Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's talk about Teesside.

Where in Teesside are you from/do you live?

• Total voters

farmerbarleymow

Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread just all about Teesside, so all us Smoggies (and adoptive Smoggies) and anyone who has been there can talk about the area, for good or bad.

So to start, I'm born and bred in Stockton, and it is a very dull town with nowt to do. I suspect it has always been like that at least since its mention in the Doomsday Book. I escaped at 18 as there was very little future there given the dearth of jobs. I've read that parts of it have a bit of a problem with heroin, which is sad.

But it has a couple of claims to fame, being one end of the first passenger railway, and being the place where the friction match was invented.

So not as posh as Yarm, but not as rough as the Boro is about the right assessment I think.

Casually Red

tomorrow belongs to me
its probably lost most of its charm since Lee Duffy passed on and William Limbs in the Loch Beggs got banged up . I met both of them during my first week there . Beggsy, a blow in like myself, appeared out of some bushes and began following me on my very first night there as I was wandering around a bit lost looking for my cousins address. Real characters who added to the towns overall joi de vivre.

Belushi

01 811 8055
R.I.P.
I've never been. What's it like? My brother tells me that Middlesbrough is 'like a bigger Port Talbot' which doesn't appeal.

Citizen66

splash the cistern
Casually Red said:
its probably lost most of its charm since Lee Duffy passed on and William Limbs in the Loch Beggs got banged up . I met both of them during my first week there . Beggsy, a blow in like myself, appeared out of some bushes and began following me on my very first night there as I was wandering around a bit lost looking for my cousins address. Real characters who added to the towns overall joi de vivre.
Lee Duffy didn't 'pass on', he died due to being knifed in a fight (started by him) after surviving several attempts on his life. He was the bullied who became the bully and had about as much charm as a common garden slug. Even as dull as Boro is, I can honestly say he didn't really 'add' anything of worth to the region apart from to those who get a bone on over gangster movies. He's that interesting that the only book about him that exists had to be fleshed out with bits about Viv Graham too. Never heard of the other fella.

Last edited:

neonwilderness

What would Badgers do?
Despite living quite close it's not somewhere I visit a lot. My main experience of Teesside is either driving though on the A19 or changing trains at Boro. I've not been to the station for a couple of years, but it used to be a right shit hole :hmm:

I quite like the industrial-esque coastlines though.

farmerbarleymow

Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull
Despite living quite close it's not somewhere I visit a lot. My main experience of Teesside is either driving though on the A19 or changing trains at Boro. I've not been to the station for a couple of years, but it used to be a right shit hole :hmm:

I quite like the industrial-esque coastlines though.
If you think Boro station is a shithole, you clearly haven't been to Thornaby station! That's not much fun waiting for a train in winter in a gale.

sunnysidedown

caput mortuum
Lee Duffy didn't 'pass on', he died due to being knifed in a fight (started by him) after surviving several attempts on his life. He was the bullied who became the bully and had about as much charm as a common garden slug. Even as dull as Boro is, I can honestly say he didn't really 'add' anything of worth to the region apart from to those who get a bone on over gangster movies. He's that interesting that the only book about him that exists had to be fleshed out with bits about Viv Graham too. Never heard of the other fella.
I lived in Boro for a bit (North Ormesby), interesting place in parts. I also used to live opposite the pub Viv Graham was murdered in up on Tyneside, don't think those two ever met face to face (they were certainly aware of each other though). What was the book?

Citizen66

splash the cistern
I lived in Boro for a bit (North Ormesby), interesting place in parts. I also used to live opposite the pub Viv Graham was murdered in up on Tyneside, don't think those two ever met face to face (they were certainly aware of each other though). What was the book?
There was supposed to be a 'winner takes all' fight between Graham and Duffy organised by a Newcastle crime family that Graham (probably correctly) suspected was a ruse to assasinate him. The badly written book can be 'evaluated' here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=J8wYs9af2jUC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Casually Red

tomorrow belongs to me
i was being facetious . The last time i remember seeing duffy he was on crutches hammering on someones door with 2 frightened looking studenty dealers peering out the top window . Hed previously been shot in the leg and had a cast, not that it stopped him going after his victims. He was just this permanent cloud of bad news that hovered over the place, a tawdry little bullyboy as you say whos mission in life seemed to just be making the places life a misery.
Beggsy was a rather bright student from over here who started his beheading and dismembering spree while in Middlesboro. But who got let off on a technicality after his first victim , also a student, was found in a number of pieces . There were posters up in a number of pubs frequented by students warning them not to talk to him, as he had a habit of coming back every now and then and lurking about . Which he was obviously doing when he came out of the bushes on my first night there and started tailing me for a bit .

both tended to colour my view of the place from hereonin after that .

eta

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1593920.stm

Last edited:

Guineveretoo

Mostly bewildered
I was actually born in Saltburn-by-sea, since that is where the nursing home was, but we lived in Redcar.

