Lets travel Africa...

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Wasn't sure where to post this...just heard this, for want of a better word, sea shanty from Japan... (Sōran Bushi - Wikipedia)

kind of uncanny how much it sounds like some west african blues...the universal language of folk music

2. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

This is a great compilation of Somali music from the 70s and 80s:

Sweet As Broken Dates: Lost Somali Tapes from the Horn of Africa

In 1988 as the civil war broke out some Somali radio operators removed an archive of 10,000 tapes and master reels from the country and buried them in Ethiopia and Djibouti. They were recently excavated and are now held by the Red Sea Foundation. This is a pick of 15 tracks from the archive. There's loads of highlights. Love this one:

littleseb likes this.
  3. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

This is great stuff! How lucky all these tapes have been saved from the war.
    I always liked the band-ish stuff from the Horn, but really love roots music that grew out of the back- and forth between Mogadishu / Hargeisa and Aden / Hodeida. Beautifully moving music developed between those two cultures.
    I'm a big fan of people like Cumar Duule and Xodeidi (from the Somali side of things) and Faisal Alawi (from the Yemeni side). I can hear both cultures in equal measures in that kind of music.

(I've collected lots of tapes when I was in Yemen, I have a few hundred of them, and never go tired of them)

Spandex likes this.
  4. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

5. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pretend to be any kind of expert on Somali music - besides that comp I've only heard a handful of other tracks and had a skim listen of that video you posted - but it seems to be a real musical melting pot with afro, arabic and bits of western and Indian music all mixed together creating a unique fusion style.