Lets travel Africa...

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

A musical tour of Africa going counter-clockwise around the continent...setting off from Ghana...

Eric Agyeman, highlife style

Alhaji K.Frimpong - funk organ Ghana style

Ghana travel facts: The word Ghana means "Warrior King". Is in the same timezone as the UK and also roughly the same size. Population 22 million.

[​IMG]

Fez909 likes this.
  2. ska invita

great tune and love the synth stabs

really nice oldskool hiphop feel to this...

Proper Ghanaian drum session featuring some super talented kids

3. ska invita

Togo

Seems that it's female singers who really dominate Togolaise music...
    Afro-cuban vibes on this one...Afia Mala...wasn't convinced at first but its a grower...

Bella Bellow, the biggest star in Togo

Nimon Toki Lala - this one from the early 90s in a Soukous style...
    really like this...uplifting sunshine music

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ska invita

[​IMG]
    Benin
    Lots of great stuff from Benin....

This tracks in Rumba mode...

[​IMG]

5. ska invita

a bit 80s this one (im guessing) but i like it. Tchink-system music, great name

Full gig here - this guy is excellent - jazz guitar is usually pretty twee - this isnt - the whole band is great

6. ska invita

The bus broke down but made it to Nigeria...where 1 in 6 Africans lives...where over 500 languages are spoken...where lots of great music gets made... will have to stay a while.

Have to start with some Fela

Keeping it political, funky and lo-fi with William Onyeabor

Mr Onyeabor in the studio...
    [​IMG]

(please post some!!)
    [​IMG]

7. ska invita

King Sunny Ade juju sound afro dub thing

8. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Zimbabwe

Got the KInshasa guitars of the time, but oh, the riddim, the voices, Four Brothers, always good, so sad thy are no more.......

Thomas Mapfumo
    Have seen this man 3 times, he is fantastic, locked up by the Rhodies, fuck em, man is a Prince

At the 100 Club in 88 he had 2 guys on the stage just doing the counter claps, superb

Slightly newer like

[​IMG]
    Mugabe may be a bonkers, violent and despicable despotic thug, but the people of Zim are totally different, full of humour, resourceful and can make music like this........

eatmorecheese likes this.
  9. ska invita

...sticking with Nigeria, friday night cab driver selects Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey, supposedly only second to Sunny Ade when it comes to ju ju business

10. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Revive!

Because I've been listening to loads of African music recently.

And because it's a shame that this thread sunk before the Ska's tour of Africa was complete. Although, it was a pretty ambitious tour: all the music ever from 55 different countries as varied as Egypt and South Africa, Togo and Ethiopea. And I haven't quite figured out how the anti-clockwise route would take in all the landlocked countries in the centre of the continent. Anyway...

Picking up where hipipol left off in Zimbabwe:

Hipipol posted one Four Brothers track but I love this one:

Four Brothers - Wapenga Nayo Bonus

The Bhundu Boys are pretty well known in the UK. They moved here in the 80s and toured pretty extensively. I saw them once at a free festival and they blew away everything else I saw that day (or was it that I smoked too much and they were all I can remember..?)

Bhundu Boys - Wenhamo Haaneti

I haven't quite got my head around the various genres of Zimbabwean music. Bhundu Boys called themselves Jit. Another style I love is Sungura:

Tongai Moyo - Nemumvura Mese

Leonard Dembo & Barura expres- Dudzai

John Chibadura & the Tembo Brothers - Ndinoda Rudo Rwako

eatmorecheese and ska invita like this.
  11. Spandex

Kenya

Soundway have recently put out a really good compilation of Kenyan music, which covers various styles from the 70s and early 80s, following on from their Nigeria Special albums:
    [​IMG]

The best known style in Kenya is Benga (not to be confused with the dubstep producer of that name - what was he thinking? It's like a metal band calling themselves Calypso or something).

But what I love most is the Kamba style. I could listen to it all day. And have done.

Here's a 40 minute mix of Kamba music:

And here's another one:

I love the videos - normally the singer standing somewhere pretty unglamouous, like in a bush at the local park, or by the side of a road, intercut with a couple of ladies doing a dance :D Here's the brilliant Muenjoy wa Kathambi at the local park with friends:

12. Spandex

Democratic Republic of Congo

If one style is associated with the DRC it's surely Soukous.

I love Pepe Kalle. He was (RIP) an enourmous man, with his pygmie friend Emoro as his dancer:
    [​IMG]

Pepe Kalle- Pon moun paka bouger

This track is fucking amazing:

Nyboma & Pepe Kalle- Zouke Zouke

Another soukous guitarist that's done some great stuff is Pablo Lubadika:

Pablo Lubadika - Ngai Locataire

13. ska invita

good one spandex - i got stuck in nigeria - look forward to checking all these out and carrying on the tour

14. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

Great idea for a thread! I'll be hopping on the bus once you get to Somalia and the rest of the Horn and will dust off some old tapes from the Mogadishu / Aden crew. In the meantime I'll be catching up with everything up there ^^^.

15. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

ps - will mainly concentrate on mid 6ts to early 8ts Horn sounds, if that's allowed???

hipipol and eatmorecheese like this.
  16. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese massaged in hot chocolate

Tanzania. Dar es Salaam has spawned Bongo Flava, a fusion of contemporary hip hop, reggae and other styles.

Recorded in Tanzania, this artist is Zambian... Divine voice. Fishco regulars know that I predictably play this:

17. chasbo zelena

chasbo zelena Banned Banned

Strangely, listening to Nigeria special volume 2 right now.

Asiko Mi Ni - The Nigerian Police Force Band 'The Force 7'

In Nigeria, even the Police bands are better than the successful ones over here. ;)

18. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Frances Bebey

19. ska invita

Here's 3 great tracks from Angola in a Kuduro style - shuffling electro/house type beats with a shit load of attitude and energy - went down a storm down the fishco

Dj killamu-não maya

SURUBA - FOFANDO E SABOROSA

Noite Dia Feat Agre G Ta Queimar

20. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

i have a great double album, soweto street music, that i've had on a lot over the summer. hypnotic, repetitive and uplifting, like wot dance music should be.

21. ska invita

BUMPING this old thread for a nice new show on Radio 2 which basically does what this thread was trying to do and travel africa musically
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04k6c9g
    First show was on tonight, and its a three parter
    presented by the Idris the Wire Elba, who I get the feeling used to dj african tunes at weddings and such
    hes got a really nice radio manner
    top show, recommend

tracks like this!

frogwoman and Fez909 like this.
  22. sim667

Something quite modern, I'm a big fan of is Spoek Mathambo

He's from Soweto in S.Africa.

23. sim667

And Tinariwen from Mali

Rutita1 likes this.
  24. sim667

Amazigh Kateb is Algerian born, but emigrated to France. As well as being a solo artist he also is in a band called Gnawa Diffusion, who aren't suited to this thread as they're french.

ska invita likes this.
  25. sim667

Tiken Jah Fakoly is a Reggae musician from Côte d'Ivoire.

26. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Cameroon

Manu Dibango - Soul Makossa

27. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

ska invita likes this.
  28. sim667

I wish there was some way to autmatically make playlists from the youtube links in threads.

29. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Really enjoyed that, ta!

ska invita likes this.
  30. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

saw Tal National from Niger at Café Oto a couple of weeks ago. Highly recommended, best gig I've been to in a very long time:

ska invita likes this.