It was in the North Riding of Yorkshire in those days. Then it became Cleveland for a while, and then Teesside. Then I left :)

weltweit

I have no complaints about Teesiders. I crashed my motorbike there years ago and the very next people who happened along that road picked me up and took me and my buddy back to theirs for the night, to fix the bike and then a slap up breakfast in the morning. Back then I made a habit of having bike problems, the only other place where people were as friendly as that was France.

lemontop

hungry luma
I am from Boro but live in London now. In fact just heading back after spending a week there so am feeling quite homesick for the old place. If only there were more bloody jobs there!

Buckaroo

Donkey piss and tractors

Last edited:

Lorca

Somebody after all, had to make a start
I used to live by Saltburn and worked in a probation hostel in marton road boro for a while and i also worked in hartlepool and the pit villages as well. i'm a midlander, but i always thought teesiders were on the whole a friendly bunch. funnily enough, i always thought stockton was rough as fuck, perceptions though innit. mind, pretty bad heroin problem in the boro - i was told because its a port, dunno if thats true though.

Fez909

toilet expert
I used to live by Saltburn and worked in a probation hostel in marton road boro for a while and i also worked in hartlepool and the pit villages as well. i'm a midlander, but i always thought teesiders were on the whole a friendly bunch. funnily enough, i always thought stockton was rough as fuck, perceptions though innit. mind, pretty bad heroin problem in the boro - i was told because its a port, dunno if thats true though.
I always thought Stockton rough(er), too. But I'm from Boro so probably biased. Comparing it to Yarm is fairly offensive to Yarm I think :D

Fez909

toilet expert
Did anyone see this series when it was on?

I really enjoyed it. The first episode he goes back to Hartlepool and talks about growing up there. He's a likeable fella, and gives a good account of being a kid in the north east.

Citizen66

splash the cistern
We're gonna end up talking about the Brambles Farm again. I don't think anywhere in Stockton is comparable. I think Grangetown probably has the worst reputation. That's not really Boro though, is it?

Lorca

Somebody after all, had to make a start
i used to see roy chubby brown occasionally in grangetown. never got his autograph tho

Guineveretoo

Mostly bewildered
I am not sure what everyone is on about, really. My memories of Teesside are from the late 50s and 60s. I remember Redcar beach, which was mostly filthy and smelly and covered in jellyfish, but still had donkeys on it in the summer. I remember Marske (pronounced Mask, not Marske, for some reason) which had a lovely beach, and also had a permanent funfair thing, and had lovely woods nearby (Coatham, I think?) where we used to go and pretend to be whatever we wanted. I remember pretending to smoke with my friends in a hut in those woods.

I remember going on the bus to Eston baths to swim, because the pool there was much better than the one in Redcar which was cold and scuzzy and falling down. I remember we went to Billingham ice rink, too, although I never managed to learn how to skate.

My memories are mostly happy.

I also remember the smells. It was quite common to have chemical smells from ICI or one of the other chemical or iron works in the area. Sometimes, a siren would sound, and we all had to stay indoors because there had been a chemical spill and the air was too polluted for us to play outside. We never got a day off school for that, though.

My school days were mostly happy - I went to Zetland primary school and I was in the choir, and we kept winning things. We went to Scarborough and Whitby and York for school choir events. I was also in the church choir, of the church next door, St Peters, so some of the choir events I can remember were probably them, rather than the school. I couldn't actually sing, and I can't now. I have no idea why they kept me in the choir. But I loved it.

Later, I was in the church youth club, and we used to smoke in the toilets in the church hall where the meetings were held. Everyone smoked in those days, including the clergy folk, so I don't think anyone actually realised. We bought cigarettes singly from a local shop near the sea front. I can't have been more than 13, because that is how old I was when we moved, I believe.

I was also in the Brownies and Guides in the same church hall.

The secondary school I went to was called Cleveland Grammar School and it was bizarre. We were not allowed to speak to the kids from the secondary modern school next door, even if there were relatives or best friends, so we had to part at the end of the road when walking to school. We had to wear grey stockings, not tights, and were not allowed to wear white socks because they were "common" or patent leather shoes because they were "common" and reflected your underwear.

There - that is me talking about Teesside. :)

Last edited:

Citizen66

splash the cistern
Lorca said:
This story about boro always makes me chuckle (even though it's pretty terrible really) Apparently the local kids were being poisoned from buying fake fags made out of battery acid and dead flies :eek: from 'tab houses'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-14207370
From that article:

"But generally they're between 13 and 14 which is a lot younger than the legal age of 18 for buying and selling cigarettes."
I thought you could buy ciggies at 16 :confused: