Lindley Street, East London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Mrs D, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Mrs D

Mrs D aka Mary Baynton

This may be a long shot but does anyone have any photos of Lindley Street near Mile End Road from before the war or happen to know if there was ever a public house on that street?

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried Tower Hamlets local archive? Some councils have digitised much of their photo collection and put it online - doesn't look like TH have.

East London History Society may also be worth a try

There is a fair bit of historic OS mapping online -

This will take you to Lindley Street from 1896 OS map - looks like a fairly solid row of terraced housing, with no pub - nearest on corner of Hawkins Street / Richardson Street - would appear to have been the 'Telegraph', the 'Three Compasses' on the corner of Sidney Street / Raven Row, or the 'Shakespeare's Head' on the corner of Jubilee Street and Smithy Street.

the 'change transparency of overlay' (left side of screen) slider on the NLS map site lets you fade in and out of current mapping.

OS maps aren't 100 percent at marking pubs, but none of the buildings shown on Lindley Street looks big enough to have been a pub.

This is map of the same place in 1948 - the open spaces and the smallish detached buildings suggests fairly major bomb damage and temporary prefabs being put in place before what's there now (looks very 1950s) was built.

[​IMG]

is London Fire Brigade WW2 photo of Sidney Street.

Maggot, spitfire and editor like this.
  3. Mrs D

Mrs D aka Mary Baynton

Thanks Puddy Tat that is all very useful.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

from an 1870 25" map (when it was called north street)

upload_2018-1-11_15-0-47.png

5. Mrs D

Mrs D aka Mary Baynton

Thanks, interesting that the name changed, but actually it is the 1890s I am most interested in.

This all started a few weeks ago when my elderly grandad said his grandad was murdered by a colleague “but they covered it up”. Apparently he was pushed out of an upstairs window.

We thought he was having us on but dad wrote off to the registry office for a copy of the death certificate and it turns out it could be true. I will see if I can attach it.

I wondered if number 9 might have been where he worked as a barman, but I suppose he could have been with his colleague outside work.

FC59B5A0-8B8A-47E4-8703-BBF9DD741ABC.jpeg

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Are you sure it's number 9? The image you've posted is missing the date in December, and looks like there may be something before the 9.

Again, may be stating the bleeding obvious, but census data from over 100 years ago is online - although in most cases you have to have a paid membership to see much detail (some of the family research sites do offer a free trial, or your local library may have access online). May be worth seeing if you can trace him in the 1891 census.

Lindley Street gets the briefest mentions in Charles Booth's researches, 1898 - see page 99

blossie33 likes this.
  7. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Interesting - hope you're able to find more information!

8. komodo

komodo Well-Known Member

More details would probably be in local paper/coroners records the local library/archivist should be able to help.

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

upload_2018-1-12_19-24-52.png
    https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thi...coroners-records-for-london-and-middlesex.pdf

i tried 19th century british newspapers, the gale database, and the british newspaper archive, to see what might have been reported. there was a great rail disaster in december 1894 and one of the victims had lived at an 11 lindley street: but no barmen falling from windows. a death like that might well have been reported in the local papers, Mrs D, and i'll have another more thorough look on monday when i should have the time to go through one or two of the tower hamlets local papers.

Attached Files:

Ponyutd, TikkiB and Puddy_Tat like this.
  10. Mrs D

Mrs D aka Mary Baynton

Thank you for offering to help. Please don’t spend too much time on it because I guess the truth is lost in the mists of time. I suppose I had an idea of finding a picture of the street from the 1890s with a prominent pub on it with tall sash windows upstairs and a dodgy looking character leaning out!

The day of death in case it helps is 18th December and the inquest was on the 20th. The coroner was Wynne E Baxter who I’ve just looked up on google and he seems to be famous.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Pickman's model likes this.