LG G5 introduces modular add-ons and always on display

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Feb 21, 2016.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

2. editor

editor hiraethified

More here:

Operating system Android 6.0.1
    Processor Snapdragon 820
    Display 5.3-inch IPS quad-HD quantum display (2560x1440, 554 dpi)
    Storage 32GB UFS ROM, microSD up to 2TB
    RAM 4GB LPDDR4
    Rear camera 16MP main, 8MP wide-angle (135 degrees)
    Front camera 8MP
    Battery 2800 mAh removable
    Modules LG Cam Plus (camera grip with 1100 mAh)
    LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play
    Dimensions 149.4 x 73.9 x 7.7mm
    Weight 159 grams
    Networks LTE/3G/2G
    Connectivity Wifi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
    USB Type C, NFC, Bluetooth 4.2
    Colors Silver/Titan/Gold/Pink

3. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Ah, an always-on screen. Just the kind of additionally functionality I've always wanted on a phone that won't last a day before the battery runs out. :thumbs:

LeslieB likes this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

It apparently barely impacts on battery life because of AMOLED technology and can work out as a net gain if you're always turning on your phone to check for messages etc.

5. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Wasn't the point of smartphones to get rid of the need for separate devices?

6. editor

editor hiraethified

They're not separate devices, just slide in modules. However you spin it, most phones make lousy cameras because they're hard to hold and have no mechanical controls.

skyscraper101 and LeslieB like this.
  7. Teenage Cthulhu

Teenage Cthulhu Back at Easter Banned

Because what we really need is more clutter to carry around, lose, and break.

My phone has a Sony sensor, it is really good:

Sony Global - Products IMX377

8. editor

editor hiraethified

Review-ette here. Great to see a manufacturer trying something different.

9. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

an audiophile headphone amp that slots in the bottom and the ability to add a fourth camera thats primary function seems to be as an extended battery? smartphone manufacturers are definitely running out of ideas.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

What else can you stick in a phone these days?

11. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

i dunno, if i come up with anything decent i'll try to flog the idea to LG, they'll probably buy it.
    the inner child in me loves the fact that at a time where everyone seems to be focusing on wireless connectivity LG have started building 1980s Nintendo Gameboy style attachments.

12. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

I'll wait for the sextant plug-in with the optional sea astrolabe.

LeslieB and twentythreedom like this.
  13. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

A battery that lasts more than a day.

LeslieB likes this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

Already got that (see Sony).

15. Teenage Cthulhu

Teenage Cthulhu Back at Easter Banned

The moving parts and things slotting into other things: the more it is going to break. I have no idea what LG were thinking of with this idea. It could take off but I like my pockets clutter free.

16. LeslieB

LeslieB Banned Banned

Isn't the Fairphone 2 modular as well? Is that out yet?

17. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I can imagine being out and about, and coming across someone having a heart attack or something. "Don't panic, I'll call an ambulance, I've got my phone with me.... wait let me just find my voice calling module, it's in my bag somewhere....oh bollocks, I must have left it at home...nevermind I have my Bang & Olufsen Hi-Fi plus module with 32-bit Hi-Fi DAC upsampling so why not relax as I put some tunes on? :thumbs:"

Mungy and LeslieB like this.
  18. LeslieB

LeslieB Banned Banned

PMSL.

That one woke me up. Morning all. :)

19. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

a digital scales module accurate down to 0.1 of a gram would probably be wildly popular :thumbs:

20. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I really, really like the LG, due an upgrade very soon so will probably be getting it, I'm also very interested in the camera addon as when I go to festivals I want my phone to last as long as possible and take photos easily, if the camera addon is cheap enough I will be definitely be getting one. Wouldn't mind a listen to the B&O module as well but can't see it improving the sound that much on a compressed mp3 played over bluetooth or tiny headphones.

21. unrepentant85

unrepentant85 Dílis d'ar nOidreacht

Did anyone get this phone after? iD are offering it on a good deal. £0 upfront and £29.50 p/m for 2gb.

22. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I have.

And I like it, the phone itself isn't as premium feeling as, say the S7 but still feels nice in the hand. It's very fast when it needs to be and doesn't use much power when it is asleep, even with the always on screen on. The battery life isn't great, especially if you use it a lot, the Snapdragon CPU is very fast but also very thirsty when in full welly mode. That is offset somewhat by the fast charging, it's great to get 75% power into the phone in about half an hour. But because it is using usb3 which no-one else has yet you have to be very conscious of where your charger and cable is. The software is not perfect and does still lag occasionally, especially if you were in an app when you put the phone to sleep.

I love the camera though, the wide angle especially, I use the wide angle for most of my shots now, and get some pretty good results. It has full manual mode, but it is a bit fiddly to use, I've generally used it in auto so far.

Overall I like the phone, I think I can live with it for the next couple of years.

teuchter, unrepentant85 and editor like this.
  23. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

Sorry for the bump but I picked up one of these today with the HiFi sound module (friend)

The sound quality that it produces for such a small door stop is nothing short of amazing. It drives my Sennheiser HD800's with ease and easily rivals any of the other portable DAP's I've tried.

I'm well pleased

24. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Am considering this. The two most important things for me in a phone these days: decent camera, removeable battery.
    Looks like this is just about the only current phone that can tick both these boxes.

How long till it simply isn't possible to get a phone which you can swap the battery in?