Linked in etiquette

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Badger Kitten, Mar 5, 2013.

1. I was fiddling about with my old linked in account and randomly ended up inviting my entire gmail contact list to be a linked in contact. I have now got lots of new contacts and some of them have endorsed me for skills, even though my profile on linked in is barely filled in and there is almost no info about me on it because I never use linked in.

I suppose I ought to use it as it looks like a good thing to have and I don't do Facebook or twitter.

Who uses linked in and how do you use it? What's the etiquette - if someone endorses you do you endorse back or just write and thank them?
    I have to say I don't really know lots of the people who I accidentally invited, and they come from all walks of life, people who just got in touch for various reasons over the last 8 years. Such as people who used to read a blog I used to write, or people who wanted to get in touch about campaigning stuff I used to do. I'm now a bit confused about what to do next and whether I have made some faux pas and whether people will be expecting me to do something...help!

2. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Neither. Half the time endorsements are the result of a blanket acceptance of the random endorsements which LinkedIn offers - four contacts pop up, with a button to press in order to endorse them. A recommendation usually merits thanks, but that takes some effort to generate. While it costs nothing to endorse and it makes people happy, that's still no reason to participate in the whole thing.

3. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I use it. I endorse people for skills I know they have, but don't expect anything in return although most of the time it's reciprocal. If I get invites from someone I don't know I just ignore it. I sometimes get them from people working for our competitors, which I also ignore.

I doubt anyone will be expecting anything, to be honest, but it won't hurt to endorse those who have endorsed you if you think they have the skills suggested.

Mrs Magpie likes this.
  4. Thanks very much.
    <starts ploughing through huge list of new contacts>

5. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

Thanks, I was wondering about this too. I keep my info reasonably up to date, I got an instruction after running into an old colleague on LinkedIn...I had a week offshore waiting for a helicopter, boring as hell but good money....but I digress

I've been endorsed by people in unrelated fields who have no idea what I do....it won't let me delete their endorsements. I've also had some where I thought they were considered and I felt I should then reciprocate.

Then you read that personnel departments take all this seriously.

So should I go on an endorsement spree?

6. Errol's son

Errol's son Well-Known Member

I like Linkledin in someways.

But some people use it as a marketing tool.

Now you have some new contacts, you will probably become overwhelmed with contact requests.

I always ignore requests from people I do not know. These people who try and befriend everyone are called LIONs (Linkedin Open Networkers). If you befriend everyone you possibly can (even those you do not know) you do end up with a powerful database of "who is who" in whatever field. But you also look like a salesman and a little desperate.

It is certainly a powerful tool and many employers look at it. If you know a load of movers and shakers in your field it certainly looks good; hence my thinking for not connecting with any Tom, Dick or Harry as this dilutes the effect.

And if you are a manipulative person you can certainly use it to effect. I got a former, quite respected, client to give me a brilliant recommendation immediately before I cut him out of a deal. Whilst that sounds bad, I can assure everyone he started misbehaving a little before I screwed him so I think he deserved it! It seems he can't edit or delete his reference!

7. TruXta

TruXta tired

Jesus wept. There are books on this shit as well.

8. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

I had to take myself off Linkedin. I had amazing receptionists who would filter calls and found it fun but the volume was so high with recruitment consultants it was ridiculous. Call volume went down over 50% when i done that!!!

9. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Is it a facebook for 'professionals'?

It's never appealed to me. Besides already having too much social media I don't consider networking for work purposes fun.

10. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

It's exactly that. I don't imagine you get many lolcats on Linkedin.

11. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

I hate the endorsement shit. I have people I used to work with years ago (or not at all!) endorsing me for stuff they think I do. Utter bullcrap and I can't help think it's just a plea for a reciprocal endorsement. I can't believe anyone puts any worth on how many endorsements people get.

12. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jah bless

I have been headhunted via linkedin, last time was quite recently. I didn't get the gig (Info Sec manager for a global pharma company - I told them I didn't do mission creep or scope change, which whilst honest, apparently was the killer) but a good friend and former colleague of mine did get it (he said he did like mission creep, the big butt kisser). The headhunters had obviously used linkedin to profile the type of person they were looking for. Since we worked together in similar positions 5 years ago, have similar skills and contacts.
    I think linkedin is a useful tool but some people take it far too seriously, my girlfriend is very selective about whoher contacts are and what value they can bring by being part of her network, how it looks like, what she has written there, but she works in a very competitive scientific area with an almighty glass ceiling and old school tie network full of chauvanistic old cunts.

13. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

So who uses linked in... I have been head hunted once and 'apparantly' had 7 searches done by Department of social dss, this week. what does this mean :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Do you remember when smileys were limited :D

farmerbarleymow and kebabking like this.
  14. TruXta

TruXta tired

Probably means someone wants your job. Or they want to bone you.

15. ice-is-forming

:D

16. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

My main reasons for using linked in are
    1) I last saw them 20 years ago and am wondering what they look like now but their Facebook is on lockdown
    2) they’re coming to collect that lawnmower I sold on eBay and I’m bored

Whagwan and kebabking like this.
  17. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

i'm using it now because i want someone to offer me a job (£100K+, four day week, 8 weeks holiday and limited travel) - unfortunately recruitment people take it very seriously and if you want a job you pretty much have to be on it. i find it all very tedious and absolutely loathe all the attempted networking that goes with it, but needs must as the Devil drives...

18. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

In my experience they have have a vacancy and you have a similar role, so they're looking to see if you might be interested or if you're the type of person they're looking for.

I don't read too much into this info, to be honest.

19. ice-is-forming

They wanted me to write my own pd for them a while ago :hmm: But I had hoped they'd gone away...

20. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

If your in a 'profession' linkedin has pretty much replaced the CV as an entry to jobs. Make sure yours looks good if your job hunting.

21. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

this, unfortunately - whatever your actual merits, and how strongly even someone at board level wants you as an individual, if your linkedin profile is a mess, or uncurated, then you're unlikely to get passed the HR drones in any large organisation.

22. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I increasingly think LinkedIn is a waste of time for job applications. It’s so massively gamed that the one thing it’s good for (connections) means less and less these days, and IME marking yourself as wanting a job just gets you on the lists of hundreds of clueless recruiters who spam you with shit jobs that are completely unsuitable. Yes I really want a junior C# developer role in Slough.

Gerry1time likes this.
  23. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I use it all the time. I work in a pretty niche area and advertise for freelancers with particular skill sets and experience. I have a huge network of contacts so usual get relevant applicants (also I’m a tight arese and don’t want to pay recruiters). That said no matter how specific the ad is about required Skillset, no remote working, no agencies, I always end up with people who are in no way qualified living abroad but would love to work for me applying. I find closed industry specific Facebook groups get more relevant applicants

24. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

I tend to get randoms from work trying to connect to me (or whatever the hell they call it). All ignored obviously. I get the various job e-mails too - often completely ridiculous and way out of my skill range - I think they are using me to make up the numbers to earn their commission. :mad: