Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's talk about Teesside.

Where in Teesside are you from/do you live?

• Total voters

Part 2

bizarre wanking accident
My school had an annual trip to Billingham Ice Rink. Don't recall ever going though.

Took my lad to a Skatepark in Stockton a few times years ago. The owner was a legendary nutter called Turbo Tash.

Casually Red

tomorrow belongs to me
first house I lived in was beside the mosque. Every fucking saturday morning a massive big noisy wedding procession right outside my bedroom window..me hungover as fuck. Little fat Indian kid with an imaginary freind or something used to wake me up most mornings running up and down shouting Mr India Mr India ..really loud. Everyday. Mr India was apparently Asias answer to Superman, and could go invisible. Right outside window, I wanted him dead . Prayed the pitbulls that roamed everywhere got him.
Was a house with an interesting history. I thought the mattress looked a bit manky and turned it over to reveal a large bloodstain. Menstrual or murder I know not.

Sitting watching telly one night some punter wandered into our living room demanding to know when the blues party was starting. Bold as brass. Me wideyed with a mouthful of fishfingers trying to tell him to fuck off out of it.
Few nights later a knock on the door from 2 very tense seeming black guys looking to buy some horse. Had the distinct impression they were looking to rip off a drug dealer by violent means or something like that . Suspicion was confirmed next morning by Ali in the asian shop when I told him what happened. He then informed me the previous residents were heroin dealers whod moved out in a hurry.
Id my stuff packed and moved out within the hour.

All a bit of a culture shock for a lad from a little village

alan_

I've been up here for a few years now (you never know how your life will pan out or whats around the corner) and if I fell asleep on the train home I would wake up in Saltburn, so that narrows it down a bit. I saw the library picture from Fez so figured he was in the vicinity but never thought there were many other people posting on the boards from this area. There is of course a large student population that washes in and out every year and that is a contributing factor in arresting the post industrial decline that has hit hard here. I can confirm that there is a appalling drug problem in this area, that is, the drugs are appalling. Of all the places I have lived, Teesside has the crappest priciest gear (please feel free to correct or contradict me, no, honestly, please do). A few years ago the nationals were making a big thing about the cheapest bags in Britain in Brotton or Skinningrove or Skelton cos they were a fiver. On the other hand, I live across from the sea and when I lived in London that seemed like a fantasy

farmerbarleymow

Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull
I think there are a few of us posting on here, but I'm not sure how many live there as some of us live elsewhere now.

I have many good memories of growing up there, but I just wouldn't want to live there again. I think 18 years was enough for one lifetime.

DownwardDog

Riding a Brompton with a power meter.
I left Hartlepool when I was 18 in 1985 and never really returned much until toward the end of my parents' lives in the mid 2000s when I became a semi regular visitor. It was only then with the perspective of time and maturity that I noticed what a strange place it was. Things I noticed...

A shopkeeper had never seen a £50 note before and refused to accept it or believe such a thing existed.

A fat girl with tattooed feet pissing in a gutter at 3:50pm on a Sunday afternoon while laughing.

A very good friend of mine has made a life's career out of faking various medical complaints for DLA. He has a knowledge of ME, depression and back pain that would shame a FRCS. This is seen as a completely valid career choice and even a family trade that is handed down through the generations.

The curiously frank and direct manner of personal interaction. I met another old friend while I was with my wife and, after I introduced her, he looked her up and down in the manner of someone buying a horse before remarking loudly to me, "Fucking hell! Nice one! You must be really fucking rich to have pulled that."

I would see groups of women in the town who were obviously grandmother, mother and child. The grandmother of the tableau was often I what I considered to be an attractive young woman.

In a related phenomenon the local paper takes great delight in publishing pictures of beaming multi generation groups where the great-great-grandmother (usually charged with holding 'the bairn') appears to be about 55. As if consistent multi-generational impregnation at age 14 was something to be celebrated rather than a depressing litany of curtailed aspirations.

I would rather be euthanased than live there again.

Last edited:

Miche

Hi. Born in Norton but moved to London aged 19. I"m 44 now and live in Folkestone, Kent. Lying in bed one night and suddenly felt homesick. People aren't as friendly down South, I haven't had a good belly laugh for yonks cause Teeside humour is Teeside humour. plus I don't fancy having a massive mortgage following me into my 60s. Drove back to Teeside a few weeks back to look at property, thinking of moving home... You can buy a 3 bedroom terraced house for 70k, whereas it would cost over 400k even in the London shitholes, for example. Trying to get my head around it. I'm done with London and Folkestone. Thinking of Thornaby. I was raised in blue hall, and am working class, albeit not a chavvy one. Sorry for ramble. People think I'm mad for wanting to move back, but Teesiders are friendlier, and most people in the same boat there. What do you think? Funny, the first thing I did when I arrived in a Norton, I walked straight to Norton chippy for a fish pattie. Can't get them anywhere else!!!

