Let's hear it for The Quo!

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Rosco

Rosco what was that?

Because the great Alan Lancaster and the amazing John Coghlan (sp) left leaving Francis and Parfitt to produce such shite old singalongs that my two year old could produce!

2. Groucho

Groucho Wrapped in plastic

I have some very happy memories of playing pool with a girlfriend listening to the Quo, back in the 80s. Quo were one of her favourite bands (ELO another)

Pictures of Matchstick Men is really good.
    Paper Plane is ok.
    Down Down is good and the numerous variations on the theme musically are ok too in short bursts, but obviously samey and unadventurous. You're in the Army Now is crap.

I don't own any Status Quo now, never have and if I did I wouldn't listen to it. Inoffensive though.

3. Groucho

Because someone told you that John Peel rated it?

4. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

it's just the best one, surely? perhaps Peel rated it because he thought it was the best one too.

5. Groucho

No doubt Peel thought it was the best one. Personally I think Piledriver is underated.

6. Dubversion

that's not what i mean. i was responding to your suggest that bluestreak only liked it best cos Peel did. isn't it possible that they arrived at this independently, and perhaps because Peel's tastes and bluestreak's might share common elements?

anyway, it was my favourite Quo song back when i had their patch on my denim jacket so :p

7. editor

editor hiraethified

I saw Quo live quite a few times when I was young, and the heady mix of youth, flapping denim, cheap cider and the relentless chugga-chugga of Quo's uni-dimensional riffery was a sheer delight at the time.

hash tag likes this.
  8. Dubversion

nope, even back in 1983-84 i thought they were dire. not like Gillan C :cool: :cool: L

9. Bomber

Bomber The Oatcake Kid !!

They were great for one night at Trentham Gardens in Stoke circa 75. I had my hand up my girlfriends skirt and her tongue down my throat for most of it mind !!

10. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

How did it go again...

"Ain't got no mind to speak of
    In fact I'm pretty thick,
    But I can slap on an axe
    And shake meself about
    And boogie till I'm sick."

11. Groucho

Yes, it is possible or likely. Down Down is a superior example of a Quo track after all! I wasn't meaning to comment on Bluestreak but I have noticed that "Quo are sh*t!" "Peel thought Down Down was really good" "Oh, yeah, that one is" is not an entirely uncommon exchange.

I've never had a Quo patch on my denim jacket, but my once girlfriend did so I used to put my arm around her just so to cover that one and the ELO one while leaving Motorhead still visible....

12. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

Your secret is safe with me. ;)

13. editor

editor hiraethified

Trust me. In pre-punk days at Cardiff, the Quo were a welcome opportunity for some cidre-fuelled dandruff-shaking.

Not even the slightest patch on the mighty Lizzy of course, but at least there weren't any 10 minute guitar solos going on or any weighty concepts being thrown around.

14. zed66

zed66 New Member

Wasn't there a single released called "It's the same old fucking song" or similar that started off with the opening bars of (insert song title here, the musics all the same) and then repeated the line until fadeout?

I remember seeing them on talk shows going on about how big the holes in their septum were and how Rick or the other mullet headed clown had seen the tunnel of light after his tenth heart attack. I'm sure the Quo were the model for the start of Spinal Tap.

Every time I hear them drone on their Rock'n'Roll excesses I can't help but think that was a million quid wasted on coke, maybe they spent ten years snorting flour for all the effect it had on their creativity.

Still got to love 'em haven't you. Er, no.

15. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I never understood why the Quo released "Roll With It". That must have been one of their worst.

16. Dubversion

17. Idris2002

Idris2002 The Man From G.R.A.S.S.Y. K.N.O.L.L.

One of my Russian colleagues saw them live in Moscow. Most of the audience were neo-Nazi skins.

Half way through the gig, the pfennig dropped and the skins suddenly realised, 'hey they're laughing *at* us not with us'. . .

At least you never have that problem with the Quo.

I saw them live in Cork, ooh, nearly 20 years ago. Rather forgettable, I'm afraid.

18. Louloubelle

Louloubelle Well-Known Member

I saw quo as a kid, can't remember where

I have traumatic memories of 'greebos' reeking of piss, tobacco and cider doing that weird excuse for a dance where they put their hands on their hips and head bang the air between each other resembling the mating ritual of monstrous birds.

The antithesis of everything I love about music, quo are uninspired, monotonous, safe, pedestrian, just wrong.

IMO :)

19. Mr_Nice

Mr_Nice A Weekend Warrior

And don't forget about forty five hundred what a song ...... Errr
    MMmmmm well it was quite good in 83, inspired by rock school (sundays C4 or 5) I got out my lecy guitar to play caroline but my fingers couldn't stretch the 5 frets required for the intro Doh ......

20. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Hey we have a secret shared past Dub ;)

Except I was somewhat older ;) :oops: :(

21. William of Walworth

<rogue loose cannon cannot offer similar guarentee .... :D >

Without free beer ... :p

22. William of Walworth

Anything to say at this particular time ...... anyone??? :p :D ;)

23. William of Walworth

You're both talking shit and so were bluestreak and Peel .

'Down the Dustpipe' was FAR better :D :p

When you were about 15 ...

24. foo

foo dirtysweet

down down deeper n down :cool:

<nods head furiously as the toast burns>

25. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I love them because they never conformed to the TOTP miming thing, and used to chat to each other whilst we were meant to believe they were singing :D

26. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

I`m with you all the way on that , DTDP was an excellent bluesy album IMO,If you listen to it without knowing it was Quo you probably wouldnt even guess who it was ( maybe thats the reason of course).

Other than DTDP the Quo LP`s were just padding for a few adequate singles.

27. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I love the Quo :)

hash tag likes this.
  28. Skim

Skim has retired

No chance – one of them used to be my landlord and was an absolute... :mad: :mad:

29. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

I had Ashford and Simpson of "Solid as a Rock" fame as my landlords once. They were right tight arses.

30. Skim

Skim has retired

Perhaps we could a start a celebrity landlord thread :D