justice League

Good chemistry between the leads supports the levity. Had to laugh when Bruce Wayne finds out that Flash AKA Barry Allen is into Black Pink

16. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

Pitch Perfect 3

I haven't seen the second one; but I thought this one was possibly better than the first. I can't say I'm into the music and the dancing was too punchy for my taste and so took a bit of time to acclimatise to. However, overall it was worth seeing.

A380 likes this.
  17. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

If you liked the first one (and anyone who didn’t is dead to me) and this one then don’t watch the second one.

Still, at least they never made any sequels to the Matrix...

18. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

What Happenned To Monday

after being truly disappointed with films recently I really enjoyed this

19. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

This is far better than the first one. It's very funny : Kevin Hart is really good, and so is Dwayne Johnson and Jack Black. Better action as well.

20. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

2D or 3D? The kids want to see this.

21. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

22. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

All the fanboys are throwing their toys out the pram, I thought it was good, but clearly setting up for another 10zillion films.

23. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

nothing. no trips for me. i use other avenues...

Wilf likes this.
  24. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Better than the last two instalments. The interactions between Kylo Ren and Rey are the most enjoyable thing about this film.

25. Kesher

Kesher 나를 잊지마요

The Greatest Showman

Enjoyable. although not a big fan of the style of dancing: proficient; but not elegant.

26. Wilf

Wilf Scratch a white car - for Christmas!

Couldn't persuade my significant other to go and watch this. It looked really good. :(

Any road, saw 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri last night. Fantastic. Great performances by Frances McDormand and Woody Harleson. One of those films that might get the odd nomination for this, that or the other - perhaps Harleson as best supporting actor. However it's not going to be on any all time greats list (a point made in a review I saw) and I doubt I'll remember it in 5 years, it's just not that sort of film. Same time, it really was great. One of those films where not everything get's neatly tied up or even resolved. Even if it is dealing with extreme events - the follow up to a murdered daughter - it still plays out with all the messiness of real life. It's also very funny.

27. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

I went to quite a lot towards the end of the year

Pitch Perfect 3 - was about 4th choice to watch but only one with seats not in the front row. It’s stupid and the same as the others but I thought it was pretty funny, especially Rebel Wilson. John Lithgow was not very good in it as her dad.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - was disappointed but mainly because I didn’t think it was exciting enough. The Kylo Ren, Rey and Snoke fight scene was the best thing in it and I thought the film might pick up momentum then but alas, it didn’t. What I thought was the Carrie Fisher farewell scene was touching and well done but then turned out not to be her last scene!

All the Money in the World - was bored watching this as well after Last Jedi. Christopher Plummer was good and probably more suited to the role than Kevin Spacey with heavy make up. Mark Wahlberg did nothing. It’s a film about a kidnapping. Surely they could have made it exciting. There was a chase scene at the end but after two hours, I didn’t care.

The Post - I enjoyed it and it has good performances but the first half was too slow and it’s odd that it focuses on The Washington Post when The New York Times were the ones to break the story so it feels a secondary story to the main one but ties in neatly with the later Watergate scandal so would be good to watch it as a double bill with All the President’s Men, which is a much better film.

downsizing - quite different from what I expected from the trailer. It is not as good as other Alexander Payne movies but was still interesting. Hong Chau stole the movie in a great performance.

I, Tonya - this was good but a bit unusual as it’s told in the format of a documentary. Allison Janney as Tonya’s mum is excellent and very funny. Margot Robbie is very good too. Other than the incident, I didn’t really know the story. Tonya is from a poor family and is a redneck with a horrible mother who becomes involved in the snooty world of ice skating. Her husband is abusive and he and his idiot friend help plot the attack on Nancy Kerrigan. The criminals in this are potrayed as complete idiots and it’s pretty funny watching them.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri - the last film I saw in 2017 and one of the best. Great performances from the 3 main characters - McDormand, Harrelson and Rockwell. Despite the story being about the rape and murder of McDormand’s daughter, it is very funny and imagine that this might put people off. I didn’t fully believe one of the developments that happened in the movie but accepted it and it worked for me.

Casual Observer and metalguru like this.
  28. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Watched it yesterday without reading any reviews apart from yours. A good fusion of dark drama and black humour. Funny parts happening when you least expect them makes them all the funnier. As you say, some of the plot developments are a bit clumsy but it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment. This film reminded me of the previous year's Hell Or High Water - another great film, similar vibe though not as overtly funny.

29. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

You are either very witty or mad.