Lewes vs Dulwich Hamlet - Weds 10th Feb 2016

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Denmark Hill to Clapham Junction, then Clapham down to Lewes
    Train at 5.10 gets to Lewes at 6.30

Trains back at 9.08, 9.50, 10.40. All take just over 1.5 hrs.
    link to National Rail Enquiries: National Rail Enquiries - Journey Planner - Trains Times and Fares

2. Terry.c

Terry.c Member

pompeydunc likes this.
  3. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

If Macca is booted out, that'll be pretty much the only "worth every penny of my tenner" exciting footballer lost for this season.

He looked frustrated against Harrow, but not to the extent of being petulant. Hope it can be resolved as the guy is class.

Scutta likes this.
  4. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Once Pinnock and Brown are both fit and back in the team I'd quite like to see Hibbert at right-back. Nelson's a great attacking option at set-pieces but I think Hibbert's a better all-round full-back.

McDonald is one I can't really make my mind up about. His technique is fantastic and he's great fun to watch, but there's very little end product from him. I'd much rather see us start RMW, who despite some weaker recent form, is a player who I think can do a lot of damage to opposition teams. His pace and direct style are a massive asset and, for me, he's a player who could be the difference between going up or not.

Agree that Dixon deserves a run in the team, but I can see Gavin's problem with dropping Carew. His set pieces make him a really important player, and he has that bit of ability to do something special in a game. I wouldn't be against seeing all three of Dixon/Carew/Waldren playing, giving Dixon or maybe Ash a bit more of a chance to get forward. Something along the lines of...

___________Wilson

Hibbert Drage Pinnock Brown

_______Carew Waldren
    __________Dixon
    Clunis______________ RMW

__________Moss

5. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yeah I'd agree with all of that. I said when what's-his-name went off to Maidstone that I thought the bigger loss might be moving away from three proper midfielders back to two. I think we always have a tendency to lose out in midfield, especially on the break, with two in midfield and I don't think just switching Carew for Dixon solves that.

blueheaven likes this.
  6. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

I'd go for two up top with Erskine and Moss and two wide players (RMW/Clunis) then have Waldren and Dixon sitting in front of the back four. Carew is a luxury player, alright when you are on top at home in front of 2000 but when you need a bit grit away from home on a bumpy pitch in crap weather not effective at all.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  7. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

The comments attributed to Gavin in the South London Press (posted on another thread) suggest he won't be making wholesale changes and will be looking for the bulk of Saturday's XI to redeem themselves.

I think McDonald would have come off before the second goal on Saturday, but RMW went to fetch something from the dressing room several minutes before the substitution was made and Kevin James was shouting after him to "hurry up"

Carew is a 'luxury player', but he's our leading scorer, probably has more 'assists' than anyone else, and he's as likely to bury a crucial penalty or deliver a telling set piece in the first ten minutes as in the last ten, so I can see why Gavin wants him on the field as much as possible rather than bringing him off after an hour when he's having an indifferent game or starting him on the bench. Perhaps part of the problem is that McDonald has also begun to resemble a luxury player as his form has dropped in recent games, and you can't really accommodate two at the same time.

8. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Scannell will be disappointed not to appear in people's plans. Good to see the return of the Carew luxury player meme though, it's been a good couple of months.

pompeydunc, Lucy Fur and Scutta like this.
  9. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

Point taken, but if we had more width and better service to the strikers then maybe we wouldn't need to rely on Carew so much.

10. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Sorry but have you got a 'British football cliche generator' programme running?:p

'Game of two halfs, get it in the mixer, get stuck in, can he do it on a wet Tuesday night at VCD.'

pompeydunc likes this.
  11. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

Mitchell Nelson CF; Nyren RB; Albz LB; Phil in the dugout; a creature spliced from Danny, Ash and Dicko in the middle; Mossy's beard in the hole.

Title's ours.

12. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Ash Wednesday today.

A SIGN

clog, Christian Burt and Lucy Fur like this.
  13. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

My long-time beef with AC is that he isn't a luxury player, fwiw. He's basically a functional attacking midfielder who has incorporated a few moves into his game, but it's all rehearsed flair - I don't think he's a genuine improvisor or loose cannon in the way (for example) Deano Macca is. This means that when he's off form - when the rehearsed moves aren't working - he's a vortex in the team, sucking energy out of moves. I resent the idea that if you don't think he's amazing you're some kind of footballing caveman - I'm all for the idea of glorious, Berbatovian inefficiency but that isn't really what Ash delivers. He's either smartly efficient or invisible.

clog and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  14. StephenMac

Now, now, Joe. Don't be resentful. Not suggesting anyone's a caveman, more that whenever things go awry Ash seems to be the first against the wall. I'm old enough to refer to it as Hoddle syndrome.

You going tonight?

15. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Love to be proved wrong...but I think it's the lottery of a play-off for us. I think we've blown the title...too many points dropped unnecessarily... Having said that...would love to thrash Lewes tonight.

16. ForwardHamlet

ForwardHamlet Well-Known Member

Agree with all points. Especially the final one.

17. editor

editor hiraethified

On my waaaaay!

18. Joe K

Aye. When you getting there? I'm sitting in my office with nowt to do, having just finished teaching.

19. StephenMac

Due in at 17.56 having just missed a train. Imagine there are a few there already though.

20. Joe K

Think I'll get there about twenty to. Send me a text when you're in; I think you have my number.

21. StephenMac

Will do.

22. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

I'l be on Erhun FA Cup watch

Moroccan Sunset and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  23. JTee

JTee Active Member

H&R are 2-0 down. Think they were at Kingston a few weeks back and won 3-2 so hopefully no repeat of that!

24. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

25. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Full Time 3-1 and comments on social media suggest just as lost as on Saturday at VCD
    well done to our brave loyal friends who went down (I salute your)

These things happen (well to Dulwich Hamlet)

and of course Hampton & Richmond were 2-0 down but drew 2-2

need to just get on with the job
    and not demoralise players or fans

best response we can do, is build a winning atmosphere at Champion Hill on Saturday

keep the atmosphere and turn Champion Hill into a fortress (well not literally)

Ca4nLs2XIAE5eXL.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Lucy Fur and Jimbob73 like this.
  26. billbond

billbond Banned Banned

oh dear
    Awful result, agree with above Title has gone on this form play offs might be dodgy as well
    Maybe the team are ok for sexy football on better surfaces, but get to winter months and seems the roll up the sleeves goes missing there is bit of a record of this in recent years
    If they can hang in there still could be a grandstand finish at the death,but obvs 2abysmal defeats on the trot now
    fair play to those that went tonite on a real horrible day weather wise

27. editor

editor hiraethified

On my Lord. That was doubleplus shit. Really awful performance.

On the plus side, I got to enjoy several pints of my favourite Harveys Sussex Ale in the fabulous Lansdown pub *and* I discovered a disused railway line on my wanders before the game.

Cyclodunc, Christian Burt and darryl like this.
  28. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

The players and fans are cunts

29. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I recommend a stalin esque purge led by london nurse #solidaritybrother

Dulwich Mishi and Cyclodunc like this.
  30. Champion_hill

Champion_hill Well-Known Member

Try not demoralising players when you've spent 50 plus quid on yet another shite performance at lewes. If people who have made the journey want to be pissed off, then so be it.