Lightroom

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by kropotkin, Jun 28, 2019.

1. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Hi all.
    I've been using a chromebook for a while now, so haven't been able to process images properly. I've just bought a new PC and will be looking to get back into photo processing.

In the past I used to use a cracked Lightroom copy- is this still possible?
    I'd be up for paying for it (up to £200 I guess), but now it looks like they've moved to an expensive subscription model of a tenner a month. That is very pricey.

What are people using nowadays?
    Is it still possible to use a standalone copy, or does it all have to be online?
    Is there something as good/better that is reasonably priced?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

3. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I never really got the hang of Lightroom properly, so still use Photoshop for my processing. I pay for the subscription (tenner a month for Photoshop and Lightoom), but I use it for work too.

I'm not sure what it's like now, but GIMP used to be one of the better free versions. IIRC there was a bit of a learning curve with it though.

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

The standalone copies still work but I don't use it - I think it offers a poor feature set for the price and has a bad UI. There are much cheaper standalone competitors around at the moment. I looked at Luminar (Luminar - The Best Photo Editing Software for Mac & PC | Skylum) recently and it seemed pretty good.

It isn't essential to use a cataloguing program anyway; it has the disadvantage of locking up your metadata. I know proper photographers who are quite happy just keeping their images in folders.

5. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I like Lightroom, I think it's great. I used to try every alternative but, much like Photoshop vs. GIMP, nothing I tried was ever any good.

6. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie It’s not a coup, you cunt!

I love lightroom. Then again I’m editing quite often. If I wasn’t then I’d probably look elsewhere. I’m happy with a tenner a month sub.

7. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

120 bucks a year, every year is a lot. But lightroom is very good.

I suppose I've got a wage now so maybe I'll start paying for software for the first time in my life.

Maybe.

It just seems wrong though.

8. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

My PC came with Photoshop Elements #9, I use that and FastStoneViewer (free) for converting NEF Raws, some editing is possible at that stage but I gather Lightroom is better if you feel able to afford it.

9. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

It is still perfectly possible to use Lightroom V6 - the last standalone version before it went subscription. So long as your camera is old enough to be supported by the final version (6.14) then the only thing that won't work is the map module (Google changed their terms of service). You'll need to install v6.0, then the update to v6.14.

What you can't do is purchase this version. You'll need an existing serial number.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

This works on any platform and is amazing
    Photopea | Online Photo Editor

I use ACDSee because I refuse to get into a subscription model for software

kropotkin likes this.
  11. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

12. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Do you use lightroom?

13. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Yes, pretty much every day.

kropotkin likes this.
  14. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Subscription or tinkered-with?

15. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I'm still using a legit v6.14. I won't do their subscription model.