Lewes Bonfire Night

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Badgers, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

[​IMG]

Lewes Bonfire Council Website

I especially like this disclaimer for all visitors:

So have any Urbans been before? I have done several years and loved it every time but is it SO fucking busy that I have not been for a while.

2. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

I've been to the ones at Battle the last couple of years, they're amazing events that just wouldn't be allowed in London, maybe wisely.

The Lewes Bonfire Society website used to have a message along the lines of 'this is a local event for local people'.

3. zenie

zenie >^^<

I would so love to go :D Have no car atm :( :mad:

4. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Heh heh :)

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

I went a few years ago and it's amazing. Barrels of fire rolling down the street, burning popes and politicians, carnival atmosphere loads of people out drinking and eating, then massive firework displays form every corner of the town. Very much worth seeing.

6. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

It is a wonder isn't it? The tar barrel racing is faster and closer to the crowd than most people would ever expect. Great to go to the society displays at the end, see the effigies getting blown up and the skies endlessly filled with fireworks.

Best year for me was when my dad and I sold burgers and hot dogs at the roadside. Had a couple of camping stoves and old frying pans. Cool boxes full of cheap supermarket sausages and burgers, bags of rolls on the ground. 50p a time and they were sold out in a flash. Proper health and safety all the way. Was there for three hours sitting on the ground cooking with bangers going off all around. I think I had washed my hands around lunchtime in the pub but don't recall ;)

What was great that year was that we were in one spot on the main route so saw all the processions loop round.

7. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

It is a pretty incredibile night, its a hell of an event - some people find it a bit alarming, and the anti-catholic undertone (albeit pretty diluted now - apart from burning the pope!) set some european catholic friends a bit on edge.

Don't worry, I reminded them about our protestant martyrs on the hill !:mad:

8. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Bump.

Anyone going this year? It is a Saturday so probably mad busy!!

10. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

<smug>
    It's where I live
    </smug>

To be honest it can be a nightmare for us locals, outsiders park everywhere, including my neighbours front lawn, they weren't happy.

11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I imagine it can be a headache. We had family there for a while so had a good vantage point. Also got sneaked in to the 'locals only' pubs for ale and stuffs.

12. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

A few pints of Badgers no doubt. ;)
    They serve that in my fav Lewes pub. Good stuff.

13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Indeed :cool:

Also partaking of many Harvey's ales

14. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

not for outsiders is it? it's all wicker man type weird stuff. i'm staying away.

15. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Didn't they burn a mock-up of a gypsy caravan one year? :eek:

16. DJ Squelch

DJ Squelch King Of Insides

That was Firle Bonfire Society along the South Downs a bit, they burnt a caravan with "Pikeys" written on it.

I went on sat on Cliffe Hill last year overlooking Lewes, you could see all the different firework displays and the whole town lit up from the processions, 100s of people up there with me.

17. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I want to go this year, but its also a mates leaving do in fulham :(

18. editor

editor hiraethified

I went there once. Loved it!

19. editor

editor hiraethified

There's some aggro in the comments after that article too.

20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

21. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

I've always wanted to go but it seems like a ball ache to get to and park at. Last few years I've gone to Brockham - torch procession, guy burning, massive fire and fireworks, village pubs open etc - albeit not as good as Lewes appears.

22. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

Never wanted top go, not really that into traditional events about burning Catholics.... Makes me a tad queasy. But hey it's traditional....

23. editor

editor hiraethified

It's not literally, actually, about that any more, you know.

24. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I really want to go before it gets stopped for being dangerous....

Was offered to work as a steward, i just cant get there this year i dont think.....

25. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

I am well aware of the massive dilution of the openly anti-RC bigotry, I still find celebrating the burning of Catholics and the still clear anti RC element a tad uncomfortable. No matter how many smiling jolly faces reminding us it's just a bit of fun and a tradtition here.

26. TruXta

TruXta tired

*waits for someone to call Feds a party-pooper*

27. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

[​IMG]#

we always had a bonfire on November the 5th when I was a kid, but never, ever, a guy.

28. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to stop it and i'd sign any petition against it being stopped for 'political' reasons or H&S reasons etc. Just not for me.

29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

[​IMG]

Seems plans are afoot in the Lewes area today :)

Greebo likes this.
  30. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Is that ^ the John Harvey?

I'm working down that way next week and we've also got an open invitation from friends down there but I'm a bit cowardly about fireworks, if there are idiots about.

Greebo likes this.