1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List the films you've seen at the cinema: 2017

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Kesher, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Wilf

Wilf Well-Known Member

Entirely watchable, not much wrong with it - if pretty unmemorable.

Sprocket. and emanymton like this.
  2. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

I thought it was ok, but totally predictable.

Sprocket. and Wilf like this.
  3. Wilf

Wilf Well-Known Member

Yep and the Marx and Gissing characters were underused (though it may have been like that in the book as well, can't remember).

4. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

I really wanted more Marx!

Wilf likes this.
  5. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins The shores of Blighty beckon...

I went to see Wind River last night and found it to be quite dull and predictable. There was one good scene which was a massive gun stand off but apart from that, really not great. I got particularly annoyed by the fact that the Great White Male Hunter, all strong and silent, was portrayed as the only one who could sort everything out for the female FBI agent and the native American commuity around which the story centres. Don't waste your coin.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  6. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

Went to see screening of Dave Gilmore 'Live In Pompeii' from 2016. I managed to stay seated but it was close when 'One of these days' was played.

D'wards and Stumpy like this.
  7. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Fair comment.

8. Wilf

Wilf Well-Known Member

Aye, know what you mean. The native American cop in particular played the 'cynical but under-resourced' role to a T. I thought the FBI woman was being initially portrayed as out of her depth and unaware of the area - another film cliché - but would ultimately come good, which didn't actually happen. I did though think the atmospherics and acting were good.

9. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Wishing I was back behind bars...

Thought it was reasonable though I have doubts regarding some of Jane Goldman's screen writing, I saw similar faults in the Woman in Black. I don't know if she tries to make events too obvious sometimes.

10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

First cinema film I've seen in ages. A bit of Jack the ripper in there. Bill Nighy was good as the copper. A great showcase for Wilton's Music Hall. Interesting for it's portrayal of Leno. Enjoyable.

Wilf likes this.
  11. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Cant believe it....I've not seen any film in a cinema this year...and it doesnt seem that long since my last visit which was last November.

The year is going way too fast altogether.
    :(

hash tag likes this.
  12. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

I thought the trailer looked awful but I do like Charlize...is it an action film?

13. Maharani

'It' was great. Only thing was the bloody audience were mainly teens (went to peckhamplex) and mostly talked the whole way through and when not talking, someone's phone kept going off. :mad:

Best bit was someone from the audience let a couple of red balloons go at the end. Nice touch.

hash tag likes this.
  14. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

mother! last night.

Undoubtedly it is being promoted as a devastating metaphor for the destruction of the planet, and/or the creative process, delivered with Aranofsky's usual visual flair and dramatic sensibilities.

Actually, it's just rubbish. Although there is one brilliantly shot scene. The rest of the audience didn't seem to enjoy it either - 'what a load of wank' was the comment from the bloke sat beside us as it finished.

15. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It's kind of Bond meets Bourne....

16. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

That's pretty much what my other half and her friend thought about it too. I'd seen and heard enough shit reviews so I decided to give it a miss

17. Maharani

Don't mind either but don't love either either.

18. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

She does look like Debbie Harry for most of it.

Soundtrack is fun.

Otherwise it is a Bourne/Bond flick

19. Maharani

Debbie Harry now or then?

20. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Charlize Theron kicks ass.
    I liked the scene where

the bloke's beaten with that symbol of Western decadence aka a skateboard while 99 Red Balloons plays.

21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Then, dummy

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  22. Maharani

:eek:

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  23. Mrs Miggins

Went to see "It" last night. I haven't seen the original (believe it or not!). It's very horror by numbers to start with but I got sucked in by the terrific performances from the kids and ended up quite genuinely scared towards to end. Good stuff! 8/10.

24. Mrs Miggins

I agree with that. I really wanted to like it but it just felt like it skated over what could have been a good story. I'm not sure what was missing but something was.

lefteri likes this.
  25. Wilf

Wilf Well-Known Member

Yep. Saw it yesterday having seen your comments on here before, so wasn't expecting much. But yeah, 'wank' covers it, especially the last 30 minutes. I suspect there was a bit of emperor's new clothes going on in the audience. Nobody actually saying anything or admitting it was shit.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  26. Mrs Miggins

Or it's just amazing to people who normally watch Vin Diesel and are impressed by a film that doesn't have a car chase and a talking dog?

27. Wilf

Wilf Well-Known Member

<------------ I find your rejection of talking dogs... disappointing. :mad:

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  28. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

Kingsman 2 - just fucking amazing.

T & P likes this.
  29. Mrs Miggins

Really? It looks awful.

30. Mrs Miggins

You may not get this one at the cinema in the UK but last night's cinematic entertainment was a new Kiwi film The Changeover which is based on a YA fiction book by Kiwi author Margaret Mahy.

Interesting mainly because it stars a skinny (well skinnier) Timothy Spall who is fabulously creepy. The film as a whole was a bit meh sadly. It all seemed to happen too quickly with little to hold it all together. Then I read about the book and it is written very much in the head of the main character so that could explain the lack of substance. Difficult to translate that onto film. Shame because I wanted to like it more.

Also sadly, I was the only person in the cinema. Everyone was watching some stupid action movie rather than the home grown film. Or actually not sadly as having a whole cinema to yourself is awesome :) And I say "everyone" - I am living in the arsend of nowhere now and you're lucky if there's ever more than 6 other people there.

Gramsci likes this.