Last edited:

farmerbarleymow

Is Norton chippy still in that little alley at the top end of the High Street, through a rounded arch? I remember my dad getting all of us fish and chips for Friday tea when we were kids. :)

Guineveretoo

Mostly bewildered
I have redcar family - near the race course. I was also born in saltburn by sea :)

Big up the teeside massive :)
We used to live near the racecourse - in that we could hear it on race days, although we couldn't see it because there was a cemetery in the way, iirc.

I don't have family there, so don't go back. I went back about 20 years ago, because I was passing, and parked up outside the house we used to live in, but wasn't brave enough to knock on the door and ask to look around.

not-bono-ever

They are ringing the bells now but soon...
Lee Duffy didn't 'pass on', he died due to being knifed in a fight (started by him) after surviving several attempts on his life. He was the bullied who became the bully and had about as much charm as a common garden slug. Even as dull as Boro is, I can honestly say he didn't really 'add' anything of worth to the region apart from to those who get a bone on over gangster movies. He's that interesting that the only book about him that exists had to be fleshed out with bits about Viv Graham too. Never heard of the other fella.

fuck them both - utter cunts that pair of them

that book is worth getting though, its blindingly terrible rambling shit

farmerbarleymow

I once bought some tampons in Middlesbrough, and the woman in the shop said 'I'll wrap them in a paper bag so they look like a box of chocolates, pet.' I often wonder what the hell she was talking about.
What a peculiar thing to do. Wrapping them in paper rather than buying tampons obviously. :D

But then the Boro is a strange place, so weird behaviour is to be expected. Isn't that right Fez909?

Onket

Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]
In the early 90s I worked in a shop in Wiltshire who used to do the same thing. I suspect it's not that uncommon.

farmerbarleymow

Hi. Born in Norton but moved to London aged 19. I"m 44 now and live in Folkestone, Kent. Lying in bed one night and suddenly felt homesick. People aren't as friendly down South, I haven't had a good belly laugh for yonks cause Teeside humour is Teeside humour. plus I don't fancy having a massive mortgage following me into my 60s. Drove back to Teeside a few weeks back to look at property, thinking of moving home... You can buy a 3 bedroom terraced house for 70k, whereas it would cost over 400k even in the London shitholes, for example. Trying to get my head around it. I'm done with London and Folkestone. Thinking of Thornaby. I was raised in blue hall, and am working class, albeit not a chavvy one. Sorry for ramble. People think I'm mad for wanting to move back, but Teesiders are friendlier, and most people in the same boat there. What do you think? Funny, the first thing I did when I arrived in a Norton, I walked straight to Norton chippy for a fish pattie. Can't get them anywhere else!!!
I lived just round the corner from Blue Hall on the other side of main road from the old bingo hall during the 70s and we're almost the same age. Remember the Red Rec? Many a happy hour spent there as a kid. I went to Norton Board School, which is sadly no longer there. The weird thing is that I've never been able to find photos if the school online - you'd think there must be photos of it somewhere. :confused:

Fez909

toilet expert
What a peculiar thing to do. Wrapping them in paper rather than buying tampons obviously. :D

But then the Boro is a strange place, so weird behaviour is to be expected. Isn't that right Fez909?
So many people come to Boro from Stockton and other Durham dumps that you can't really complain when weird behaviour occurs: It's in their nature ;)

farmerbarleymow

So many people come to Boro from Stockton and other Durham dumps that you can't really complain when weird behaviour occurs: It's in their nature ;)
Nah, you've got that wrong. Boro just attracts the more deeply weird people from the surrounding area, doing those areas a favour by removing our undesirables. The undesirables are magnetically attracted to the Boro - a bit like flies round shit. :p :D

DownwardDog

Riding a Brompton with a power meter.
I've just returned to Hartlepool on a fleeting visit in order to bury a relative. I happened to be walking past the "Clippies Club" when I saw two acquaintances from my youth smoking outside. They were "Raggy Tash" (no explanation necessary) and "Stargazer" (wears thicks glasses and has some manner of brain damage). Raggy Tash recognised me and even though he hadn't seen me for 20+ years and his opening greeting wasn't "Hello, how are you?" or anything in a similar vein but:

"Alright. Just stand here for a minute, mate. There's two blokes coming out and it's gonna be the best fucking fight you've ever seen."

Also, 1 in 10 of the visible population has an aluminum walking stick which I presume is, in the main, a theatrical prop used in disability fiddles.

Onket

Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]
Does Westgate in Weardale count? I'm not the best when it comes to things that far north.

My Grandad was from Westgate. I never met him but he moved away and my Dad grew up in Leicester.

If it's any consolation I was gutted when I learned that I have family from the North East and therefore have North East blood in me. I found out 5 or 6 years ago.