Lightweight electric vehicles.

Discussion in 'transport' started by gentlegreen, Jul 23, 2017.

1. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Just accidentally happened upon this.
    It bodes very well indeed for the elderly me in the rural setting I have in mind - doubtless in 20 years' time I will be able to have an efficient little vehicle to do my shopping in that will be capable of keeping up with traffic - or maybe sooner than that to tow my sea kayak (itself with electric assistance ) :)

Poi E, Meduza, A380 and 2 others like this.
  2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Looks silly!

:)

A modern C5

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  3. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

but one that works :)

ViolentPanda likes this.
  4. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I actually think my task for the next decade will be an electric kayak with fold-up saltwater-resistant road wheels :)
    Perhaps the wheels could double as outriggers in some way.

The stepladder would have to fold down though :)

stepladderkayak.png

5. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

As somebody who doesn't cycle in my commute (in spite of it being the road cycling Mecca of the UK) because I'm too nervous in my rural setting of other traffic, the hills are too steep, there is too much chance of rain and the station is too far away for me to build up to, this looks like it would be a solution that could actually appeal to me.

Badgers and A380 like this.
  6. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

That was my first thought, but watching the video it does look fun, although I think I prefer the Renault Twizy, but the lack of side windows put me off.

dylanredefined and gentlegreen like this.
  7. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

In China they already have a massive number of electric scooters in use. Look just like petrol step through scooters. I think these may be part of the future.

They have capes for the bad weather...

D0E0665E-CD4B-413A-A5E0-B6946B63B8C5-6615-000005E3849518DC.jpeg

Poi E, gentlegreen and cupid_stunt like this.
  8. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It's a mobility scooter.

9. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

So that's where Robert Llewlyn's got to... <subscribes>

A380 and gentlegreen like this.
  10. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

I suppose the problem with these larger ones is... well similar to what DD says. It's a mobility scooter. A fast mobility scooter. There's an argument with e bikes as to whether they should be licensed or not, but that can be largely addressed by limiting their speed. They don't behave that differently from normal bikes, and to ride one you rather obviously need to be able to ride a bike. With this obviously you could limit the speed, but then you have a large object moving slowly relative to other road users with a potentially totally unskilled driver.

A380 likes this.
  11. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Don't the French already alway tiny engined cars to be driven without a lisence. Popular with people who have lost their licence for drinking.

Edit: They do!

The little car you can drive in France without a licence - BBC News

A380 likes this.
  12. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Iirc, two wheels up to 50cc was permitted sans permis from 14 when I was a lad.

13. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

That's all I will need in France once I'm settled- so long as it can tow a kayak ... I used to love the 2CV and Dyane I shared years ago, but they got really crap MPG and I spent far too much time working on them.

A380 likes this.
  14. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

cupid_stunt and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  15. UnderAnOpenSky

Kayaks are probably best put on the roof.

16. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

They can be 12 foot long !

17. UnderAnOpenSky

It's still how it's normally done.

[​IMG]

18. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

:hmm:

Bahnhof Strasse and gentlegreen like this.
  19. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Yes, I suppose even on a tiny car I could fit an extended rack ...

It's liable to be a large kayak though with lots of extras and I want to be able to launch quickly without too much faffing around...

20. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

:hmm:

Bahnhof Strasse and cupid_stunt like this.
  21. DownwardDog

You're better off with it on the roof. Kayak trailers are expensive ($2k+) and a pain in the arse. Mind you, a kayak that isn't going to get you killed in the Atlantic isn't exactly going to be cheap as you'll need a 5m+ Kevlar hull with GPS and marine VHF.

kebabking and A380 like this.
  22. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i had a go on a new mobility scooter the other day - excellent suspension, great steering, can go fast if needed and goes 35miles on a full battery....if the day comes then i look forward to bombing around in one

[​IMG]

23. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Slightly more protection, and a higher centre-of-gravity than Sinclair's three-wheeled abortion.

24. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I used to piss myself laughing watching my father-in-law stick a couple of 2-man kayaks on the roof-rack of his MG Metro. :D

25. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I'm not planning to run the Raz de Sein in bad weather ...

france-finistere-iroise-sea-raz-de-sein-and-pointe-du-raz-la-vieille-CNB239.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    kebabking, Bahnhof Strasse and A380 like this.
  26. DownwardDog

You should do it with two wheels (e-bike/kayak hybrid) as anything with three or more wheels is going to need a Certificate de Conformité and a Contrôle Technique or the cops will gleefully relieve you of many hundreds of euros.

[​IMG]

salem, cupid_stunt and gentlegreen like this.
  27. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Are you sure I couldn't get away with 3 wheels ?
    Two fold up side wheels with floats built-in, plus one steerable tail wheel that somehow doubles as an outboard / rudder ...

I reckon the French are pretty enlightened about this sort of thing so I should be able to get type approval.

A380 likes this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes