Let's talk about China

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by not-bono-ever, Jul 29, 2015.

1. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Lots of stuff happening,much of which is covered in other threads but I do think its worth while having a thread on china- observations and comment on its ongoing political and probably more importantly,economic* travails.

* no smart arse economic knowledge oneupmanship or muscle flexing allowed-lets keep this accessible...

2. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Their human rights are shite, they are hoovering up resources and polluting at an astonishing rate, no one cares cos we like cheap tat.

Mab, likesfish and Artaxerxes like this.
  3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

on the other hand, investement in african infrastructure.

Nigel likes this.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

we will care when it is no longer so cheap

5. Pickman's model

and the purchasing of infrastructure throughout the rest of the world, e.g. liverpool docks.

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  6. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

I don't buy the peaceful rise stuff one bit - why would you trust a government that is so oppressive to its own people?

The nine-dot line stuff is worrying, as is the Senkaku dispute with Japan.

7. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

It'll also be interesting to see how Chinese policy progresses on N.Korea as well.

8. not-bono-ever

9. not-bono-ever

Mods - can you lock the thread please.we have our conclusion already

yield likes this.
  10. not-bono-ever

11. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

the cross-removal campaign they've got going on is a bit concerning especially since according to some reports, they employed a bunch of militant buddhist monks to help them do it.

DotCommunist - you/your mum might know more on persecution of xtians in that part of the world?

12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

I'll ask- the church in china has always reported persecution though. Bible smuggling became a thing at one point. Like bringing in illicit literature.

13. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

14. SpackleFrog

SpackleFrog Smash showy bell-bottom pants and sporty haircuts

Nigel likes this.
  15. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Eh, I consider them no worse than some of the economists we've had coming up with great ideas (that coincidentally benefited them and their mates rather than actual working people)

16. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

China is the world's lead investor in wind power and invested more in renewables than the EU last year, they are on target for 20% of energy from renewables by 2020. The UK's target is 15%. In 2015 China aims to install more than twice as much solar capacity as the US installed last year. China is also strengthening it's targets to reduce coal consumption and is targeting a reduction in total energy use per unit of GDP.

quimcunx, coley, Nigel and 1 other person like this.
  17. SpackleFrog

SpackleFrog Smash showy bell-bottom pants and sporty haircuts

That's interesting, got a source?

I believe I read something a while back about how China was producing more wind turbines and solar panels than there was demand for in the global economy at one point.

18. machine cat

machine cat nod from the big man as kosher Banned

Don't really understand what the cross removal is all about really. There's not that many churches in China, visibly at least. As for persecution, obviously there's a long history of it, but these days most christians are very open about their practise, the western missionaries even more so.

19. Combustible

Combustible Well-Known Member

It's also a bit rich to complain about China's energy consumption, when it is lower per capita then most Western countries. And that includes the energy used to produce the cheap tat for said Western consumers.

quimcunx, Nigel, mather and 4 others like this.
  20. Coolfonz

Coolfonz Not cool or a member of the Fonz family

iirc it was 2012 china produced more solar panels in TW capacity terms than were installed in the world at the time.

at which point everyone else's solar panel producers went bust.

something like that...

Nigel likes this.
  21. yield

yield zero

This is what China's version of Quantitative Easing looks like
    09/08/15
    I wonder if it is "enough"

China slashes U.S. debt stake by $180 Billion, bonds shrug
    09/08/15
    A tenth of their U$ Treasuries and no movement. With a rising dollar and possibly interest rate increases.

frogwoman likes this.
  22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I heard yesterday that the Chinese had bought Wentworth golf club. It was said they are putting up the joint fee to £100K AND annual membership fee to £30,000 pa. Mixed blessings with this one.

J Ed likes this.
  23. Pickman's model

i will be more concerned when they buy wentworth detention centre

Nigel likes this.
  24. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

Steve Bell has had China as a subject of his last few cartoons. I liked this one.

[​IMG]

Nigel likes this.
  25. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

Or invest in our Nuclear industry.............

vanya and Pickman's model like this.
  26. not-bono-ever

They have just cut their interest rates and reserve requirements for banks to free up more cash.the slowdown seems to have hit home. It's 4Real officially now

27. Pickman's model

shit's gonna hit the fan

28. Pickman's model

Nigel and SpackleFrog like this.
  29. OURWEI

OURWEI New Member

"The Chinese" is a bit broad. :facepalm:

I've got some specific news about Chinese money looking for a new home. Huawei is going on a buying spree. Their aim is to buy tech companies in and around Europe. What does that mean for consumers? What does it mean for the big picture? I've got some ideas. Anyone else?

30. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes