Lewisham Neighbourhoods Chitter Chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Melinda, Apr 2, 2008.

1. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Just had an amazing dosa in Sajee, on Lee High Road - really delicious and great price.

IMG_20171209_134241.jpg

not-bono-ever, bromley and fishfinger like this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

VSL Lewisham have tweeted this map showing Lewisham and surrounding patch c. 1790

[​IMG]

Think the LCC chose wisely not to call Downham the 'Mount Misery Estate'

and :eek: at porcupines being farmed in Penge

3. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I'm amazed that so many place names have remained the same.

Surprised to see New Cross on there, I thought it was called Hatcham until relatively recently.

4. Puddy_Tat

yes, but apparently not quite that recent. If Wikipedia is right,

ETA - more on transpontine

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  5. Maggot

I have just found out about the WWII Bombing of Sandhurst School in Lewisham thanks to the exellent Running Past blog. Last week was the 75th anniversary of this attack in which 38 children and 6 teachers died.

The Bombing of Sandhurst Road School

6. Puddy_Tat

a 1974 photo of Winslade Way / Milford Towers when it was new

[​IMG]

think WH Smiths are still in the same place. This was when the gas / electricity boards had shops

Leesa Braun (@LLisab5931) on Twitter is posting a few Lewisham / Catford historical photos at the moment

not-bono-ever and oryx like this.
  7. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Loom Pit Hole!

ska invita likes this.
  8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I like Plow Garlic HIll for Telegraph HIll...I spotted a fair bit of wild garlic around in Bromley as it happens - sprouting at the moment in the pavement-side grass.

9. love detective

love detective secret pint

Nice photo, thanks

WH Smith closed down a couple of years ago though, it's a Sams 99 pence shop now

Attached Files:

10. bromley

11. ska invita

GET ON WITH IT :mad:

itll be 2030 before it gets to Lewisham..there was a time they said 2030 or so it would get to Beckenham Junction, at this rate it'll be 2040 before it reaches Bromley

12. bromley

No need for it to go past Lewisham. :D

13. ska invita

14. Puddy_Tat

ska invita likes this.
  15. Maggot

I always remember passing this brightly coloured house on Loampit Hill, and wondering who lived there. We called it the Gingerbread House. Just found out about the amazing Mr Pink, who sadly died last year.

tim, pocketscience, Smangus and 5 others like this.
  16. Puddy_Tat

couple of chances for a walking tour of radical new cross - led by someone from goldsmiths, as part of telegraph hill festival. Saturday 10 and Sunday 18 March.

Free but looks like you have to book.

more here

i've done one with mr transpontine, not sure i can do either of these...

17. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

18. bromley

Why do we have a CEO and a mayor? :hmm:

19. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Because the mayor's is a political role and the CEO's an executive one.

The mayor is there to steer the council politically and the CEO to oversee the implementation of the council's functions.

bromley and ddraig like this.
  20. craigxcraig

If anyone is looking for a decent venue space in Lewisham, then I can highly recommend the Hither Green Railway Man's Club which is two mins from the station.

We held our engagement party there last weekend and it's a great space editor was laying down the tunes and did a great job, everyone was up dancing :cool: - there's a PA, disco ball and lights and cheap beer. We had about 80ish friends and family there and it was nicely busy. We had a great night and the staff were brilliant.

£200 to hire, if you become a member it's free - also has a large garden out the back.

Well recommended :thumbs:

Maggot, bromley, ddraig and 2 others like this.
  21. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

Appropriate though. Mounting misery defines the place.
    And I can think a few characters from the Torridon area that wouldn't be out of place place in South Park :)

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It was a splendid venue!

2018-03-21_191144.jpg

craigxcraig and pocketscience like this.
  23. pocketscience

My old man used to drink in there now and again, doing his rounds of the SE London CIU clubs with snooker tables. Is it still CIU affiliated?

24. craigxcraig

editor thanks for a great nights music, everyone said how good it was, even my Uncle Pete was dancing :D thanks again.

editor likes this.
  25. craigxcraig

pocketscience it is CIU affliated. We got chatting to a couple of the thtwold boys there, they knew everyone on my street - it's a great place, I'll definitely be signing up - once nominated!

pocketscience likes this.
  26. pocketscience

There are CIU clubs everywhere. Whenever we went for a family day out down to the coast my dad would always drag us in one so he could a few swift pints on the cheep. In fact, anywhere he went he'd seem to find one and make an excuse to pop in. I reckon I'd seen most of the London ones and all on the Kent and Sussex coast by the time I was 12yo :D
    The Snooker room at Hither Green is great. :thumbs:

craigxcraig likes this.
  27. Puddy_Tat

^ that

all governments / councils have elected leadership and a paid staff that stays put when the politicians get voted out.

and someone will be head of the paid staff bit. in councils, i think they still had town clerks when i was tiny, chief executives when i started work, and some now have CEOs or managing directors. (a director in local authority is usually head of a department, not the same sort of thing as a company director)

although it's a matter of scale - little snoring parish council might employ a part time parish clerk and a casual caretaker at the village hall

think jim hacker (politician) and sir humphrey (civil servant) if you're the right age to remember that.

the other question is the benefits and otherwise of the 'executive mayor' model of local government rather than the traditional leader / chair of the council and ceremonial mayor model - and the cabinet system against the more traditional committee structure.

and i'm not sure i've got the energy for that this time of night.

every so often the tories in lewisham campaign (sometimes without saying all that clearly they are the tories) for the 'executive mayor' model to be abolished in lewisham. usually soon after they have put up a candidate and lost. i'd have a bit more respect for this if their mayoral candidate stood on the platform of abolishing the role...

oryx likes this.
  28. craigxcraig

pocketscience our fathers were probably related! The snooker room is still there and downstairs there's a decent looking pool table and a darts board - think they've quite an active darts team at the club.

pocketscience likes this.
  29. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

On Friday 9 March 2018, 35-year old Kevin Clarke was restrained to death by Metropolitan Police officers during a mental health crisis in the Polsted Road area of Lewisham that afternoon.

[​IMG]

30. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero