Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lewes vs Dulwich Hamlet - Weds 10th Feb 2016

Christian Burt

If Macca is booted out, that'll be pretty much the only "worth every penny of my tenner" exciting footballer lost for this season.

He looked frustrated against Harrow, but not to the extent of being petulant. Hope it can be resolved as the guy is class.

blueheaven

I presume we'll see a few changes to the starting lineup for this game after the performance against VCD. I think Dean McDonald will be benched as he looked out of sorts/disinterested on Saturday, culminating in one bizarre attempted shoulder pass which went straight out, and was then subbed straight after the second VCD goal. Rhys to start in his place so we would have two proper wingers again which might help Moss get some decent service. I also think Jack Dixon will start, having been unlucky to be on the bench after being one of our best players in the previous few games. Plus as he's ex-Lewes he should be fired up for it. With Dixon in, I'd drop Ash as he's not offering much at the moment (taking out his penalty and assist against Staines) - too casual at times, slows the play down by taking an extra touch and offers very little defensively. We will have to find someone to take the free kicks and corners but am sure we can manage. If Jordan Brown is ready to start, I'd bring him in at left back as he's more of an attacking threat than Jordan Hibbert and just as solid defensively. Other possibility if Gav wants to shake things up, could be to drop Sankofa who's looked a bit suspect recently (beaten for pace a few times against Staines and outmuscled by Sappleton against VCD), move Mitchell Nelson into centre back with Drage (assuming Ethan is still out) and put Jordan Hibbert at right back. Thoughts?
Once Pinnock and Brown are both fit and back in the team I'd quite like to see Hibbert at right-back. Nelson's a great attacking option at set-pieces but I think Hibbert's a better all-round full-back.

McDonald is one I can't really make my mind up about. His technique is fantastic and he's great fun to watch, but there's very little end product from him. I'd much rather see us start RMW, who despite some weaker recent form, is a player who I think can do a lot of damage to opposition teams. His pace and direct style are a massive asset and, for me, he's a player who could be the difference between going up or not.

Agree that Dixon deserves a run in the team, but I can see Gavin's problem with dropping Carew. His set pieces make him a really important player, and he has that bit of ability to do something special in a game. I wouldn't be against seeing all three of Dixon/Carew/Waldren playing, giving Dixon or maybe Ash a bit more of a chance to get forward. Something along the lines of...

___________Wilson

Hibbert Drage Pinnock Brown

_______Carew Waldren
__________Dixon
Clunis______________ RMW

__________Moss

Monkeygrinder's Organ

Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager
Once Pinnock and Brown are both fit and back in the team I'd quite like to see Hibbert at right-back. Nelson's a great attacking option at set-pieces but I think Hibbert's a better all-round full-back.

McDonald is one I can't really make my mind up about. His technique is fantastic and he's great fun to watch, but there's very little end product from him. I'd much rather see us start RMW, who despite some weaker recent form, is a player who I think can do a lot of damage to opposition teams. His pace and direct style are a massive asset and, for me, he's a player who could be the difference between going up or not.

Agree that Dixon deserves a run in the team, but I can see Gavin's problem with dropping Carew. His set pieces make him a really important player, and he has that bit of ability to do something special in a game. I wouldn't be against seeing all three of Dixon/Carew/Waldren playing, giving Dixon or maybe Ash a bit more of a chance to get forward. Something along the lines of...

___________Wilson

Hibbert Drage Pinnock Brown

_______Carew Waldren
__________Dixon
Clunis______________ RMW

__________Moss
Yeah I'd agree with all of that. I said when what's-his-name went off to Maidstone that I thought the bigger loss might be moving away from three proper midfielders back to two. I think we always have a tendency to lose out in midfield, especially on the break, with two in midfield and I don't think just switching Carew for Dixon solves that.

pitchfork

I'd go for two up top with Erskine and Moss and two wide players (RMW/Clunis) then have Waldren and Dixon sitting in front of the back four. Carew is a luxury player, alright when you are on top at home in front of 2000 but when you need a bit grit away from home on a bumpy pitch in crap weather not effective at all.

Pink Panther

The comments attributed to Gavin in the South London Press (posted on another thread) suggest he won't be making wholesale changes and will be looking for the bulk of Saturday's XI to redeem themselves.

I think McDonald would have come off before the second goal on Saturday, but RMW went to fetch something from the dressing room several minutes before the substitution was made and Kevin James was shouting after him to "hurry up"

Carew is a 'luxury player', but he's our leading scorer, probably has more 'assists' than anyone else, and he's as likely to bury a crucial penalty or deliver a telling set piece in the first ten minutes as in the last ten, so I can see why Gavin wants him on the field as much as possible rather than bringing him off after an hour when he's having an indifferent game or starting him on the bench. Perhaps part of the problem is that McDonald has also begun to resemble a luxury player as his form has dropped in recent games, and you can't really accommodate two at the same time.

pitchfork

The comments attributed to Gavin in the South London Press (posted on another thread) suggest he won't be making wholesale changes and will be looking for the bulk of Saturday's XI to redeem themselves.

I think McDonald would have come off before the second goal on Saturday, but RMW went to fetch something from the dressing room several minutes before the substitution was made and Kevin James was shouting after him to "hurry up"

Carew is a 'luxury player', but he's our leading scorer, probably has more 'assists' than anyone else, and he's as likely to bury a crucial penalty or deliver a telling set piece in the first ten minutes as in the last ten, so I can see why Gavin wants him on the field as much as possible rather than bringing him off after an hour when he's having an indifferent game or starting him on the bench. Perhaps part of the problem is that McDonald has also begun to resemble a luxury player as his form has dropped in recent games, and you can't really accommodate two at the same time.
Point taken, but if we had more width and better service to the strikers then maybe we wouldn't need to rely on Carew so much.

Monkeygrinder's Organ

Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager
I'd go for two up top with Erskine and Moss and two wide players (RMW/Clunis) then have Waldren and Dixon sitting in front of the back four. Carew is a luxury player, alright when you are on top at home in front of 2000 but when you need a bit grit away from home on a bumpy pitch in crap weather not effective at all.
Sorry but have you got a 'British football cliche generator' programme running?:p

'Game of two halfs, get it in the mixer, get stuck in, can he do it on a wet Tuesday night at VCD.'

Joe K

no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele
My long-time beef with AC is that he isn't a luxury player, fwiw. He's basically a functional attacking midfielder who has incorporated a few moves into his game, but it's all rehearsed flair - I don't think he's a genuine improvisor or loose cannon in the way (for example) Deano Macca is. This means that when he's off form - when the rehearsed moves aren't working - he's a vortex in the team, sucking energy out of moves. I resent the idea that if you don't think he's amazing you're some kind of footballing caveman - I'm all for the idea of glorious, Berbatovian inefficiency but that isn't really what Ash delivers. He's either smartly efficient or invisible.

StephenMac

My long-time beef with AC is that he isn't a luxury player, fwiw. He's basically a functional attacking midfielder who has incorporated a few moves into his game, but it's all rehearsed flair - I don't think he's a genuine improvisor or loose cannon in the way (for example) Deano Macca is. This means that when he's off form - when the rehearsed moves aren't working - he's a vortex in the team, sucking energy out of moves. I resent the idea that if you don't think he's amazing you're some kind of footballing caveman - I'm all for the idea of glorious, Berbatovian inefficiency but that isn't really what Ash delivers. He's either smartly efficient or invisible.
Now, now, Joe. Don't be resentful. Not suggesting anyone's a caveman, more that whenever things go awry Ash seems to be the first against the wall. I'm old enough to refer to it as Hoddle syndrome.

You going tonight?

Dulwich Mishi

Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!
R.I.P.
Mitchell Nelson CF; Nyren RB; Albz LB; Phil in the dugout; a creature spliced from Danny, Ash and Dicko in the middle; Mossy's beard in the hole.

Title's ours.
Love to be proved wrong...but I think it's the lottery of a play-off for us. I think we've blown the title...too many points dropped unnecessarily... Having said that...would love to thrash Lewes tonight.

Joe K

Now, now, Joe. Don't be resentful. Not suggesting anyone's a caveman, more that whenever things go awry Ash seems to be the first against the wall. I'm old enough to refer to it as Hoddle syndrome.

You going tonight?
Aye. When you getting there? I'm sitting in my office with nowt to do, having just finished teaching.

Joe K

Think I'll get there about twenty to. Send me a text when you're in; I think you have my number.

JTee

H&R are 2-0 down. Think they were at Kingston a few weeks back and won 3-2 so hopefully no repeat of that!

PartisanDulwich

Full Time 3-1 and comments on social media suggest just as lost as on Saturday at VCD
well done to our brave loyal friends who went down (I salute your)

These things happen (well to Dulwich Hamlet)

and of course Hampton & Richmond were 2-0 down but drew 2-2

need to just get on with the job
and not demoralise players or fans

best response we can do, is build a winning atmosphere at Champion Hill on Saturday

keep the atmosphere and turn Champion Hill into a fortress (well not literally)

Ca4nLs2XIAE5eXL.jpg

Last edited:

billbond

Banned
Banned
oh dear
Awful result, agree with above Title has gone on this form play offs might be dodgy as well
Maybe the team are ok for sexy football on better surfaces, but get to winter months and seems the roll up the sleeves goes missing there is bit of a record of this in recent years
If they can hang in there still could be a grandstand finish at the death,but obvs 2abysmal defeats on the trot now
fair play to those that went tonite on a real horrible day weather wise

editor

hiraethified
On my Lord. That was doubleplus shit. Really awful performance.

On the plus side, I got to enjoy several pints of my favourite Harveys Sussex Ale in the fabulous Lansdown pub *and* I discovered a disused railway line on my wanders before the game.